cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload folder full when trying to attach images to posts

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Upload folder full when trying to attach images to posts

It may not be that the upload dir is full but the actual device on which the upload dir is on is full.
If I were you I'd check my system logs and see what information they contain, but I assume this has been done.
I would have thought that the upload dir should in fact a temp store so that anything uploaded was in effect quarantined, and after passing inspection would be moved to a permanent place and the uploaded file removed from disk. But hey what do I know!
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Silly question, how can the Uploaded file be removed from disk if it's to remain attached to a post - unless I've misunderstood what you were trying to say. As far as the actual device being full is concerned, interesting. I think there are 2 servers (certainly 2 IP addresses) and there will be other stuff on these servers as well (I don't think they are dedicated to the forum - might be wrong) so some other carp on them may have filled one of them - anything's possible!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sensible answer. I say in my post that the uploaded file is removed as it has been moved (copied) to its permanent home having been checked for viri et al. This then allows the original file to be deleted.
Anotherone
Champion

Right, see what you are saying, don't know how clever or not, this particular set up is, but with the limited file types it might not need to be too clever.
drunkenmonkey
Grafter

Just got the issue here with a 35kb and 65kb file Sad
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Just failed with a 28k '.jpg' file

LOL, just got:
Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

while trying to post that.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well this may well be redundant but...
If you can load a file of 11kB but not one of 55kB then yes you're maybe short of disk space. However, if you then do another upload of a 45kB file then this should fail, and repeating the process several times with an 11kB should result in no uploads being allowed.
But this does not appear to be happening, so someone needs to look at the device (/var/tmp/, /var/spool) used when reading the HTTP upload stream, I assume there is some configuration option somewhere to set this. It may well be that the temp stream device that is running out of space so not related to the physical size of the upload dir, which explains why all the setting still look sane.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Anotherone
Silly question, how can the Uploaded file be removed from disk if it's to remain attached to a post

The image(s) could be saved in a temporary place for checking. All the images for a post would probably be saved and checked before being moved to the final place which could be as a database blob. So it might be the total size of all the attachments to a post that is significant.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Another thought: if it's a temporary work area and two people are trying to attach images at the same time...
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reply 22 : If that were the case then you wouldn't get an error while uploading a single file.
It may be totally unrelated and not implying anything but I can't help notice that the issue of lack of space has only appeared since 'spoon whittler' made this post:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,133711.0.html
Reply 23 : I think if it is an issue over contention this issue would have appeared before, and on a system designed to support thousands of concurrent users can't support two of them uploading at the same time then an upgrade or replacement is required.
Anotherone
Champion

Well, I see what spoon whittler is getting at, but it's not been a problem before that I can ever recall. There is a limit set for total size of attachments per post (or can be) but it can't be that when trying to upload just one file of 55K or whatever.
As for that post we could ask a mod to delete it altogether and see if that solves the problem Grin  He could always post it again if it doesn't make any difference Crazy
Edit: I've reported the post for deletion  Tongue
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

nope, we removed the deletion of posts after some whoopsies.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

FYI, I've linked to this thread on the internal problem so the people who will look at it know the suggestions and what's been tried.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anotherone
Champion

Sorry dvorak, what exactly do you mean by that? You won't delete it, because it'll break your new rules? Or you can't because that ability has been removed. If the latter, then a relevant member of Plusnet staff will have the admin privileges to do it. If you mean the former, then this is a time to break the rules. I've been wondering if it's possible that the technique has been going around in an endless loop until it's filled up the Upload folder - I don't know. But this is a serious enough issue, that clearly Plusnet are at a loss to solve at present. If it did turn out to be the cause then SMF need alerting to see if later versions are vulnerable to the same problem and the technique should be binned asap.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

But this is a serious enough issue, that clearly Plusnet are at a loss to solve at present

I'm not sure why you believe that? The problem isn't a high priority in the grand scale of things, there is a workaround available (uploading to image hosting sites and linking) and to be quite frank it's not been looked at yet since I reported it.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.