cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload folder full when trying to attach images to posts

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Upload folder full when trying to attach images to posts

@Chris : Ah, but will that be bi-directional, as we don't know what has already been tried.
Oh, we do now.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Well it's [Censored] up our ability to help YOUR customers Chris. So you all need to think on. Sorry to be blunt!
And you know my view on external sites for uploading and not all users will have that ability.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Mook
Reply 22 : If that were the case then you wouldn't get an error while uploading a single file.
It may be totally unrelated and not implying anything but I can't help notice that the issue of lack of space has only appeared since 'spoon whittler' made this post:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,133711.0.html
Reply 23 : I think if it is an issue over contention this issue would have appeared before, and on a system designed to support thousands of concurrent users can't support two of them uploading at the same time then an upgrade or replacement is required.

Could you explain how my post on Wednesday prevented someone posting large attachments on Tuesday?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion

Oh FGS,
Quote from: Anotherone
....... I've been wondering if it's possible that the technique has been going around in an endless loop until it's filled up the Upload folder - I don't know. ........ If it did turn out to be the cause then SMF need alerting to see if later versions are vulnerable to the same problem and the technique should be binned asap.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: spoon
Could you explain how my post on Wednesday prevented someone posting large attachments on Tuesday?

To be honest, 'No'. As I wasn't aware it was an issue on Wednesday, which is why I said it may be totally unrelated.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Quote from: Anotherone
Well it's [Censored] up our ability to help YOUR customers Chris. So you all need to think on. Sorry to be blunt!
And you know my view on external sites for uploading and not all users will have that ability.

Don't get me wrong here, I want it fixing asap. Not sure why all users can't use image hosting sites though?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe because they don't have a need for them when all they do is make an occasional post. I don't have one, nor do I want one, and having the ability to add an attachment(s) suits me fine.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

For everyone's information I've been using the trick of including images from attachments for years.
You might reflect on how long you've been seeing http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=100.0;attach=7785;image which is attached to this post!
Anotherone
Champion

@Chris, It's a rather tedious technique and will put off a lot of the less tech able/minded users.
I mean how long would it take for a relevant experienced member of staff to look at that post, delete it and see if it had been going around in an endless loop. I'd love it to be the case as the problem would be solved, but in another way I'd hope the system isn't that vulnerable and it's just a silly idea.
@spoon whittler
Whilst I appreciate what you are saying, how big is the image in the other thread compared to that in your sig? Maybe there's an issue been developing for a while and it's now come to a head (whatever the image sizes are), we just don't know. I wouldn't rule something like that out as much as one would like to think it's a silly idea, I've come across stranger things in life that one would not expect!
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Chris
Not sure why all users can't use image hosting sites though?

Because there's no knowing how long images will stay on an external site. I had images on webshots which I'd included in some posts and they just killed that site entirely!
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Linking to images in other posts is a total red herring! It's just another image which is retrieved BY YOUR BROWSER at the time you view the post. Please will everyone forget that suggestion and start looking for the cause.
Anotherone
Champion

I thought that you were attaching an image, albeit thumbnail?, to a post, and then using a link to that image, to embed it in the same post.
As mook has observed, it's strange that the Upload issue has occurred since that post. Again, whilst I hear what you are saying, until it can be proven one way or the other, I'm sitting on the fence. It's not as though the post is vital to anyone's connection, so if it's not having any effect you can always repost it Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero

For Gods sake! This is getting f....ing ridiculous. Look at the dates on the posts.
That post:
Quote from: spoon
Just <snip>

The first report of the issue:
Quote from: Kittyfrisk
I'll post my stats as soon as someone at the Plusnet end can clean my upload cache/space allocation, as at present it still insists that its full   Sad

How the hell does a post I made on Wednesday affect someone trying to make a post the day before?
Anotherone
Champion

That's a very very good point. So WTF didn't you mention that before, I didn't look at the dates, I took Mook's word on the co-incidence Embarrassed
If you'd mentioned it before, then you wouldn't have had to use supersize red letters just now, would you Tongue
Anotherone
Champion

Well whatever is causing it, clearly Plusnet are not giving it any priority, so we'll just have to keep moaning.
3 of us (if I counted correctly) have given good reasons for not using external sites. I'm sure someone can correct me if I counted wrong Roll_eyes