Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

20Mb on Value

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

20Mb on Value

This morning we've taken the step to launch up to 20Mb broadband across all of our current residential products, you can read more about it in the blog here:
http://community.plus.net/blog/2010/08/03/value-goes-up-to-20mb/
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
111 REPLIES 111
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: 20Mb on Value

As I have been moved to 21CN but not ADSL2+ what happens next and is there an option for chickening out and then moving later
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

That just MIGHT tempt me to move to 21CN, at least now there's possibly something in it for me in terms of increased speed. I'll have to give it some thought...
Chris, will it also permit uncapped upstream on Value ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Oldjim,
Yes, assuming that you have a value account you'll be sent an e-mail which includes a link. All you need to do is follow the link should you wish to upgrade, ergo you can decide whether or not to do so and have a say in when that happens too.
MisterW,
If you follow the link and upgrade the upstream will default to 448kpbs as per our other products but can be upgrade to 1mb upon request.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Adam,
Does a move to ADSL2+ include a full retrain or do the present settings move across also
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

From the FAQs:
5. I don’t want to wait, can I get the faster service now?
If you raise a ticket to our customer support centre at http://contactus.plus.net  we’ll check the likely speed you’ll get based on the rules in question 11 below. All you need to do then is reply to the ticket advising that you’d like to go ahead with the upgrade and we’ll arrange it for you.

err... check out the answer to question 11!
Grin Grin Grin
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Bah, good spot Jelv. Fixed.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Oldjim,
Yes the line does need to retrain. The line settings don't move across but we've changed our approach to how we set these from the off.
For example:
If the ADSL2 speed is above 4mb we'll set interleaving to auto.
ADSL2+ is less than or equal to 4MB and the difference between ADSL2+ speed and IP Stream Max speed is greater or equal than 0.5mb we'll set interleaving to on.
Likewise if you we're provisioned on 20mb with these interleaving settings we can change them at request.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Thank you Adam,
Given that my line will probably sync above 4Mb/s initially but I would want interleaving applied could this be done at the changeover or from the widget in the control panel. If the widget would it be automatic or just a signal for someone to do it.
Alternatively would there be any deleterious effect of initially having interleaving on automatic - if the line is unstable is the first thing it does is to apply interleaving or to bump up the noise margin
Finally (I hope  :-[) if I go to ADSL2+ can I force it back to ADSL1 via my router or does it have to be via yourselves - I appreciate that this has been asked and answered elsewhere but I am too lazy to try and find it  Embarrassed
randpwar
Grafter

I was on the trial when ‘up to 20mb’ started so have been on Value and, presumably, have been receiving the ‘up to 20mb’ service for a while. If that sounds a little uncertain it is because my speeds did not alter at all. I re-booted the router each morning during what I believed was the training period, as per the usual advice, but speeds only fluctuated between 3.7mb (ish) to, at most, 5.3mb (ish). These speed changes would be exactly the same if I re-boot the router now when I am not going through a training period.
Sorry if this appears a bit dim but could +Net staff please check that I’m already on ADSL2+ and receiving the ‘up to 20mb’ service. Would you also please confirm what router settings (multiplexing, ADSL etc) on my Netgear DG834Gv3 are most beneficial on ADSL2+ 
Kind Regards
Rob 
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Oldjim,
The widget should create a ticket, however I know there are some issues with this at present so I would advise raising a ticket to anyone wanting to do that at the moment.
If you do go onto ADSL2 and want to go back to ADSL1 same advice again really, raise a ticket. We've not built any automation for this as we don't suspect there would be a big requirement for it.
randpwar,
Having a bit of trouble finding your account as I think your community username links to an old cancelled one. Can you PM me or reply with your details and I'll check the account for you.  As for router settings you should not need to alter them from standard at all. If  you need anything specific the support pages on the portal have what you need.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Be3G
Grafter

randpwar, the speeds you indicate (which are also very similar to mine) are within the middle band of speeds that basically see next to no increase when upgrading to ADSL2+, so you most likely are on the upgraded service.
randpwar
Grafter

Adam
PM sent, or at least, I think it's gone but it doesn't appear in my 'Outbox'?  Cheesy
Rob
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Did you tick the "Save a copy in my outbox" box? (NB There's an option to set the default for that box in your profile settings)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
thisoldman
Grafter

Be3G: as a great fan of your helpful posts could you please explain to me why anyone would upgrade if they wont get a faster speed.
As a non techie  im having difficulty understanding this. Also i can not find anywhere any info on when and if my exchange will be upgrade.