cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inconsistency in Forum View post count -v- Unread Posts

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Inconsistency in Forum View post count -v- Unread Posts

@Anotherone - I am seeing an inconsistency on the Business Board (1 new post) with latest post, but viewing the posts shows that post is 8 days as mentioned. What about a Mod deleting a post?

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Let me reply to your PM.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@Anonymous wrote:

@Townman, @Anotherone, @MauriceC - Just a thought, but could this have anything to do with the spam trap?

It's a bit "off the wall",  but a possible 'maybe' Cheesy  How to trap it?

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

Had one reply, It's not Spam. Still investigating.

Anotherone
Champion

@Anonymous has your total count on the Business board gone up by one? I replied to an Unanswered post. Oldjim was seeing the same post count as me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anotherone - It's showing 2974 with a new topic which has 1 reply, and with originally showing 2 new posts this would be correct. I have looked at the Telegraph thread which I assume marks these as read but on returning to and refreshing the Forum View it now reports 1 new message.

Anotherone
Champion

So for some strange reason you are seeing an extra post which is unread. What happens if you view the Forum page in a Private Window?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@jaread83,

Do we have an open bug with Lithium on this one please?

I think it goes along the lines of...

"The forum summary board unread post count includes post items which "this" user is not permitted to see.  The consequence of this is that a user sees an unread count on the summary board, but sees no unread topics / posts when looking at the content of the board."

At the moment I can see this 'perception' on the Broadband and Router boards.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

As far as the Business board goes, as discussed elsewhere there were no "hidden" posts. I'm mobile at present so can't easily look at what you've just mentioned until later.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Anotherone wrote:

What happens if you view the Forum page in a Private Window?

Makes no difference.

@Anotherone wrote:
As far as the Business board goes, as discussed elsewhere there were no "hidden" posts.

Who mentioned the Business Board?

I recall @jaread83 specifically referring to hidden posts on boards as being thought to be the source of this issue - are you suggesting that "hidden" posts do not exist?

OT: Jack - as an aside, in editing this post, I've just encountered the resetting the cursor to the start of the RT edit window again.  Did you ever get to the bottom of that issue?

Anotherone
Champion

townman wrote:

@Anotherone wrote:
As far as the Business board goes, as discussed elsewhere there were no "hidden" posts.

Who mentioned the Business Board?

Mook did in the OP if you read it.

@Townman wrote:

@Anotherone wrote:

What happens if you view the Forum page in a Private Window?

Makes no difference.

That suggestion was for Mook based on what several of us were seeing on the Business Board at the time and was as a result of a idea from Jack and there were no hidden posts on that board at the time.

@Townman wrote:
I recall @jaread83 specifically referring to hidden posts on boards as being thought to be the source of this issue - are you suggesting that "hidden" posts do not exist?

That was in the context of the Total Counts on the Home page and the inclusion at the time of posts on the Hidden Boards. And if you re-read the above you'll see that I was not suggesting hidden posts do not exist.

MauriceC
Resting Legend

I've had another incidence of this problem this morning.  At the Forum page level 'Community Feedback' is showing 1 unread post, but there is nothing showing as unread in the Community Feedback board or Unread Topics or Unread posts.

I have visited both the Forum page and Community Feedback several times today and seen the count as zero on all bar this latest visit.

M

Anotherone
Champion

Well, I've just encountered something ridiculous, on the Forum page it told me that I had 10 NEW posts. Now some of those are because I had previously marked some as New. So I started by clicking on the oldest title (on page 1) and it took me to the last post of 24, which IIRC was the one I marked. I read it, Bookmarked an earlier post and closed the tab. Went back to the Forum page and refreshed and the count had gone down not by 1 as expected, but by 4 down to 6!
I went to the next Topic that had unread posts, clicked and again it went to the last post of 6 - this one I think I just hadn't read. I closed the tab, refreshed the Forum page, and this time the count had gone down only by the expected 1.
I then went searching for the next (on page 2.That went to the first of 3 posts. So I expect the count to go down by 3 - which it did.
Hunted for another - was on page 3, it went to the last post of 22. Read it, bookmarked a different post in the thread. The count went down by the expected 1.
Found the final one on the same page. It went to the last post of 16. On a refresh, the count is now 0.

So it was only the first topic where I had an anomaly. It went to the last post in the thread,so there should/could only be one Unread post, yet the count decreased by 4.
I shall keep an eye on this now.

MauriceC
Resting Legend

I'm getting bored by these sporadic inconsistencies, but more so at not being believed when I report them.

Perhaps I should just ignore them and they will cure themselves.Knuppel

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Oh I do beleive you, I am just trying to understand how these events have come to be and I am trying to collect as much information with user journeys and behaviour as I can so I can hand it over to Lithium support to look into.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.