cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speed drop after switching

jeff-man

speed drop after switching

I switched from Sky to Plusnet about six weeks ago and my superfast speeds have dropped even though the speed was predicted to be higher with PLuset at the time of switching. I was getting 63/19 from Sky and am getting around 54-56/18 from PlusNet (both measured via speedtest.net). 

I have read elsewhere on these forums that this might be a result of switching router (and the fact that there is no line reset/calibration when switching providers. How do I get my line checked and/or reset? Any other tips / advice?

As a side note, I was getting 74/19 before moving to Sky so it seems to go in the wrong direction whenever I switch 😞

5 REPLIES 5
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: speed drop after switching

Hi there jeff-man, 

I've just had a look into this on our side of things for you and line tests do show that speeds are a little below estimates at the moment but aren't showing any obvious causes. 

I'd try following these checks as your next step: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/

Please let us know how you get on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jeff-man

Thanks Adam.

• The lights are working fine.
  • Dial tone is solid (no crackle or audible interference)
  • All cables are plugged in correctly (have tried swapping them out too).
  • Router is already connected to the master socket. There are no other phone cables (eg extra lines) anyway
  • I have used two different filters 
  • I do not use the wifi on the router (I have my own wifi AP's) but  all performance measurements are through a direct-wired connection anyway
  • I have not factory reset the hub as the only thing I have changed is the password. All other settings are unchanged (out-of-the-box) settings. Besides, when I restarted the hub previously, the line speed drops!

Do you have any further advice/help?

Thanks,

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Good morning @jeff-man, thanks a lot for getting back to us and for confirming that you've taken some steps to troubleshoot your connection, I'm sorry for the drop in speed that you're seeing since moving across to ourselves. In theory, speeds should be similar, though Sky do use different equipment at the exchange. 

Not to worry, I'm sure we'll get it sorted. Testing the line this morning has found sync speeds of 59.5 Mbps, which as per BT's availability checker, is within estimates. 

Saying that, the RRT - a line test on our end, is showing issues across the board, as well as a Bridge Tap, which is associated with defects in the wiring in and around the property. There aren't any issues with line stability though. 

Going forward, I'd like to arrange an Openreach engineer visit for further investigation. Can you give me an idea of your availability next week? Openreach appointment slots are either AM or PM. 

AM - anytime between 08:00 - 13:00, PM - 13:00 - 18:00. 

Thanks Smiley 

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
jeff-man

Hi Adam.

Thanks for this and apologies; have had Covid but am now testing clear. Tomorrow (Friday), Sunday or Monday would be ideal if that were possible?
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hiya Jeff, thanks a lot for getting back in touch. Can you please respond to the open ticket that I've just popped on the account in terms of availability for an engineer visit nest week? Smiley 

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds