Did you mean: 

Pop-up and surveys

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Pop-up and surveys

Hi all,
We've seen a couple of people recently reporting that they've had pop-ups or webpages asking them to enter in to a survey regarding the Plusnet service. These surveys are offering an incentive to fill them in and occassionally ask you to enter payment details or to make a small payment prior to receiving the incentive.
These surveys are not from Plusnet. Please do not fill them in and if you do see them, we'd suggest closing the web page they are showing on and run an anti-virus and malware scan on your computer(s).
From our side we've taken steps to identify and mitigate the possibility that you'll see this survey by working with our security team.
If you do see this, or anything suspicious that reports to be from Plusnet, please report this to us so we can investigate.
In most instances, communications from Plusnet are via email (to the address on your account) and can be seen on your account at https://contactus.plus.net
Thank you for reporting these to us and please continue to do so.

EDIT: What it'll look like
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
26 REPLIES 26
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Pop-up and surveys

Are they the same as the ones AAISP is reporting? http://wiki.aa.org.uk/Mystery_Popups
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It would appear to be very similar, yes.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Just stumbled across this, surely this sort of issue should have been put on Announcements or even Feedback where it would have been more prominent and could even have been "stickyed"
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Thanks for the heads up.
If I'd been asked for a contribution then that would be end of my survey. I won't even entertain these companies that want a credit card number for a free trial.
Let's be careful out there !
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I came across one of these 'PN' survey popups while cleaning up my grandson's laptop yesterday...they are also Plusnet customers.
I ran Kaspersky and Malwarebytes....lots of PUPs were found.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Iamagnome

Cheesy hopefully this works... a pic of what the webpage looks like... it would help others to know what it looks like Crazy
See attachment
Anotherone
Champion

Hi there Iamagnome. Welcome to the forum.
Thanks for that screen grab, I'm sure many of us will now know what to watch out for.
lorisarvendu
Grafter

I've noticed two things about these (I've had a few recently).
1.  They pop up while I'm on Facebook.
2.  They seem to be targeted at known PN IP address ranges.
As luck would have it I'm at work, but I've configured one of my browsers to use my home connection as a web proxy. There isn't a dodgy reason for this - I work in IT and sometimes we get reports of web pages being blocked by our firewall, so I test them out using a vpn.  Anyway, the page that displays - http://www.2015-isp-surveys.com/ - doesn't have any content on it's own, but seems to be activated by a pop-up from within Facebook.  A pop-up that seems to know that I am browsing from a Plusnet IP address.
A tortoise? What's that?
You know what a turtle is? Same thing.
Biscayne
Hooked

Hi, I had the popup similar to the one posted by Iamagnome yesterday. It came from www_dot_consumers-survey-group_dot_com (_dot_ substituted for . to prevent a hyperlink) via www_dot_boreburn_dot_com via www_dot_express_dot_co_dot_uk
Quite clever, their server must perform an automatic lookup of the source ip address so that they can present the name of the ISP. One thing that alerted me was that the name given was "Plusnet Technologies Ltd" and not "Plusnet plc".
consumers-survey-group is registered to Whois Privacy Corp, in the Bahamas. I suspect that privacy is the last thing they deal in. A quick search suggests it to be a scam to get card details.
I have added consumers-survey-group to my router's blocked site list.
Maybe Plusnet would consider blocking the site for all it's customers as it could be quite convincing to those less paranoid than myself!

Anotherone
Champion

Hi Biscayne, welcome to the forum.
That's such a brilliant suggestion about blocking the site, Plusnet are bound to implement it. Just like all the other brilliant suggestions we give them get implemented ... not Roll_eyes
Biscayne
Hooked

Hi Anotherone, oh, it looks like I have a bit to learn about PN then :-[.
Anotherone
Champion

I'm afraid I'm being a bit of a cynic at present, have a good read of the threads on the Feedback board and you'll get the idea. Things ain't what they used to be, but not as bad as TalkTalk or BT (yet). But you never know, your suggestion is one that may get looked at if the right people see it.
Anyway you'll usually find plenty of help here on the forum if you need it Smiley
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hmmmm, when I first set up this thread, the pop ups were a little less prominent than they are now.
For now, I have updated the post with a picture of the survey. Will speak with QA about an ISP level block, though it may be a case a fighting for the dev time.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
gofaster
Rising Star

Yep - got to keep those developers focused on the high priority issues - like removing the High Speed Broadband link  Angry