Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring Domain Away From Plusnet

FIXED
hodgeheg
Hooked

Transferring Domain Away From Plusnet

Hi folks, just a quick question.  Transferring my domains away from PlusNet with the closure of the Business services (great shame I must say...) but noticed that the online way of doing it has disappeared - again a shame as I much prefer doing these things online.  I'm wanting to do them one at a time rather than all at once.  Is there any info I need to hand other than the new registrars IPS TAG?  Also, what are the usual turn around times on the PlusNet side, and is there any point where email is likely to be lost during the transfer?

TIA.

13 REPLIES 13
csmith94
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 25

Re: Transferring Domain Away From Plusnet

Hi @hodgeheg 

Thanks for reaching out over the forums! All you need to do is comment on this ticket with the info I've asked for, I'll be able to get this sent off to our back office team to complete the transfer. This normally takes around 2 working days. 

During this time you would lose access to any emails associated with the domain until it's live somewhere else. My best advise on the email is to create a back up or transfer them elsewhere before you do the domain transfer. 

Curtis Smith
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

@hodgeheg 

The process and the response needs to be layered.  There are three distinct phases in your journey and to some extent you can determine the sequence.

• Move registration
  • Move name server
  • Move hosting

I am fairly certain that you can move the registration (as discussed above by @csmith94 ) whilst leaving the hosting and name server with Plusnet.

You can establish a new hosting server at anytime for your domain, before the registration is changed.  With some providers, you can set up mail import tools to bring the content of the Plusnet email accounts over, which can be left to keep things in sync.

When you are ready, with your new registrar, you can change the name server for the domain, which will cause traffic to be routed away from Plusnet to your new hosting service.

@MisterW is the Oracle on this space, especially in regard to minimising down time.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I am fairly certain that you can move the registration (as discussed above by @csmith94 ) whilst leaving the hosting and name server with Plusnet.

That SHOULD be the case. Moving the registration should retain the existing name servers and so hosting should not be affected. PN's domain system is a legacy facility and the transfer procedure is a bit clunky. TBH I moved the registration for one of my domains a while ago. Once I'd got my new email hosting setup I changed the name servers, but the PN domain control still thinks my domain is 'registered and hosted' 🙄

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hodgeheg
Hooked

Thanks everyone for their advice, I've the ticket open as mentioned by @csmith94 and just waiting for the PlusNet back-end people to do the necessary with the IPS Tag and we'll see how it goes.

Cheers!

csmith94
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hey @hodgeheg, really sorry I've just seen your post. I've got it sent off for you now and within 2 working days this will be transferred across. Once I've got the confirmation from Net Ops, I'll get back to you. 

Curtis Smith
 Plusnet Help Team
hodgeheg
Hooked

Hey @csmith94, no worries, I know what it’s like to have a huge call queue.

hodgeheg
Hooked

Thanks to @csmith94 for getting things sorted with the Tag on that domain - I've been really cheeky and asked in the same case for the other domain to be done as well.  That one's for my parents email and I'll be up seeing them soon so can get their clients transferred over in person Smiley

Thanks also to @MisterW  & @Townman for their advice, greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

csmith94
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Nice one, I'm glad it's all switched over smoothly. I was off yesterday so I wasn't able to update this thread, apparently our Net Ops Team are going through these pretty quickly.  

I've got the second one raised for you, again just give it 2 working days Smiley

Curtis Smith
 Plusnet Help Team
csmith94
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Fix

Hi @hodgeheg - Both your domains have now been transferred away and I've updated your account to reflect this Smiley 

Curtis Smith
 Plusnet Help Team
MBoyle

Hi

We want to export our domain simplon.co.uk.

The new IPS TAG is LCN

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Evening @MBoyle 

I can get this arranged for you but I'll need confirmation on the account first.

If you can respond to the ticket I've created on your account here and let me know once you've done so I'll get this organised for you

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
MBoyle

I have responded to the ticket ... but nothing has happened yet. Could you pursue this as we need to get the domain over to LCN ASAP
Cheers

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for responding @MBoyle

I've raised the request to the relevant team and we'll get that done for you as soon as possible 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team