cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect to the internet since 5pm today?

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Unable to connect to the internet since 5pm today?

I don't have to "buy it" - I know it because I understand how it all works - you don't. It's pretty obvious that in your case there appeared to be 2 issues, the Network outage and your loss of sync. You obviously don't want help (or need help because you think you know better) otherwise you would have posted the stats as requested, or if you aren't using the TG582n said what modem/router you are using.for help to get the stats.
I'm glad your connection is now working.
Endof.
MrPiffle

there appeared to be 2 issues, the Network outage and your loss of sync.

If you truly believe that my outage was caused by sync issues, how are you explaining the fact that my service outage coincided exactly with the wider PlusNet service outage and how are you explaining the fact that my supposed sync issues magically resolved themselves just after I drew attention to my account on this forum?
Anotherone
Champion

That's not what i said,  there was a network outage connectivity issue that's as plain as ........ YOU also lost sync, whether that was sometime after or when exactly, I'm not in the business of making wild guesses without any data - or are you suggesting a member of Plusnet staff is a liar?
I'm not wasting time on you any more.
Edit: To correct description to be more precise with the incident.
MrPiffle

It is notable that you still haven't attempted to explain how my so called sync problem suddenly resolved itself immediately after contacting this forum and/or visiting the "Thinking of cancelling" PlusNet webpage.  That's the clear elephant in the room any way you cut it. 
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

A brief loss of PPP about an hour ago resulted in a move from <don't know> Gateway to ptw-ag04, so I think there must be some load balancing still going on behind the scenes. Not reflected in DSL stats so I wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't happened to have the router in my eyeline at the time, but I'm not complaining as the average ping has dropped by about 4ms as a result.  Wink
Reading all the other recent threads on the subject, it's hard not to get the impression that the entire system is under duress at peak times these days, with some subscribers faring better than others depending on their exchange capacity, and also to some extent luck when things 'break' (I was one of the lucky ones during the recent gateway problems, but unlucky this time.)
Can only hope that the huge and seemingly unresponsive BTW duck actually has its feet paddling furiously beneath the surface!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@MrPiffle
The fault on Friday was that if a PPP connection was lost the users could not log in to establish a new connection, it did not cause anyone to lose a connection. It did NOT cause users to have any issues with establishing sync. If you'd looked at the number of users online graph you'd have seen it showed a slow but steady decline as people lost connections for whatever reason were unable to reconnect. If it had caused people to lose their connections you'd have seen (as we have in the past) a sudden drop in the number of users connected.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Wonder whether MrPiffle's connection just happened to be showing out of synch at the instant PlusNet Chris looked at it, because he had mentioned rebooting the router 'countless times'.  Undecided
Anotherone
Champion

I was pretty much a complete vegetable most of yesterday due to man-flu and unfortunately having picked up on MrPiffle's incorrect statement
Quote from: MrPiffle
..........PlusNet service suffered outage and was faulty since at least 6pm on 30th Jan 2015.

I unfortunately continued to "misquote " the problem aided and abetted by MrPiffle's b.minded attitude and refusal to provide any data to help analyse his problem. Of course I'm now reminded by jelv's post that it was a problem re-connecting if connectivity was lost (otherwise known as an authentication issue). So I think JayG, it's more likely that MrPiffle lost sync first, for whatever reason, and found he couldn't reconnect.
Despite my incorrect terminology regarding Plusnet's connectivity problem, it didn't then, or now, change my opinion of the probable reasons for MrPiffle's issue, especially considering his comment
This isn't the first time PlusNet have "tweaked" something and magically made my service work after I have reported an outage.

I'd previously remarked
Quote from: Anotherone
I suspect that you may have some other issue with your connection which this outage has served to highlight and needs to be addressed.

That continues to be the case.
As he continued to be difficult and refused to provide any useful information such as stats and what lights were lit on his modem/router at various times, etc, just churned out the phrase
Nothing changed at my end.  So "something" changed at your end,
and was subsequently convinced Plusnet tweaked something (which of course they didn't) nor I suspect did they previously.
It's users like this that always blame the ISP for their loss of service no matter what the potential problems or causes might be. Nothing has ever changed at their end (because nothing can ever go/was faulty) or between them and the exchange (water company contractors can never damage cables etc) or BTw's exchange equipment, all of these of course are outside the ISP's network.
He's probably got a faulty/clapped out modem/router or internal wiring, or a faulty line - possibly has intermittent noise - I wonder if he has problems with any phone calls, or there's an exchange fault. We'll probably never know as of course he'll take all that to another ISP.
Time for a change.

And then blame them Shocked