cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random jumping off to another topic when buttons pressed !

Anonymous
Not applicable

Random jumping off to another topic when buttons pressed !

Is anyone seeing this fault, which seems to have started today  Shocked

I can be browsing a particular topic (nothing specific),  then I click one of the buttons,  and the next thing I know is that the action I requested didn't happen, but I have somehow landed in a completely different topic and on a random post (i.e. not the first, or last, or anything I might have previously visited).

So far this has happened when -

Having composed a reply, I clicked on the "Post" button, and lost my reply !

I was clicking on the "Thumbs Up" to give 'Thanks' !.

Clicking on the numbered boxes which navigate to the previous/next page of replies within the original topic.

I think were a couple of others, but at the time assumed that I must have accidentally pressed something which I hadn't intended to - so didn't commit to memory what I think I'd just done.

Crazy

16 REPLIES 16
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Re: Random jumping off to another topic when buttons pressed !

I think there might be a link to the authentication issues some have reported. In particular the post not going through (this can be resolved by clicking the 'try again' button dialogue box - that's how I get around it when it happens. What is happening is that the platform remembers the last 'clean' request that occured. Most of the time this will be the destination from a different tab in the same browser. When the error occurs it remembers the last clean request and attempts to take you back to that destination - even though you are on a different tab, it still remembers the other tab as being the last clean request.

Odd, I know. I'm hoping this will no longer be an issue when we get the authentication bug fixed by Lithium.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand your reasoning, but my "feeling" is that it's not authentication related.

This has only just started today, and the authentication thing has been going on a while.

I have had virtually none of the authentication issues that others have reported.

Could authentication errors occur on a simple change of  displayed page to 'next 15' replies ?

Clicking 'Post' probably, clicking 'thanks' maybe, but viewing a new page withing a topic - you tell me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've just had it happen again (on a 'next 15' replies box), and it is not jumping off to anything that could be considered a recent 'clean' request, as I have successfully done perhaps a dozen other forum activities since I last visited the page on which it landed.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Okay no worries and thanks for the clear description of what is happening. I have to get this raised in our bug tracker for follow up with @LouisaMartin to raise a support ticket as I don't fully understand why this would happen. If it was something I would build it would take you to the last page you accessed on the current tab which would make more sense.

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to add to your bug tracker, I hadn't been using multiple browser tabs when these problems occurred.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Okay thanks. I have added it to the bug tracker with a reference to this thread. @LouisaMartin should be raising this as a support ticket soon and I am also creating a post in their support forum asking if anyone else has had the same issue.

LouisaMartin
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

This has been raised into Lithium #00119386 

Louisa
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you both for raising this issue with Lithium, and for making it clear on this forum that you have done so !  Smiley

LouisaMartin
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Anonymous 

This is the response I'e had back from Lithium. I'd really like your help on this and would appreciate if you could get me the examples below.

I went ahead and checked our logs for any error related to user "Nibiru" for the last 24 hours and I wasn't able to find any.

Would it be possible to ask the user to provide us the following information the next time he sees this:

1. The time stamp of the issue (including the time zone)
2. The URLs of the start position and the URL of the destination place (the random location he is being taken to). If this happens intermittently - he should be able to just click on the "back" button in order to go back to the start URL and get the link.

When we have these details it would be much easier to track exactly what is happening in our logs and thus - to gain more information on the issue.

Ta

Louisa
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

I think this happened to me earlier when posting in this thread. I did have multiple tabs open so at the time so at the time I just thought I'd inadvertently closed one of them with a keyboard shortcut.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

LouisaMartin
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If you're able to replicate @bobpullen would appreciate hte details Lithium have asked for. Ta

Louisa
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

I'll keep an eye out.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Anonymous
Not applicable

Doesn't it strike you as more than a bit worrying, that (as you know) I was on this forum for up to 18 hours yesterday, made maybe 30 to 35 posts, read lots of topics, etc,  and Lithium can't find ANYTHING in their logs !

Next time it happens, I will try and capture that data.

LouisaMartin
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Its the error they can't find @Anonymous not that you weren't here. If you are able to get us the details, that'd be really helpful. Ta

Louisa