ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Re: Get your names in quick - YouView Trials

Quote from: PlusComUK
Why Fibre only ?

As Chris mentioned above
Part of this stage of the trial is to test extra (multicast) channels which are only available on Fibre.

Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Our typings crossed !!
Great Minds.
Actually....
I started to compose my first Post before Chris edited his, and checked details and info before I posted, so didn't see Chris's edited update until after I had actually posted my message, so then went back and edited my message, at the same time you were posting your clarification !!!
Hope that makes sense. I could quote Timelines, but I'm sure there's no need for that, as  it's obvious when you look.
Thanks for your input.
craig5201

why cant people like me get this im get 18 meg if talk talk can do youview with out fibre i think you sould look into it
dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

Because...
Part of this stage of the trial is to test extra (multicast) channels which are only available on Fibre.

That was already posted in this thread.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Mav
Fixes: 515

After this trial will it be made available to everyone or will you then need to run trials with those on ADSL?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

BryanP
Grafter

I bought a Youview box on eBay after it was first released and despite the various negative views on this Forum I found it a very useful piece of gear, before that I only had Freeview, It transformed my television so that I could get catch-up,  record programmes to view later including whole series, I then got Sky in so that made the Youview box redundant to me but my son who had Sky moved house and couldn't get Sky in his new house so I gave him the Youview box and he also has found it very useful, In summary Youview is a very good solution if you cannot get Sky, free sat or Virgin. I also found that the Youview people are adding improvements almost every month improving the system. Although as I have stated I do not have a Youview box at the moment, I have found there is nothing wrong with it and would highly recommend anyone who have a use for it to get Youview
I would also suggest that after this trial is over if PlusNet wants the boxes back I would like to purchase one at a drastically reduced price for a second hand one
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Don't get too excited.
I had a free trial of this box.
Boot time was a lot longer than Windows 3.1  Cheesy
Solution:- provide two "energy-saving" modes, one more resource hungry than the other.
YouView can't fix anything - they have to ask Humax to do the fix for them.
So errors take many months to fix.
I binned my YouView box - many PVR's provide similar functionality..

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

kankali
Grafter

Chris@Plusnet
I don't have Fibre (soon I hope). However I do have a Humax YouView box which I received from Youview when they where trialling the service before launch. I would be happy to assist with any trials as I already have all the equipment set up.
Regards, David
Mav
Fixes: 515

Same here, David.
As one of the trialists back in the summer of 2012 I have a great deal of experience with YouView and could probably offer a lot of input in any PN trial but, sadly, am excluded as I cannot get fibre Sad

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

alegeek
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
Quote from: I
Why is this been limited to fibre customers only ? When this is fully launched will this be offered to ADSL customers ( like BT do )?

Part of this stage of the trial is to test extra (multicast) channels which are only available on Fibre. When we launch fully we'll be looking to do an ADSL version of the service without these channels.

How come TalkTalk can manage to feed standard ADSL customers the premium content yet Plusnet seem to be taking the same route as BT and restricting the decent premium content to fibre customers?
I've got TalkTalk as my second ISP (working from home so need a backup!), I have since dumped Sky and use TalkTalk's TV service, the sky channels work perfectly fine on my connection and they give priority to TV traffic over your connection. The picture quality is decent for these premium channels on TalkTalk and uses roughly 5Mbps of my 17Mbps - even in a multi room setup which we have after getting extra boxes off eBay.
It will be pretty disappointing if Plusnet basically copy the BT format for TV content and I don't see how this will challenge TalkTalk as the BT exec tries to make out in the various online news articles. If I can't get decent premium content on my standard adsl, I certainly won't be taking a TV service from Plusnet and I'm sure many others won't.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Because PN use BT Wholesale services not LLU...
I'm guessing they will be using TV Connect
http://www.sinet.bt.com/511v1p5.pdf
alegeek
Grafter

I understand they use LLU, but what is the point in Plusnet launching a like for like BT service? the TV product available for BT customers who can't get fibre is poor and not to mention they have a very small set of premium channels.
Surely Plusnet need to be a little different and actually deliver a service that can actually compete content wise with Sky, TalkTalk or Virginmedia.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

If you read Chris' post properly you'll see this trial has specific fibre elements, whereas when the full service is released there will be an ADSL compatible product.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
alegeek
Grafter

I have read it, it's basically the BT service with a Plusnet badge on it  Roll_eyes nothing that is going to send shock waves through the TV world and cause any other TV provider to be worried.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I would be happy to take part in this trial, but i'm on a BT service.
Can I still apply, but it will go through my BT connection.  I will be happy to feedback to plus net  on how it performs etc...
I hope to join because it sounds really great.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up