Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error with notification count

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Error with notification count

@SeanD 

(1) Depending on the page - 15 seconds to a minute.

(2) Firefox on Ubuntu or Apple  iPad.

(3) In my case the whole thing - i.e. I click a board, that takes an age to load, I click a topic, that takes an age to load. Note that during this time, all I see in the bottom L/H of the browser is 'community.plus.net', and there is no activity on my data monitor.

(4) As (3) - it is everything.

John
jab1
Legend

@SeanD - something strange, all of a sudden (in the last 5 minutes or less), things appear to have magically improved, but I will have to check later. I'm out for a couple of hours very soon - watch this space.

John
SeanD
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@jab1 wrote:

@SeanD - something strange, all of a sudden (in the last 5 minutes or less), things appear to have magically improved, but I will have to check later. I'm out for a couple of hours very soon - watch this space.

Thanks @jab1,

Yes please let me know.  Issues of this nature can be notoriously hard to pinpoint and if the issue isn't present it will be almost impossible.  However, if you notice this again or it remains slow for others then I will raise a support ticket.

The info you provided in your previous post is perfect, exactly what I needed 👍

Cheers

Sean

jab1
Legend

Just wondering: was @billnotben 's experience at 0933 the result of Khorus rebooting/changing servers, which has corrected this issue?

John
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

On that note marking all topics as read is back to it's usual zip for me.

jab1
Legend

Sounds like Khorus have solved it, then. 😉

John
jab1
Legend

@SeanD It is back - exactly the same issue.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

... to be a pedant ... the same symptom!

Sean asked for a screen shot... are you able to grab one please John?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

Next time it happens I'll try, @Townman  - but I doubt it will help. All I get is the 'left-right-left' loading bar and 'forum.plus.net' notifier in the bottom LH corner. (This is on FireFox', BTW.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Indeed, I have not seen it since I raised the reoccurrence a couple of weeks ago.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

@Townman Sorry, reading back, I think I muddied the waters a bit. My issue was slow loading of boards/topics, not the 'Room 101' issue.

Unfortunately, it is random today - sometimes they load instantly, sometimes taking 15-30 seconds, but there is no indication of when this might happen, so it is hard to get a screen shot - which is not going to be of much use anyway as there is no 'time' record.

In any case, as I think you may be aware, I'm only visiting when I've nothing better to do, so I'll live with it - maybe others will note the recurrence and report.

John
SeanD
Aspiring Pro

Hi @jab1,

Thanks for letting me know.  I would still like to have Khoros look into this issue.  If you are having a poor experience, my worry is, how many other customers are in the same boat?

When I raise a ticket of this nature with Khoros they will insist on me providing them with a .HAR file.  This will help them identify where performance issues are coming from.  The next time you notice a slowdown in performance can you please complete the following steps,

What is a .HAR file?

HAR stands for HTTP Archive Format, a .HAR file captures detailed performance data about the web page you are loading which can be useful in troubleshooting.

Instructions:

Chrome

1. Go to the page where you are experiencing the issue.
  2. Open the Chrome menu bar and go to More Tools > Developer Tools.
  3. In the developer console that displays on the bottom of your screen, click the Network tab.
  4. Click the checkbox next to Preserve log.
  5. Now, reproduce the issue you are experiencing.
  6. After you've reproduced the issue, right-click on any of the events that were captured and click Save as HAR with Content.
  7. Attach the .HAR file to an email and send it to me at communityforum@bt.com

Firefox

2. Open your Firefox menu bar and go to Developer > Network.  (On Mac use: Tools > Web Developer > Network)
  3. Now, reproduce the issue you are experiencing.
  4. After you've reproduced the issue, right-click on any of the events that were captured and click Save All As HAR.
  5. Attach the .HAR file to an email and send it to me at communityforum@bt.com

Internet Explorer
  2. Open the Internet Explorer developer console under Options > F12 Developer Tools.
  3. Now, reproduce the issue you are experiencing.
  4. After you've reproduced the issue, right-click on any of the events that were captured and click the Export as HAR button (floppy disc icon).
  5. Attach the .HAR file to an email and send it to me at communityforum@bt.com

Armed with the .HAR file I will be able to raise a support ticket to Khoros so we can figure out what is going on.

Cheers

Sean

jab1
Legend

@SeanD Thanks, Sean. It is a little sporadic at the moment, but I will bear this in mind. Note, though, that once it starts, it can apply (or not) to any action - opening a board/a topic/submitting replies - sometimes all, sometimes an individual component, so it is difficult to reproduce (at times).

John
SeanD
Aspiring Pro

Thanks @jab1,

These types of issues are always the most difficult to pinpoint, and perhaps the most frustrating.  If you are unable to produce the .HAR file because you can't replicate it, let me know.  I am happy to raise a ticket to Khoros without this but in my experience, I don't think they will do much without the .HAR, unless they identify an obvious issue.  Nothing to lose in raising a ticket anyways as you never know.

Cheers

Sean

jab1
Legend

@SeanD can't send it - the server rejected it as SPAM!!!! Any suggestions, please?

Send rejection message:-

Sending of the message failed.
An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: 0UWrpo0LbOE6e0UWsp556D message rejected due to spam or virus. If you believe this is in error please login to your portal or contact your ISP support team.. Please check the message and try again.

John