Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On Line Now !

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

On Line Now !

Would it be possible to have a flashing green icon or blob or something, to show the member is actually "live" on line. 
The list at the bottom of the Forums page, shows the number of members "on line", but not their names....
it only shows the names of those who have "posted" in the last `15 minutes `   
The list could be vertical on one side (top right corner). and the preference as to whether you want to be "showing" could be activated via the members profile setup page.....
also ...
could an arrangement be made for "instant message" to "on line" members be instigated... Options again controlled on the members profile setup ?
30 REPLIES 30
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: On Line Now !

The text that shows number of users and guests is a clickable link which then shows all those users and guests and when they last accessed the forums. Tere is already an option in your profile to show if you are on-line or not.
I'm not sure what else you need for this?
Forums use private messages for communication, they tend not to have real-time communications options. For that you use messanger etc which people can give details of in their profile.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: shutter
Would it be possible to have a flashing green icon or blob or something, to show the member is actually "live" on line. 
The list at the bottom of the Forums page, shows the number of members "on line", but not their names....
it only shows the names of those who have "posted" in the last `15 minutes ` 

Wrong - it shows the names irrespective of whether they have posted in the last 15 minutes - the ones online where it does not show them are those people who have not ticked the Show others your online status? box.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
shutter
Community Veteran

To Peter Vaughan.
Quote from: Peter
The text that shows number of users and guests is a clickable link which then shows all those users and guests and when they last accessed the forums. Tere is already an option in your profile to show if you are on-line or not.

Thanks for the "clue"  "clickable link"    as the text is not underlined, I did not (and a thousand others, too, probably,) realise that it was a clickable link....
hence my original posted question....

To Jelv.....
my statement  " only shos the names of those who have "posted" in the last 15 minutes
is  prompted by the following  quote
41 Guests, 13 Users (1 Hidden)
Users active in past 15 minutes:
shutter, pierre_pierre, Oldjim, Griff, Assos, Peter Vaughan, mitchell20, jelv, grecian, Barry Zubel, Be3G, egrog52
unquote.
As both main issues have been dealt with this thread can be closed.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

It would be nice to know what all those colours mean, and also not have the colours so close to each other.  Also I am still wondering what a Bright Spark is Huh
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

The colour use is on Colins TODO list for this new skin.
Also the link showing users and guests online is underlined for me.
Bright sparks are just normal members who have contributed to the forums and have been nominated by others. It has no real meaning other than a means of recognition from the mods / other members for there help on the forums.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Just been down to the celler to have another look, Colin has been busy and it now has a legend, also I am using Firefox and it is underlined
shutter
Community Veteran

I`ve been back to the cellar too, as I hate to be proved wrong.....
the words in BOLD    Useres online          is not underlined,
although it is a clickable link, and does produce what I was requesting in the OP.
on the subject of colours..... would it be possible for anything that is "important" that needs to be clicked, should be in a bold colour, and not a "wishy washy designer version"  of the colour.  It could revert to that sort of colour "after" it has been clicked, to satisfy the "designer" element.....
EDIT..... as an example   the words Users Online is in a "designer" dark grey..... when It should be BOLDLY BLACK.     yes, it changes colour as you hover with your mouse, but whats with these wishy washy colours..... must be using the wrong soap powders....
pierre_pierre
Grafter

What browser are you using Shutter, its definitely underline on mine, I use Firefox, are you looking at the bit User Online or the bit below, Guest Users, both take you to the same place.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Hmm... In FF2 and IE7 it is both underlined and clickable.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Users Online is not an underlined link in my FF2.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
shutter
Community Veteran

I am using IE6 , as I think IE7 stinks.
Users Online  in designer "dark grey"  is NOT underlined.

Thanks Strat....  Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

did hou look at my answer?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

The 'Today' in« Reply #10 on Today at 17:29 » used to be « Reply #10 on Today at 17:29 » now it's designer grey Sad
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
shutter
Community Veteran

yes   here is the answer....
Quote from: shutter
I am using IE6 , as I think IE7 stinks.
Users Online  in designer "dark grey"   is NOT underlined.

Thanks Strat....  Grin

did you read my post? Huh Roll_eyes Huh Roll_eyes