Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Chat

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: General Chat

As long resident old f**t and probably irrelevant to many, my thoughts are that very many of the posts above have been unproductive.

They reflect this age just as those of the trouble makers and social media and the like. At risk of being political

Boris's words ring true there, here and everywhere, Over my 85 years I cannot say I have known such hatred between people, even of the same society: all very infantile, impolite and disrespectful of others and their onions

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Luzern wrote:

I cannot say I have known such hatred between people, even of the same society: all very infantile, impolite and disrespectful of others and their onions

So very true.

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

@Anonymous 

@Luzern 

Posters give back as good as they get and why not, and I'll not go all Godwin on the pair of you by giving one very good example.

Poison begets an antidote.

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

@Minivanman wrote:

@Anonymous 

@Luzern 

Posters give back as good as they get and why not, and I'll not go all Godwin on the pair of you by giving one very good example.

Poison begets an antidote.

So giving back as good as what is given is the order of the day, eh? Has no one thought of forbearance, or the soft word: Proverbs 15:1 -- “A soft word turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.” Wise people learn from others; some learn only from their own experience; fools won't learn.

@Minivanman If I offend or mis interpret you; sorry. Chat was fine and funny and I hope it will return eventually. For now it is better closed.SadCry

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Legend

@Luzern 

No offence and no misinterpretation.

"Steady as she goes" as @shutter might say. 

It's a funny old world though when world leaders of note can say the most outrageous and inflammatory things many of whom have been considered wise as the time and ogres in retrospect.

Even church elders (given your quote) are far from innocent in that respect, so how about John 8:7 - 'So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her', or Matthew 7:3 - 'And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?'

We have to be carful as you will know better than myself when quoting from the bible with no end of narratives and instruction describing, encouraging, commanding, condemning, rewarding, punishing and regulating violent actions - even by God himself.

To borrow from Michael Corleone, "We‘re all part of the same hypocrisy...." yet here on this forum we see others pretending they are holier than thou as if butter wouldn't melt.

Have a nice day. 🙂

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@Anonymous wrote:

@Luzern wrote:

I cannot say I have known such hatred between people, even of the same society: all very infantile, impolite and disrespectful of others and their onions

So very true.

See here's teh thing Laegen, you say that and yet you yourself said you were glad General Chat was closed and you were looking forward to some peace and quiet.

Now you're in this thread trying to stir the pot yet again.

Why? You know you are disruptive and yet you continue to do it repeatedly.

These antics of yours.. is this the best that the BBC was able to teach you?

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

Hatred is not new and goes back centuries. I like this song "The Merry Minuet" recorded but not written by the lengendary Tom Lehrer. Sums up how I feel today!

They’re rioting in Africa,
They’re starving in Spain,
There’s hurricanes in Florida,
And Texas needs rain

This whole world is festering with unhappy souls
The French hate the Germans, The Germans hate the Poles
Italians hate Yugoslavs, South Africans hate the Dutch
And I don’t like anybody very much

But we can be tranquil and thankful and proud
For Man’s been endowed with a mushroom-shaped cloud
And we can be certain that some lovely day
Someone will set the spark off…and we will all be blown away

They’re rioting in Africa, There’s strife in Iran
What Nature doesn’t do to us will be done by our Fellow Man

madswitcher
Pro

Dear Mods,

had you considered that by closing down General Chat rather than policing it a bit tighter, you had done exactly what the troll has wished you to do which is disruption based on self centred egotism?

to me, the 'three strikes and you're out' methodology sounds like a good regime to implement.

Regards

Mike

Minivanman
Legend

@madswitcher 

What we have here is a fair but of corner cutting, as there only seems to be the one moderator at 'on site' with the result that less attention is given and it's far easier to just use a scatter gun approach by locking topics and removing the main General Chat.

There has to be a better way, but personally I don't think they are that bothered to be honest. 

Herman Melville
Anonymous
Not applicable

Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 11.42.40.jpg

Minivanman
Legend

Moderators Note: Post with unacceptable language removed. 

Herman Melville
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

On second thoughts, slightly off-topic reply deleted.

Minivanman
Legend

Since when has the word 'apartheid' become "unacceptable language"?

The world has gone stark staring mad

Explanation please mod,

Herman Melville
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Your use of it in regard to the the BT community is what's wrong.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Minivanman
Legend

Then perhaps you should have made that clear, and I made mention of BT, not BT community.

Herman Melville