Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useless Plusnet Now ??

stathe
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Useless Plusnet Now ??

Here I am with no proper internet speed point five E mail doesnt work now and if it does unreliable  How do I proceed I need to keep my plusnet email address Do you do satelite based internet for remote people

98 REPLIES 98
stathe
Rising Star

Re: Useless Plusnet Now ??

Just switched off and on and some improvemerty but still prety dud and unreliable

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@stathe As I replied on another topic, NO  - plusnet do not do sattelite.

John
stathe
Rising Star

not bothered about compensation or contracts I just want it to work and need to keep my plusnet address

stathe
Rising Star

Would like cheap satellite and to keep my PlusNet address Any ideas for an 86 year old light user 

stathe
Rising Star

Still pretty useless in my area  When I switch on in the morning the connection speed is abysmal .5 or so (router is on all the time ) I then need to switch off the router , for a few minutes , to get an acceptable ( not really ) speed  Do Plusnet provide  a service with mobile phone 

Smith7
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Good afternoon,

Satellite broadband is very expensive like satellite mobile phone

Is the mobile phone signal in your area any good see below and put in your address to find the best supplier for your address

If so why not use mobile broadband by using your phone as a hotspot it's called tethering or purchase an *UNLOCKED* ALCATEL EE Osprey 2 4G   to use on any network I use one at the caravan and it's excellent  and very easy to use

Any questions just ask  

https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/en-gb/mobile-coverage

stathe
Rising Star

So how do I set about this my Vodafone signal seems good  Do I stay with PlusNet and how about my email as I need to keep my email address  as it is important to me 

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@stathe 

Have you checked to see if any faster services are available to you recently?

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL You never know !

Post your results here if you're not sure, be sure you hide you phone number.

You can keep your email address if required but you have to request this with PlusNet on the phone 0800 5871942

Dan.

Smith7
Seasoned Pro

If you leave PN and wish to keep the email address you have to tell them when you leave I think there used to be a charge but now it's free but you have to tell them at the time of leaving

I your speeds are as low as you say are they well below the Minimum Guaranteed Download's if so you should be able to leave for free

To use your mobile phone as a hotspot 

To turn your Android phone into a hotspot, go to Settings, then Mobile Hotspot & Tethering. Tap on Mobile Hotspot to turn it on, set the name of your network and set a password. You connect a computer or tablet to your phone's Wi-Fi hotspot just as you would connect to any other Wi-Fi network

My phone automatically gives the name and password to use 

I have just tested the speeds of  my PN mobile

Download 24.99 Mbs

Upload      8.6    Mbs

Good luck

pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I notice you titled this thread Useless Plusnet Now ?

Have you been able to establish whether your broadband problems are caused by faults on your landline or are inherent? That is, due to your being a great distance from your exchange, or inherently low quality phone lines?

So is this a new problem or has it always been present?

stathe
Rising Star

Long way from the exchange and always a problem , though sometimes worse and even  "Worser" The strange thing is I complain and it improves slightly to acceptable in the circumstances

Smith7
Seasoned Pro

Hi again

Time to leave then

How you tried to tether your phone using the Vodafone signal what results do you get

Just spoken to my daughter she says/thinks Apple devices do not support tethering  Android  do

Talkmobile which is owned by Vodafone and therefore use their signal have some very good data deals  

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @stathe,

I'm really sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with the connection. I've had a look over the account this evening and I can see that unfortunately the estimated line speeds are quite low. With that having been said, my line test that I've run shows the downstream sync speed to be coming in at a rate of 2.3Mbps, which is close to the upper limit of the estimated speeds. As this is the case, I'd just like to ask what speeds you're getting when you run a speedtest from your side of things and whether or not you're connecting via Wi-Fi or Ethernet cable?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
stathe
Rising Star

http://mybroadbandspeed.speedtestcustom.com/result/a3432710-718c-11ec-82c2-6d6580abc7a6

This is much better now ,but always is improved when I complain and I have to switch on and off to get a half decent result

This is by wire on my desk top and wi fi around the house Speeds above 1.5 enable me to use my bank and church connection and see my family on Meet