cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect to the internet since 5pm today?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Unable to connect to the internet since 5pm today?

Morning all,
Sorry for the late updates last night, I'll feed this back to the team. We've kept an eye on things overnight and can see that people are connecting as normal now.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Just been on the phone to CS to help get me reconnected - if anyone still without a PPP session is able to read this it's not just a question of logging onto the router and clicking 'connect' - you must enter the *plusdsl.net username (if wrong or missing) and your internet password to reconnect.
Know that's already been mentioned, but it fooled me as I thought this was a repeat of the recent gateway problems which only required a straightforward click of the connect button when the problems were rectified - just don't ask me how a fault with the radius servers knocks out your internet password from your router!  Undecided
Chris
Legend

So your router had completely lost the username and password for the connection?
We should have included the following page in the service status posts (it works on a mobile device) as that explains what to do.
www.plus.net/reboot
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
JayG
Pro

It still showed the (correct) username but the password field was empty.
Chris - your link is of course just what you need if you are lucky enough to have an alternative way of reaching the site.  Wink
I see that the Home > internet page normally shows the password as a line of asterisks and 'Remember password = Yes', although of course it didn't on this occasion.  Roll_eyes
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Chris
We should have included the following page in the service status posts (it works on a mobile device) as that explains what to do.
www.plus.net/reboot

Chris, I have criticised this short-form link before and it's not been changed, it's hardly a complex thing to do. It should not be called www.plus.net/reboot
1) it's not a reboot, it's a reconnect as described on the page (and a reboot should not be required except in extreme circumstances).
2) The link should be called www.plus.net/reconnect
People that invent incorrectly named links like this frankly give the impression that they don't know the difference between the two things, nor do they appreciate the potential impact on users on long lines that may try a reboot after dark when it's not needed who may do this without reading the link and taking it's name as it implies.>:(
Chris
Legend

I agree it shouldn't be called reboot as that's not what it's doing. I'll use the full link from now on Wink
https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/router-reconnect/
Anotherone
Champion

Well done for you, but the short link is on the system and has been used by others, it needs removing (and replacing)  Wink
MrPiffle

Hi all
I am presumably one of many others who, since about 6pm last night (30th Jan 2015) have had no internet service from PlusNet.  This is clearly a big problem and is not resolved.
I have rebooted my router countless times.  Following prompts in this thread I have also gone into my Router settings and re-typed my PlusNet account password and saved and again rebooted.  Still no joy.  All my router settings look fine and dandy.  Just no broadband service.  This loss of service is now approaching 24hrs which is frankly ridiculous.
What is really going on and what are the resolution options please?
Chris
Legend

What is really going on and what are the resolution options please?

Your line is showing as out of sync, which is not the same as the issue we had last night so it seems like an unfortunate coincidence at the moment unless you've unplugged your router?. Can you confirm which lights are lit on the front of the router and whether they are green or red?
Description
: Line status not in sync
Circuit Sync Status
: Circuit Out of Sync

Can you run through the steps at https://faults.plus.net so this gets reported in to us?

MrPiffle

Your line is showing as out of sync, which is not the same as the issue we had last night so it seems like an unfortunate coincidence"

lols "unfortunate coincidence" !!  Yep right,  that must be it.  No problems for months and then just when PlusNet suffers a major outage and I can't get any service at just the same time, it must just be  an unfortunate coincidence.  Right O !
Here's another amazing coincidence.  Suddenly, having made a post on this forum, and having visited the PlusNet webpage for "Thinking of cancelling your contract", my modem lights have suddenly come on and my service is restored.  It's a miracle !
Summary: 
PlusNet service suffered outage and was faulty since at least 6pm on 30th Jan 2015. 
PlusNet fail to restore/resync my connection automatically following "resolution" of the outage.  Suggests a lack of control of the end-to-end service elements.
Customer (me) has to report the lack of service on my specific line
PlusNet then "tweak" something at their end and hey presto service restored.  No changes made at customer end.
Comments:
Good service?  -  No, following an outage PlusNet should have the ability to reset/resync/restore all affected customers and should know which customers were affected by the outage.
Do PlusNet charge me if I over-use their service (GB limit) - You betcha !
Do PlusNet compensate me when they don't provide the service I pay for ? -  Not a chance !
Something is wrong here. 
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: MrPiffle
..........PlusNet service suffered outage and was faulty since at least 6pm on 30th Jan 2015.   
PlusNet fail to restore/resync my connection automatically following "resolution" of the outage.  Suggests a lack of control of the end-to-end service elements.

If you had no sync, then you had a problem between your modem/router and the exchange. That sort of issue has absolutely nothing to do with the outage that Plusnet suffered which was a problem that affected the establishment of the PPP Internet session somewhere between the exchange and Plusnet's network (my personal suspicion is this was a failure somewhere on BT's Backhaul).
Because of your understandable cynicism if you don't understand how ADSL works, the way you've phrased your comments doesn't make it clear if your connection is now restored. I suspect that you may have some other issue with your connection which this outage has served to highlight and needs to be addressed. If you have a connection then if you can post the TG582n Full DSL stats (you'll get the login screen first) it may help point a finger at what's going on.
If you still have no connection, then I suggest you follow Chris's advice or ring CSC but this is a peak time and there will be a number of calls queued, so you may have a wait.
MrPiffle

Seriously?  My connection suddenly stops working around 6-7pm yesterday.  PlusNet post the following message:
"30/01/2015 @ 18:16
We're currently aware of a problem resulting in customers being unable to connect to the internet.
This is impacting customers who are attempting to establish new connections and those who have recently disconnected and are now unable to reconnect."
And you say that's not my issue and it's all co-incidence and my issue is no-sync?
So how's my sync now?  Does it look ok?  If so, how do you think that happened?
My service is fine now.  Nothing changed at my end.  So "something" changed at your end, and it changed just after I drew attention to my account by posting on this forum and/or visiting the "Thinking of cancelling" webpage.  Are we to put this down to magic?
JayG
Pro

Nah, huge coincidence, just as you suspected!  Wink
Anotherone
Champion

Let's be clear -
1) I'm just another user but I have an engineering background .
2) Your lack of SYNC had NOTHING to do with the Outage
3) I can't tell what your sync is which is why I asked you to post your stats
4) This is a community forum where members try to help each other with their problems. It's also a Support channel for Plusnet.
5) If all you want to do is bitch, then I suggest you follow Chris Parr's (Plusnet Staff - that's why he has the logo against his name) earlier advice and raise a ticket and make a complaint to Plusnet.
6) There is unlikely to be any Plusnet staff on here now until Monday.
So yeah, Seriously Roll_eyes
MrPiffle

Your lack of SYNC had NOTHING to do with the Outage

That statement is only relevant if you buy the PlusNet "no sync" line as the cause of the issue.  I'm afraid I don't.  The timing of my outage coinciding as it did with the wider service outage tells me where the fault truly lay.  The sudden restoration of my service after drawing attention to my account also tells me that someone at PlusNet fixed it manually.  This isn't the first time PlusNet have "tweaked" something and magically made my service work after I have reported an outage.  Time for a change.