cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pricing/Terms changes - October 2013

redsetter
Grafter

Re: Pricing/Terms changes - October 2013

i've had an email and its as clear as mud,all it does is invite you to sign in and what appears is an opt out page for emails' from plusnet.it does go on to mention that there will be changes on the 1st october 13 with some changes and that the monthly costs will remain the same,there's no mention of the £1.50 increase in this case.

as follows
Hello Michael
Important information about your Plusnet service

We wanted to let you know that on the 1st October 2013 we're updating some of our terms and conditions.1 We need to do this from time to time so we can continue delivering our award-winning customer support.

Keeping in touch

We'd love to keep you updated on our latest news and offers. If you've opted-in to receive marketing communications you may now hear from us by email, post or over the phone. If you've chosen to opt-out then we'll only contact you if there are some important changes that affect your Plusnet service. If you'd like to view our updated Privacy Policy and change how we get in touch, you can do so from 12st August 2013. Just click below.
Find out more
Terms and conditions
We hope you're happy with the service you've been receiving from us, but if you do decide to leave, please be aware of the following changes being made:

• We'll be increasing the notice period you need to give before leaving us from 10 days to 14 days. This means that if you are thinking of leaving, you'll need to let us know 14 days in advance of doing so. If you choose not to give this notice, please be aware that you might be subject to additional charges on your final bill.

• We'll also be changing the cessation fee we charge if you decide to disconnect your contracted Plusnet broadband service without moving to another provider. This charge will increase from £25 to £30 - if you leave under these circumstances, you will see this charge as a one off cost of your final Plusnet bill.

What does this mean for me?

You don't need to do a thing. These changes will come into effect from 1st October 2013 and will not have any effect on your monthly subscription costs.

All the best,
Paul Summers
Customer Experience Director, Plusnet
Awards
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
Have Plusnet carried out a cost-benefit analysis on this complex price increases?

Yes.
Quote from: cookie329
OK will do that. Please excuse me for being pedantic but I don't feel I've been given particularly clear and accurate advice by PlusNet and would like to be absolutley clear. I cancel the cease and request a MAC. Even though I am technically under contract, this will be granted without any penalties because it is PlusNet that has changed their prices and this allows me to extract myself from the contract.

You're entitled to a MAC within 5 days whether you're in a contract or not. You won't be charged an early termination fee. You should really have been charged the cessation fee when you requested outright cancellation but that's a moot point really because it looks like that was written off for you as well.
Quote from: cookie329
Once I have decided who the new supplier is and given them the MAC, the switchover will be done without any downtime.

Minimal downtime. You'd need to change the login credentials your router's using, or physically swap one router out for another which would incur a short period of downtime. If moving to a fully unbundled LLU supplier like TalkTalk or Sky then there may be up to an hour or two on the day of transfer during which you won't have service.
Quote from: I
With yet another increase in LR coming in soon , are PN going to be offering caller display for free?

There's no immediate plans Mike although peoples desire to have this made available to them is known to people.
Quote from: redsetter
i've had an email and its as clear as mud,all it does is invite you to sign in and what appears is an opt out page for emails' from plusnet.it does go on to mention that there will be changes on the 1st october 13 with some changes and that the monthly costs will remain the same,there's no mention of the £1.50 increase in this case.

Because it doesn't apply to you. It only applies to legacy 'Value' and 'Extra' broadband only customers. You're on 'Essentials'.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Re: Whacking great price rises - you cannot be serious....

Quote from: Quidnunc
Come on PlusNet - is this a joke? Just got your email telling me that from 1st October:
  Monthly line rental including evening and weekend calls - increases from £13.99 to £14.99 or 7.1%
  Talk Anytime - increases from £4.00 to £4.50 or 12.5%
  Anytime International increases from £6.00 to £6.50 or 8.3%
On my bill that's an astonishing 8.3% overall price rise when Bank of England base rate is 0.5% and the Consumer Prices Index (CPI) grew by 2.7% in the year to May 2013 (see http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/cpi/consumer-price-indices/may-2013/stb---consumer-price-indices---may.... How can you justify a rise more than three times the rate of inflation?

Worth noting that the cost of your overall subscription isn't quite increasing by that percentage, just the phone element. I can't imagine many people appreciate a price rise but we'll have pondered over the commercials pretty extensively before committing to such a move. There's plenty of stuff we're looking to invest in over the coming year or two and these price alterations go part way towards allowing that to happen.
I'm sorry you've come out as one of the worst affected Sad

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: Bob
Have Plusnet carried out a cost-benefit analysis on this complex price increases?

Yes.

