cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outage 10/09/2015

garethok

Re: Outage 10/09/2015

Everything's cleared up for me now, can access all websites and not slow.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Just rang the PN service status line ( 10:28am), as usually no one has bothered to put the issue on there , why?
What a great feature especially , when you can not get a service status up on the website. Yet PN choose not to use out , or promote the number to customers . 0800 9176714
This has been brought up numerous yet PN do nothing
Kind regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dragon2611
Grafter

Quote from: tijara33
I'm back now but not being able to access the internet since 06.00 hours has cost me a small fortune. Well done PN, thanks for nothing!

If the internet is so critical to your income you would have failed over to your backup provider no?  Huh
I'm afraid I'll never understand why if it's that important people don't have 2 connections with different providers as a minimum level of redudency  Huh  Undecided
Timalay
Grafter

Uk sites (and a few others), wasn't working first thing.  Seemed to come back to normal after 9 this morning.
martinu
Dabbler

Just rang the PN service status line ( 10:28am), as usually no one has bothered to put the issue on there , why?
What a great feature especially , when you can not get a service status up on the website. Yet PN choose not to use out , or promote the number to customers . 0800 9176714
This has been brought up numerous yet PN do nothing

Yes I keep telling PN about this issue whenever I report a problem with their servers etc - that they MUST be a LOT more pro-active with updating their Service Status page with precise details of faults, as soon as they are reported and identified as being a genuine problem rather than user error.
In the past when I've mentioned this, they come out with lame excuses like "we'll change the status when we've identified what the problem is", which is far too late. Users want to know "Is everyone having a problem, or is it just me", even though the cause of the problem hasn't yet been identified and a fix isn't yet being worked on.
I get plenty of status emails most days about local broadband outages and intermittent loss of access to PN's web servers (I signe up to their email alerts) but when something really big happens, there's no email and nothing on service status.
These days, it's hardly worth checking Service Status because it almost certainly won't list faults which I know exist. This Community forum is probably a better place to look. Makes me wonder why they have the Service Status on the Portal.
OK, I know that today's problem has affected the Portal as well, so you can't even access Service Status any more, but when I first noticed the problem at about 08:15 and was trying rebooting router, changing to a different router etc, Service Status *was* accessible and listed no faults, even though by then Bob Pullen had responded to one of the threads on this forum to say that the fault had already been logged on an internal PN system. The fact that it was logged internally should have set in motion a process for announcing the problem on all the standard places that customers will look when there is a problem.
Everyone has problems and service outages from time to time, and I'm sure the technical guys are working hard to fix them However PN need to make dramatic improvements to how they keep customers informed of progress and any workarounds (eg the 8.8.8.8 DNS server fix).
creamola
Grafter

Quote from: Timalay
Uk sites (and a few others), wasn't working first thing.  Seemed to come back to normal after 9 this morning.

Not everything is working - including Plunet's own Service Status page at: http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2
Pretty fundamental if your own Service Status page, that tells users that there is a problem, is down, ahem, because of the problem....
KevinA
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Loving the quote of ISPreview..
At present it’s somewhat less “broadband that loves you back” and more “broadband that doesn’t work properly“,
lol
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/09/website-and-connectivity-woes-strike-plusnet-uk-custome...
thebigyin
Grafter

well for me the issue started last night about 8- 9ish and was still the same this morning, unfortunately  I am at work and unable to check if it fixed, just as well i have a backup connection  Smiley
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

If the internet is so critical to your income you would have failed over to your backup provider no?

Oh, so it's my fault that PN do not monitor their systems overnight, do not have any engineering support & rely on their customers to find faults in their system? So to cover their failings I'm supposed to shell out even more of my hard earned cash? Crazy
No, like many others, once my contract is over I'll be leaving. Maybe this is what PN desires: reduce their customer base to allow their totally inadequate systems to cope.
martinu
Dabbler

Quote from: thebigyin
well for me the issue started last night about 8- 9ish and was still the same this morning, unfortunately  I am at work and unable to check if it fixed, just as well i have a backup connection  Smiley

I first became aware of a problem about 8-9 PM last night: my wife's iPad would not connect to the internet whereas my two Windows PCs and my Android phone were fine (still using old cached DNS entries?). I rebooted the router and everything worked fine, including her iPad. She noticed that the problem was back this morning - again only on the iPad and not on Android, but I soon discovered that it was affecting some sites and not others, even on Windows PCs.
beeceegee
Pro
Fixes: 4

Feeling a bit left out - not had any problems here  Embarrassed
Cambridge area and using OpenDNS
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

I recommend someone to join Plusnet and it went activated two days ago and now they BLAMED me! Thanks you very much Plusnet. U have cost me a friend loss!
loungehake
Dabbler

I use OpenDNS and so was perplexed that my queries could not be resolved.  Is DNS being subverted at the behest of HM Government?  Will the implementation of that subversion lead to insecurities with DNS?  Security is one of the reasons why I choose to use OpenDNS.  Can I no longer safely assume that I am connecting to the web site that I think I am connecting to?  In other words could this lead to vulnerabilities allowing DNS spoofing?
cjags
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Interesting situation this morning.
Plusnet FTTC was not working but Plusnet ADSL was working.
Same router, same DNS!
I agree about the service status web page being behind the times, this community is the best place to come when things go pear shaped.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Move the service status web page into this community instead!