cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Fibre: Actual speeds < 50% of estimated speeds

bigheadtodd

Unlimited Fibre: Actual speeds < 50% of estimated speeds

This seems to be a problem that others are having as well, so thought I should post here after my second engineer visit.
Background:
1. I was activated 3 weeks back, and still running at lower speeds than expected.
2. Initially I was provisioned on the wrong package (40/10 instead of 80/20) and this was fixed a couple of weeks ago, asked to wait a few days but  didn't actually fix this issue. I was getting around 39 Mbps at this time.
3. After that I was told that my connection profile was erroneously set to 43 Mbps as the d/l speed. This was then set to the right value apparently but didn't fix the issue.
4. Then I was told that PN ran more tests and found that my line was restricted  (with profile banding (?)) which was keeping me at 32Mbps. So an engineer visit was requested
5. A BTOR engineer came out last Saturday  to remove the restriction. He spent quite a bit of time inside the house and out and finally left saying he couldn't see what was wrong. At this point I was getting ~ 28 Mbps.
Latest News:
An engineer came out today, and the results were -
(a) he couldn't see any errors on the line.
(b) his tests at home (on plugging into the line directly) showed ~ 38/39 Mbps
(c) at the cabinet, he said he was getting 44 Mbps (!) How is this possible when checks on both the Plusnet web site and the BT Infinity web site show that I should be getting 65 (+/-1)  Mbps? He didn't have an answer as he "doesn't get involved in that side of things."
(d) Before leaving he said he had asked for the profile to be increased but wasn't sure if it had been done and also that it may take some time to kick in. I checked using the diagnostics tool (screenshot attached) and saw that my profile does seem to have gone up from 32 Mbps to 48.85 Mbps. Still some ways away from the estimated speed though.
I also ran some speedtests from my laptop plugged into the PN router directly and I found I was getting  a d/l speed of ~ 30 Mbps and u/l of 8.94 Mbps (attached).
So there seem to be 2 issues here -
1. Why am I getting ~ 39 Mbps into the house when the estimated speeds are supposed to be ~ 65 Mbps?
2. I seem to be losing 9/10 Mbps between the line and the PN router. Is this because of a faulty OR modem or a faulty PN router? How do I diagnose this?  I tried setting up a PPPoE connection from my Win7 laptop as instructed elsewhere on this forum but I'm getting a 651 error when I try to connect using the speedtest user. I can try to do this using  username@plusnet.dsl, but is the password the same as my PN web password?
This has already dragged on for 3 weeks; as you can imagine, I'm not very happy right now.
3 REPLIES 3
bigheadtodd

Re: Unlimited Fibre: Actual speeds < 50% of estimated speeds

Any suggestions on how to proceed on this?
SuperSaiyan4
Grafter

I faced the same issue with BT and it dragged on for nearly a whole year! So I spoke to PlusNet and they assured me that the issue that I have with BT will not be rolled over to their system and that I WILL get 70.5mb however I am getting the exact same speed as I was with BT which is around 57mb down and upload is just over 16mb.
2 BT engineers couldn't figure it out then finally someone from BT said they cannot find what the problem is and it just simple be that they have more customers on the network on fibre hence why my speed has gone down and they will not send any more engineers out and offered for me to come out of my contract as they themselves said due to being mis-sold...
But looks like ive got the same issue with plusnet as well now...
bigheadtodd

It does seem to be a problem for quite a few people on PN, not sure if it's the case with other ISPs.
Sad thing is that I was getting higher speeds (39 Mbps) when I was provisioned on the 40/10 product.