Did you mean: 

Twitter

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

Re: Twitter

Quote from: HarryB
I wouldn't worry about that too much, as long as you're connected via cabled connection it should be fine.

Hi Harry,
To be a pedant, if a device has both a wired and wifi network interface and both are active, there can be no assurance which network route the speed test will use.  There have been a number of incidents where a user has plugged a wire into a PC otherwise using wifi and results have appeared to be the same.... until the wifi NIC has been disabled.  I suggest that at best this advice is optimistic.
Quote from: Matthew
I suspect it could be a old issue with the TG585's.

Is this fixed by the 10.2.2.B firmware update?
@Estragon,
This might be risky advice... depends on the user's ability / confidence.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

A problem with the 585 is not going to be fixed with 582n firmware! If this is the 585 v8, then there were these old issues that were never fixed. That doesn't really explain why it's suddenly become an issue after working fine for years.
Estragon
Rising Star

They managed to set it up in the first place :). And a factory reset is not a technical job.
But you are absolutely right about turning off the wireless on the device doing the wired speed test. Not just when doing speed tests either - I generally find that if wifi is connected then Ethernet is added, the connection stays on the wifi.
Chilton1199
Dabbler

Hi
In device manager (see attached screenshot) there are three possible candidates for switching off the wireless on the PC
cedlor
Grafter

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@ejs,
Thanks - must change my opticians...  Embarrassed

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chilton1199
Dabbler

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

The 802.11g is the wifi NIC.  Right click it and select disable.

Chilton1199
Dabbler

Thanks to Andrew who just called, and everyone else who has helped.  I am off to borrow a router to see if that is the seat of the problem.  Mine is well over 3 years old, so apparently it is in the 'pensionable' category, heading toward 'past it'!  Like its owner!
I will post if there is any more news