cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless issues with Thomson v8 (after firmware upgrade) Updated.

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Wireless issues with Thomson v8 (after firmware upgrade) Updated.

Hi all,
We have started to see issues with the wireless on the Thomson TG585v8 even after you have performed the firmware upgrade. I will now be collating examples once again to determine if we can find a pattern and report these issues to Thomson. Your cooperation with this is much appreciated.
Before you post here please make sure the firmware version on your router is 8.2.7.8  If your router is still showing 8.2.7.7 then please perform the firmware upgrade before posting here.
If you could post your issue in the following format it would really help me when collating the examples..
example
Device : Laptop
Make : Sony
Issue : low upload speed
Many thanks once again.
Jojo Smiley
382 REPLIES 382
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Wireless issues with Thomson v8 (after firmware upgrade)

Oh dear - not again  Sad Roll_eyes
Thread made sticky so it stays in view
GlynArmstrong
Dabbler

Device: Laptop
Make: Dell (with Netgear wireless adapter)
Issue: Low upload spped (degrading over time)
I had connectivity problems with the Thomson V8 and also problems with upload speeds degrading over time until the router was restarted. The connectivity problems were fixed by the firmware upgrade, but the upload speed problem has not been resolved. I have been sent a replacement router, but that has given the same problem so it looks like this is a general problem with the Thomson router. I am currently using my old Dynamode router which works fine. Is there any possibility of Plusnet supplying a router that works?
anniesboy
Rising Star

Device  > laptop
Make    > Novatech
OS        > win 7
Issue    > slow wireless upload
Issue      > my speed via ethernet are( slow anyway)

Via wireless on laptop  >
rebooted router after firmware update>
fsepulveda
Dabbler

Hi,
I have a similar problem with v8.  Right now I am getting about 120kbps upload on wireless and about 340kbps on ethernet.  Download is fine (thanks to Jojo's intervention) both with ethernet and wireless at about 5500kbps.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: Joanne
If you could post your issue in the following format it would really help me when collating the examples..
example

Could you add the information requested in that quote from the opening post. Save Jojo having to hunt through other topics to find it.
David
fsepulveda
Dabbler

Make : ASUS
Issue : low upload speed (on wireless)
duncs
Grafter

Make : HP Pavilion
Issue : low upload speed and slow internet browsing (fine when connected via ethernet)
Device : Pure Avanti Flow internet radio / Netgear ReadyNAS Duo
Make : Pure / Netgear
Issue : Cannot see the NAS media server on the internet radio over wireless.  Had intermittant sight of both NAS media server and laptop media server on radio prior to firmware update, but only very rarely and usually after rebooting all devices and the router.  Then after update can see laptop media server fine on the radio, but absolutely no sign of NAS media server (which is what I really want, to save leaving laptop on).  The laptop can see the NAS wirelessly fine 100%.  Weird.
Everything, and all these devices, were interfacing fine over wireless using different router.
rena
Grafter

Dear Joanne,
I've only been a plusnet customer for 2 weeks and i've had problems with the Thomson 585v8 since day one! I can't connect wirelessly to vista computers. I have a desktop vista, laptop vista, laptop windows 7 and a ps3. The windows 7 and ps3 seem to connect Ok but the 2 vistas can't. Sometimes a way round it is to switch everything off and then back on again but that is very inconvenient for the people on the ps3 and windows 7, or to connect wired. If i'd've known I wasn't going to get a home wireless network, which is what I asked for, then I wouldn't have signed up. I feel i've been mislead or missold a product and when I contact plusnet via the ticket thing they take 5 days to get back and don't resolve the problem. I also phoned them and they told me to change the router name but it makes no difference.
I have tried without success to upgrade the firmware. I am not very good with understanding computers and their terminology so please help me install the flash utility/firmware - which version of flashing utility to do I click, as I have vista and windows 7 on my network? I clicked the vista version, but I am worried that will negatively affect the windows version which works well so far and the ps3? Then after that do I click open or save? I clicked open and saved it in my c drive. It then said 'unpack' - what does unpack mean? I extracted all files.For 585v8 version 8.2.7.8 firmware do you click Find or Save. I clicked save. It then said navigate to the firmware and i typed setup.exe then selected setup. It asked for user name and password. When it gets to Have Disk, I couldn't find firmware or tg585v8_branded.bin or Settings/user/Desktop/firmware/tg585v8_branded.bin. I clicked read build image files from  c:/Users/MyName/TG_UPGRADE/Builds  Browse. But when I clicked browse it said the folder was empty . Please tell me exactly how to install firmware in language that I will understand, although, as i'm a new customer I don't understand why I wasn't given the most up to date equipment and equipment that actually works! Why can't they just give me a modem router that connects to all devices (but not another Thomson).
I don't think there is anything wrong with either of the vista computers as I got them checked out and I also took the laptop to the library and it connected no problem. They also connect with a mobile 3 dongle and an old d-link.
The 2 vista computers are
Device            Desktop                          Laptop
Make      Parkard Bell                          HP
OS                    Vista                              Vista
Issue  not connecting wirelessly to thomson, when it is connected it disconnects during downloading, it freezes and then kills the page while on facebook,can't connect wirelessly to printer and can't use snipping tool any more to send emails. That's just some of the things i'v noticed so far but there will probably be more
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI rena,
I have asked my colleague to upgrade your firmware from this end for you. This should be done before lunch time.
Jojo Smiley
rena
Grafter

Thank you very much Joanne.
emzx23x
Grafter

Issue : low upload speed wired and wireless
            high signal loss, ie loose 1mb download
Device : xbox 360
Make : microsoft
            wireless intermitint connection and high ping times
duncs
Grafter

Joanne - is anything going to happen for the rest of us that are stuck with routers that dont function properly?
If not, I need to know so I can look to get a different router (ideally through Plusnet, but if not, then by cancelling my contract).
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Device : Xbox 360
Make : Microsoft
Issue : seems to loose internet connectivity (will not connect to Xbox LIVE and fails connectivity test)
I think I have solved this by switching the router to wireless 'g' mode only and not 'b/g/n', my Xbox reported a good connection to the router using the 'n' setting with my Xbox wireless 'n' adaptor but would not connect to the internet,using the 'g' setting allows full connection to LIVE (I also changed the DNS revers on the router as the Xbox reported a DNS problem but it still seems that the wireless settings have an effect.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
anniesboy
Rising Star

I like duncs,    await some way of overcoming this issue.
Its only wireless upload that is a problem,but attempting to use my laptop is a real pain as it crawls along.
I've upgraded the firmware,tried changing channels,also tried changing interface to 802.11g.
Nothing has any effect.