Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inconsistency in Forum View post count -v- Unread Posts

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Re: Inconsistency in Forum View post count -v- Unread Posts

Lithium asked me what board were affected and i told them it was the Broadband board. I have now let them know that this board has been affected too and that I hope product devs can resolve this properly.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@jaread83  I don't believe it is a board specific problem.  I've seen it appear on a selection of boards over time.  Much more likely to be timing of events to do with load balancing?

NOTE:  I tend to leave the Forum 'Active' in the background for much of the day if that is of interest.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

I currently have 3 boards showing unread posts at the forum board level

1. Broadband - 1 post
  2. Fibre Broadband - 2 posts
  3. Community Site Feedback  - 1 post

Getting worse. Sad

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@MauriceC wrote:

Much more likely to be timing of events to do with load balancing?

I also beleive that this could be the core of the problem.

Thanks for flagging those boards too @SpendLessTime, I have whizzed another email over to Lithium to investigate.

I don't beleive that fixing the boards one by one is going to be a permanent solution here, something needs to be looked at in the code and the server configurations... something I am not able to do unfortunately Sad

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

SpendLessTime
Hero

Changed tonight as the list is now

1. Broadband - 1 post
  2. Phone - 1 posts

So Phone has replaced Fibre Broadband.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

SpendLessTime
Hero

And this morning it has gone back to

1. Broadband - 1 post
  2. Fibre Broadband - 2 posts

Weird. 

And tonight it has decided to revert to last night boards  Huh

Edit: add night time reversion of boards in error.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@jaread83 - I'm starting to get the same inconsistency - what's happening?New posts.PNG

When I go to those two boards - there is 'nothing to display'

John
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

There is a 'workaround' Cool

Use the 'Mark all posts in Community as read'  option.  It's a bit of a sledgehammer, but at least it makes the counts consistent and usable again.

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Yup -  I know that @MauriceC , thanks - and I use it, but the example(s) I posted above just keep coming back, and it's starting to bug me.Smiley

John
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It appears that there is some issue with the database that I have to keep asking Lithium to fix. I am inclined to think that this may be a load balancing issue or even a problem with unverified users posting (and their posts not being displayed until email is verified) but showing up in the 'new' column in the category page.

Thanks for providing the screenshots, it really helps me build a case to get this looked into by the Lithium product developers as a major bug.

SpendLessTime
Hero

Today's picture of "unread" posts

2mayboards.PNG

I'm now floating the problem boards so I can see at a glance how bad the situation is. Sad

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the screenshots.

I have sent an email to Lithium support asking for an update on my support ticket about this. I suspect it will now be reported as a product bug to pass on to the core devs to investigate further (hopefully) rather than fixing the database tables as that is a temporary fix at best.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I have been informed that a fix has been issued by first line support devs and product devs (higher up in the chain) will be rolling out a more permanent fix in the next maintenance windows.

Please take a look at the affected boards again and let me know if this is fixed. I am not sure when the next maintenance window is but it normally occurs in the early hours and once a week.

Hopefully, this should now be resolved but please let me know.

SpendLessTime
Hero

Not fixed here (although it is better)

2mayboardsafterfix.PNG

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks @SpendLessTime. I asked when the maintenance window would be and have been told it would be tomorrow morning (early hours). Could I request that you don't clear your unread posts across the entire community until then? You don't have to but your floated board list is quite informative about the problem. I would be very interested to see if this fix works in your case.

And if it doesn't work... well... I will just have to go back to Lithium and ask them to revisit this again and dig a bit deeper.