Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Posting a new Topic?

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Posting a new Topic?

Two requests:

1. Can the "Email me when someone replies" checkbox be defaulted to unchecked please.  My Inbox is getting floodedSmiley
  2. Any chance that the Rich Text Editor can have an English (UK) directory?

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

15 REPLIES 15
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Posting a new Topic?

1) It was decided that it was better that someone got an email, than missed the possibility of noticing a reply, especially in cases where say they were having connection problems.

You could try not automatically subscribing to threads and only select the threads or posts you want to subscribe to from the drop-down thread/post menus on the RHS.

Whichever solution, it's one that should be clearly explained in the FAQ. We've also requested that people should only get an email for the first Unread reply (as SMF was) not every reply as at present.

2) What browser are you using? It should automatically use the browser dictionary IIRC.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@MauriceC wrote:

Two requests:

1. Can the "Email me when someone replies" checkbox be defaulted to unchecked please.  My Inbox is getting floodedSmiley
  2. Any chance that the Rich Text Editor can have an English (UK) directory?

@MauriceC You can fix the first of those by going into My Settings, going to the Subscriptions and Bookmarks tab then Notification Settings.and removing the tick from third General Setting "Automatically subscribe me to all topics or reviews I participate in"..

David
MauriceC
Resting Legend

@Anotherone wrote:

1) It was decided that it was better that someone got an email, than missed the possibility of noticing a reply, especially in cases where say they were having connection problems.

Not convinced.  If they were having connection problems then they couldn't connect to see the response anyway?

2) What browser are you using? It should automatically use the browser dictionary IIRC.

FF45

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

@MauriceC wrote:

@Anotherone wrote:

Not convinced.  If they were having connection problems then they couldn't connect to see the response anyway?

That would only be so if it were permanently dead, not say dropping or slow or noisy. And they may access email from a smart phone anyway Wink

@MauriceC wrote:

@Anotherone wrote:

FF45

It should use the FF dictionary Smiley

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Just looked back through spell checking discussions on the preview forum. Lithium had to change the Rich text Editor (RTE) configuration to allow in-line native browser spell checking.

However since in-line spell checking using FF 45 works (here) for me it would seem that configuration change was carried over.

The US spelling of color is marked in-line by FF, but not if I use the RTE one on the menu above. On the preview site I believe the US English dictionary was disabled in the RTE.

David
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Anotherone , i belive we have it wrong Lips_are_sealed  default should be NO email unless you subscibe to that post and then asked if you want Email notification , as is on 90% of forums i visit

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
spraxyt
Resting Legend

No emails by default is fine for experienced forum users, but frequently new users fail to notice a response has been made to a question they posted - leading them to feel ignored. Ensuring they get email notifications helps overcome that.

Personally I'd expect experienced forum users to go through their default settings and change them if they are not to their liking. Cool

David
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

Sorry Spraxt i must dissagree , if a new user posts a new topic to ask a question ,

I would not expect him to have to wade through a multitude of settings to stop getting overwhelmed with Emails , Where a simple check box

Email me replies " at start of post would be far easier for a new forum user

Anotherone
Champion

Sorry, rongtw, I must disagree with you about the Default settings for the reasons that spraxyt gave and those that I gave earlier BUT what is wrong is the fact that users get an email for every Unread reply rather than just the first, as on SMF.
This is something that we have been pressing for, but it's a change/option that has to be added to the Lithium core product and I'm afraid feedback on changes like this to the core product is IMHO pretty poor, that won't stop us from pressing for these changes.

Your comments about wading through settings do give me other ideas though, to make this a lot easier. I'm afraid we don't want extra lines on the page with settings, that's more real estate to wade through on a mobile device - and there's too much of that already, there are other ways.
First I should point out that there is the Thread options drop-down menu on the RHS (at the top and bottom of every page) where you can Unsubscribe - that perhaps could be moved in that list to the top where it's more obvious - but note that also unsubscribes from Notifications.

Second, we could change one of the Useful links at the bottom of the page. We have Unread Topics and Unread Posts, both go to the same page, just a different tab and considering the comments we have frequently seen about access to unread posts, I would favour replacing the Unread Topics with a link direct to Notification Settings. On that page you can change whether you are automatically subscribed to a topic and what aspects of Topic and replies you are emailed about and when.

Anotherone
Champion

Further to my Message 10 - what needs to happen here I will illustrate , the Useful Link to Notification Settings goes here -

My_Notification_Settings_-_Plusnet_Community_-_2016-04-11_09.49.08.png

Also, there can be clear instructions in the Help/FAQ. Currently we have

Help_PostingandReplying_Plusnet_Community_-_2016-04-11_10.00.09.png

In the section Posting & Replying, we need a new paragraph 6, which says something like

If you wish to change your subscription and email settings for posts the go to Notification Settings

That being a direct link.
I also think that as we have the issue of an email for every Unread reply, rather than just the first Unread reply, we might suggest perhaps something with that link in the Welcome message on the Home Screen. I'll have a look and see what might be good to suggest.

MauriceC
Resting Legend

I'm afraid we may have to disagree on the correct default on this particular topic.  Undecided  I want to have notifications, but I definitely do NOT want the Emails unless on any particular topic I deem it of sufficient importance to elect to receive Mail.  It seems that by unsubscribing I lose the notifications as well as the Mail?  Under the Subscriptions&Bookmarks /Notifications Tab, I have select 'Never' to all of the options to Mail me notifications and unchecked the "Notify me when I post, reply, submit a review, or comment" box.  I expected this to override the need to uncheck the box in every post!

Ah well!  Initially I believed that this was a positive change but  I guess that I'll have to unsubscribe and go back to the old way of just looking if I cannot get configured to do what I want.

Maurice

Anotherone
Champion

There may be a bug there Maurice which I may have stumbled across briefly when playing yesterday, I think you are correct in what you say about over-riding the need to uncheck the box in every post. I'll go and have another play.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

Anotherone , Yes i agree there should be a easier link to notifications Thumbs_Up

Or as i suggested just a tick box on your post to either recive notifications or not  , as your help via settings page is a bit long winded

Anotherone
Champion

The trouble with that as already mentioned, is it's extra garbage cluttering up a mobile screen, and you might not want an email but may still want the notification.
As already mentioned the real problem is getting an email for every Unread post, and not just the first Unread post.