Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private Messages

FIXED
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Private Messages

Yes you need to have made at least one post, which you now have done so it should work.

Not sure why the forum software has this policy, maybe something to prevent spamming I guess. I don’t know if it is automatically granted or needs to be enabled by someone with mod/admin rights.

EDIT: There does seem to be confusion, as to why and why not people can or cannot use PM’s reading this thread. I must admit I am not 100% sure now either. Can I suggest to the mods the forum rules are edited to clarify what a user needs to do in order to be able to use them?

I have seen this question before on other theads I’m sure.

Sorry edit again, and a paragraph (as a guide) of generally when they should be used.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Alex,

That confusion is being discussed at the moment between the SUs, the mods and PN.

The restriction is to inhibit spammers and it is automatic.

However the business practices of the mobile board support team require PMs for the communication of sensitive information, so some new users require the functionality immediately.  There is a dilemma to be resolved - I doubt that will be a technology resolution, but rather it will be one of practise.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

So is it being said that it is OK for the first contact from a new user regarding mobile phone issues is to send a PM to a random one of the mobile team (who might just have gone off on a fortnight's holiday)?

Surely the procedure should be they make a post and if personal details are needed one of the team asks them to PM. They have made a post so they should have no issue PMing.

No change to current set up required. All that perhaps is needed is a sticky post in that board with guidelines on posting support requests with a clear instruction not to PM until one of the team asks them to.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

...and that is the distillation of the discussion taking place.

Reservations are (a) will people read it (will it make a difference)? (b) could such a communication disclose too much?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

A modification to the New Message screen?

New PM.png

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

That may be an idea @jelv.

I think it should be covered in the forum rules, but I guess it is likely new posters won't read them before posting anyway.

So something a bit more in your face.

You have people who post personal data, where the mods have to move them to a less public hidden board but on the other hand people who try to contact staff directly where no personal data is required.

Dalmuti

Same problem. Hope this post takes care of removing the restriction. 

Sool
Dabbler

Likewise, trying to remove the PM restriction.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

@Chris wrote:

Generally if you're looking for help or advice it's better to start a public thread than PMing someone straight away.

@Sool this advice still rings true Smiley

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button