cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get your names in quick - YouView Trials

waynem41
Grafter

Re: Get your names in quick - YouView Trials

I had an email on the 20th but had already seen this thread and applied on the 19th.
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I definitely didn't get an email, read about it on a516digital.com and applied straight away.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

We emailed a % of the opted in fibre unlimited base with an invite.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Now I'm just upset to not be in the privileged %  Cry
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You can buy your own box for £170 (used to be £300) and have access to iplayer etc
as well as standard PVR features.
I don't know what Plusnet can provide that is worth subscribing to.
Freeview is Free of Charge.  Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

lonespeaker
Grafter

If someone had already had their own youview box from the original trial and on the unlimited fibre account, could they get in on the tv trial without having to be sent a new box?  or is there a new box to be tested also? 
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
I don't know what Plusnet can provide that is worth subscribing to.

Subscription channels such as Fox/Discovery Channel/National Geographic/Comedy Central/MTV
I assume they will also provide BT Sport and ESPN.
RichAllen
Grafter

I need Sky Sports 3 and 4, because they tend to vary what channels WWE is on, sometimes it's on SS 3 or 4, sometimes 1 or 2.
Heloman
Grafter

I can watch all SS, BT and many other channels free on my computer using XBMC and the Navi-x addon.  These are both available in my PCLinuxOS repository, but can also be downloaded to Windows.
They can also be watched on a smart TV using an Android device. An example is  http://users.plus.net/QL:2FDE1FDD
I don't know about the legality of such subscription-free viewing, but as long as it's available I'll happily use it  Wink
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: Heloman

I don't know about the legality of such subscription-free viewing, but as long as it's available I'll happily use it   Wink

Is clearly illegal - a breach of copyright laws.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: Heloman
I can watch all SS, BT and many other channels free on my computer using XBMC and the Navi-x addon.  These are both available in my PCLinuxOS repository, but can also be downloaded to Windows.
They can also be watched on a smart TV using an Android device. An example is  http://users.plus.net/QL:2FDE1FDD

My TV is smart enough to be able to play downloaded videos directly from my UPnP MediaServer on my PC.  Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

gc8839
Grafter

I'm really interested to hear if plusnet will be considering third party routers for this trial.  I had assumed it would be fairly straight forward to use a third party router (by enabling IGMP multicast and snooping).  However, looking on the TalkTalk and BT forums it looks like this has worked for some people, but others have had to go through a more involved process of setting up the IPTV VLAN details as well, whilst others have had no joy at all.
Can anyone confirm if third party routers are a part of this trial?  If not I would like to amend my questionnaire as I would happily use the plusnet supplied router for the purpose of the trial.  (I am keen to take a look at the YouView offering and see how it stacks up against Virgin's Tivo service which I currently have.)
beeceegee
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: gc8839
I'm really interested to hear if plusnet will be considering third party routers for this trial.....
....as I would happily use the plusnet supplied router for the purpose of the trial. 

I hope so. I tried the TG582 when it first arrived - it gave a wireless connection rate of 28Mbps, with the laptop sitting next to it.  Using my Billion Bipac 7800n I clocked a 70Mbps download on wireless through two internal walls.
TLE
Grafter

From what I can remember it asked for the make and model of router you are using, and I thought it mentioned sending a Thompson router if you didn't have one.
I don't think they will support 3rd party routers, I don't think BT do.
picbits
Rising Star

Well I still have my PN supplied router if they desperately want me to test with both but I also run a router with DD-WRT so can play with both Smiley