A lot of customers appear to be a tad upset.
Was this forseen?
I think you may see a long term decrease in customer numbers - which merely increases unit costs.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Quidnunc
Hooked

I think that's highly inappropriate to remove my new thread about you price hikes and bury in another (this) thread where it gets lost and burried. I can understand you don't want bad publicity, but this is just another form of censorship. Bury bad news where it's less likely to be noticed. It is also wrong to remove the formatting I added for emphasis, so my comments sit there in small text.
Not impressed with this BIG BROTHER mentality.
I'm also an engineer so pretty handy with numbers. It is quite wrong of you to take the price rise across my whole package. I was comparing element for element. I've been with you for under six months so I could say with complete validity that your price rise is 16% per year based on my experience and time with you.
I wonder how long before you edit this reply so it gets lost in the forum?
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

@ Bob Pullen
you mention
legacy 'Value' and 'Extra' broadband only
, can you please say what situation is with earlier more primitive packages is e.g Home Surf or its successors?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

from the email:

As of 1st  October, a £1.50 surcharge will apply to Value and Extra broadband only and Value and Extra fibre optic broadband only subscriptions (where line rental and calling plans are not held with Plusnet). Customers on these products who currently have Plusnet Home Phone will only be affected by this change if they transfer their phone service to another provider.

only mentions those products so no others are affected.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
JonJon
Grafter

Received the email today.. I'd assumed from posts in this forum that it would be tailored to changes affecting me?
However, it just displays general information about all changes.
So still not sure how much extra I'll be paying in October, and whether my LRS will remain the same (I assume mine isn't up for renewal before then).
Regards,
Jonny.
mighty
Dabbler

I have only just found out about this after logging in today. What a joke!  Sad Plusnet are in breach of contract by doing this. You just can’t add ridiculous charges like that when you feel like it. So that means I will have to pay £21.50 now. All because I don't have my line rental with Plusnet. This is taking the michael.
Guess we can leave if we are not happy but not sure if I could, as I have not even completed 12 months yet. Now they have got this extra fee in the door, it will go up every year and will make us pay even more same time next year. It will be 2.50 next year then.  Roll_eyes
Not impressed at all.
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

@Quidnunc
What are you on about? you are in the right thread with everyone else who is up in arms about the high handed way PN has imposed the price hikes  Angry
But dont have a go at the mods they dont work for PN they are customers like you and I. PN doesnt have control of this Forum and your ire is misplaced. Also the large print is offensive and I believe against forum rules  Shocked
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Quote from: mighty
Guess we can leave if we are not happy but not sure if I could, as I have not even completed 12 months yet.
Not impressed at all.

Yes you can leave for free, the email footer note says
If, as a result of the changes in this email, you decide to terminate your affected service(s), you may do so without incurring the Early Termination Charge(s) that may otherwise be payable. If you wish to exercise this right you must contact us within 10 days of receiving this notification. You will still be liable for service charges up to the date of termination.

Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

scoobydoo1
Grafter

I have only just found out about this after logging in today. What a joke!  Sad Plusnet are in breach of contract by doing this. You just can’t add ridiculous charges like that when you feel like it. So that means I will have to pay £21.50 now. All because I don't have my line rental with Plusnet. This is taking the michael.
Guess we can leave if we are not happy but not sure if I could, as I have not even completed 12 months yet. Now they have got this extra fee in the door, it will go up every year and will make us pay even more same time next year. It will be 2.50 next year then.  Roll_eyes
Not impressed at all.

it doesnt matter weather your 2 months or 7 months into your contract, you have a choice to leave free of charge should you wish too, as soon as you recieve the email notifaction from plusnet,
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

If there was an award for upsetting loyal customers PlusNet would win Gold every time. Beware when companies start expensive TV advertising, someone has to pay and that someone is current customers.
redsetter
Grafter

Because it doesn't apply to you. It only applies to legacy 'Value' and 'Extra' broadband only customers. You're on 'Essentials'.

thanks for clearing that up.i was under the impression there was an £1.50 increase.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: Bob

Yes.

A lot of customers appear to be a tad upset.
Was this forseen?

Yes, it stands to reason that not everybody is going to be happy about their prices increasing Sad
I think you may see a long term decrease in customer numbers - which merely increases unit costs.

Something I'm quite sure people are keeping a very close eye on Wink
I think that's highly inappropriate to remove my new thread about you price hikes and bury in another (this) thread where it gets lost and burried.

I asked for that to be done. It's much easier for me and other members of staff to keep on top of questions when they're all in the same place.
I can understand you don't want bad publicity, but this is just another form of censorship. Bury bad news where it's less likely to be noticed. It is also wrong to remove the formatting I added for emphasis, so my comments sit there in small text.

It's nothing to do with censorship or burying bad publicity. It's entirely for convenience and to make sure no questions get overlooked.
I wonder how long before you edit this reply so it gets lost in the forum?

The reply won't be edited. Please remember as well that the moderators are customers like you, they are not members of staff.
Quote from: lucerne
@ Bob Pullen
you mention
legacy 'Value' and 'Extra' broadband only
, can you please say what situation is with earlier more primitive packages is e.g Home Surf or its successors?

No change.
Quote from: JonJon
Received the email today.. I'd assumed from posts in this forum that it would be tailored to changes affecting me?
However, it just displays general information about all changes.
So still not sure how much extra I'll be paying in October, and whether my LRS will remain the same (I assume mine isn't up for renewal before then).

I'm not on the VPN at the moment so I can't check your account to confirm, drop me a message and I'll check for you when I get back to the office on Monday.
I have only just found out about this after logging in today. What a joke!  Sad Plusnet are in breach of contract by doing this.

Whilst certainly not ideal, we're not in breach of contract. There's a clause in the overall terms of service that covers price increases such as this.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team