Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error with notification count

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Re: Error with notification count

It's currently being investigated by the vendor, but I'm off now for a couple of weeks. I may still be around but I'm not going to be reading my emails for updates. On my return I'll let you know where we are Smiley Thanks all

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

No problem @JonoH - it's with Khorus, so we wait for them.

John
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Notification count was at just 1 following @jab1 respnding to my post.
I'll see if anything changes when I next visit the Forum.
jab1
Legend

@Jaggies The error only appears the first time I open the forum in a morning - I am permanently logged in.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

This might be cookie related but not a cookie error as such.

Empirical observations suggest this is related to session keep alive logic if you’ve ticked “stay connected” on the logon screen. Leave the session quiescent beyond the normal session time out … and after first page navigation on return to the session, the notification count becomes 101 or some other static number. Visiting the notification page corrects the count … until next time.

Users not using keep alive are (I believe) not seeing the issue.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

Sounds very possible, @Townman . What is the 'normal' session time-out - I seem to remember getting the '101' after I had been away 4.1/2 - 5 hours on Thursday last week?

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi John,

I asked that question a good few posts back.

I recall your report of seeing the issue after 4+ hours.  That would seem like a reasonable duration.  Way back when in days I used to build .asp web applications I had diagnostic tools to find out the session keep alive time (amongst other helpful stuff) but these days I would not know where to start!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

OK, @Townman - I've been quite busy (both on this forum and elsewhere) and my memory ain't what it used to be.😀

Still think it's PN's 'vendors' playing silly mares, and not checking 'updates' are functioning correctly before deployment.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

In complex software it is neigh impossible to check every logic path, particularly those which are depended on long do-nothing scenarios!  Add to that an expectation that users will log out when they have finished ... and the test lab gets nowhere near the behaviours of real users.  Such is often why user experiences are not reproducible in the test lab.

In years past, as an end user testing a new software release, I have had the head of testing come storing into the test lab for a defect report I raised reporting that I could overwrite a write protected file network file.  Simply not possible ... until I illustrated it for him.  A scenario never likely to be considered in "normal" testing - open the file on one device, close it, change it to read only on another, reopen it on the first device ... and write all over it!!!!

Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

@Townman wrote:

In complex software it is neigh impossible to check every logic path, ...

Sorry @Townman I'd disagree with that there are static analysis tools that would do that for them. 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Would that include complex’s time dependent logic paths.

jab1
Legend

What ever was wrong seems to have been corrected. I have just opened the forums on both the laptops and the iPad, with no spurious notification count and no spinning dots - two problems resolved in one.

I'll still monitor it though.

John
Mook
Seasoned Champion

It may be working for you @jab1 but certainly not for me, as you can see here:

Not-for_me.png

jab1
Legend

OK, @Mook . Sorry you still have the problem, but note I'm still not 100% convinced, hence the 'I will continue to monitor'.

EDIT: Still seeing the 'dots' now I have come back. 🤔

John
Mook
Seasoned Champion

You don't need to apologise, it's hardly your fault, but I have to admit I don't see the 'dots' you are referring to up by my avatar, but I do get this:

dots.png

on my notification feed page.