Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow, sluggish and buggy?

matt_2k34
Grafter

Slow, sluggish and buggy?

Hey all
Anyone else having any issues when posting on the forums?
Quite often i spend quite a good bit of time writing, (not noticing that the page hasnt finished loading something not required) then when the page does finish (2-3 mins later) the text box resets... =  Angry
I hit "POST" and theres a massive delay (page does nothing, displays loading as normal...) this doesnt happen *every* time, but it happens probably once in every 4 posts. If i hit "preview" the preview loads instantly, then the post button will work again (repeated smacking of post actually just makes it do nothing) Normally, i end up ctrl+a, ctrl+c quickly before the page times out (i norm give it a good 40 secs to post..) hit the breadcrumb link at the top, then join the back of the topic, reply, paste, instant post  Huh
stupidly long loading times (post page has been submitted, and then the page crawls back).
Currently using IE9/Win7 x64 with acceleration on in ie9 Smiley
and yes, it happens in FF before someone blames microsoft  Wink
my FF is a "clean" setup (every time it closes it deletes *everything* so i dont think its a cookies/cache problem)
Any suggests / people experiencing similar is very welcome, i feel a little excluded currently Wink
Regards

^^ just done, bit more sluggish than im used to but should be more than ample for forum software Smiley
Note, it happens when editing posts too - as its taken me now 4 times to do a simple edit 😛
30 REPLIES 30
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Slow, sluggish and buggy?

YES
And you can imagine how difficult it makes moderating.
Also uploading a small picture takes for ever
matt_2k34
Grafter

Thank fuck for that.
I thought i was going insane!  Cheesy
Hats off to the staff and mods who are putting up with it Smiley
My recent flow of posts might be coming to an abrupt end... heh
Smiley
Regards
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I reckon it's all the links to pictures here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,94496.0.html
How about deleting the whole thread to see if it helps  Lips_are_sealed
matt_2k34
Grafter

heh
Shouldn't make a difference Jim, seen hundreds of sites use many many threads much longer (particularly complaints threads on companies like Codemasters..)
More than likely because the community servers are under much more load and the kit isnt up to it, or a slight hardware wobble (HDD maxing out I/O or is on the way out?)
But then, idk how PN is load balancing community, other than i know its on a different server (farm?) to the portal
Regards
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Seen it happen but not for a month or more, it was down to someones signature image linked to a web server they hosted not loading.  Maybe time to give a block signatures option for the forum.
edit: bah never noticed it does have that option, maybe try that and see if it helps
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
matt_2k34
Grafter

interesting thought, particularly with the MyBB speed test being down!
But although its worse, i dont think thats the cause, looks more like communities issue, rather than stuff on the site (does it on new topics too, so theres no pictures n stuff... Wink )
Regards
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'm just not seeing these issues at all - community forum pages are loading at the speeds I'd expect and no slower than other forums I use.
Uploading pictures is just fine - I can see from the NetWorX monitor it maxes out my upload.
I'm on Max Premium with a solid 7616*/832 sync and I have the Pro add-on.
*Hold on, where's my full speed sync gone? Why has interleaving been turned on on my line?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
matt_2k34
Grafter

I wasnt including pictures in with the 'fault' jelv,
Personally its just the problems i listed originally. (no issues with images on teh forums)
when the pages load, they're instant, just seems to sit there doing sweet FA  every now n then...
does it on new topics too

Text only comment, and just my sig (just text) - so no major issues - site related or somethings hinky with either my laptop, or my connection.
Regards
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Regarding pictures the problem isn't the uploading it is what happens next
This picture uploaded at full speed but then the forum sat there for about 15 secs before posting
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Matt_2k34
when the pages load, they're instant, just seems to sit there doing sweet FA  every now n then...

Now that I do see. Click on a topic and it does sweet FA, click the link again an it's there at normal speed. But no way would I call it sluggish which implies it is constantly slow.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
matt_2k34
Grafter

ok...
Bursty, Sluggish in certain operations and generally unreliable. as i said before ive often had to "repost" my reply, because the page refuses to progress, so i have to copy my text out, reload the page tand then start over.
Regards
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Yeah, somethings not happy.  I got a bunch of emails from the forums complaining they couldn't see the db between 18:15 and 18:17 last night.  I've raised an internal problem to get this looked at
Would be really helpful if you guys spot any patterns here, i.e. certain times of day, certain sorts of action etc.  Embarrassed
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
matt_2k34
Grafter

Theres no real "pattern" tbh kelly, its happens more when making / editing (particularly long) posts, on topics which aren't very active (e.g. a day or two old) - so im guessing the db servers having a wobbler at how much its having to do Sad
You'll have to be abit more active Kelly, and see if you can spot anything too Wink
Regards
matt_2k34
Grafter

The topics ive had the most issue replying to are the ones ive just done actually  Huh
Why has my line been changed to interleaved?
Pain at the Pump
ADSL2+ Rejected by BT
all farely new topics (within 50 topics of each other :P) its just taken me 6 attempts to put a post on the first link. Joke  Embarrassed
Regards