cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The "Spam" / "Not Spam" buttons are here!

LiamM
Grafter

Re: The "Spam" / "Not Spam" buttons are here!

Quote from: stevewelling
When will this be available to us metronetters?

Metronetters don't get the Spam Protection feature do they?  Or is it just on for everyone by default?
stevewelling
Grafter

well, we were victims of the loss/delays in emails when they installed the spam filters a few weeks ago - so surely we can use the spam filter apps?
James
Grafter

Metronet customers do not have the added spam functionality under 'manage my mail' available to Plusnet/Force9/Free-Online.  The Spam and No-Spam buttons are also not available.
I appreciate that you will haqve been affected by the recent email issues, for which I sincerely apologise.
stevewelling
Grafter

Oh. Ok. Any plans for this to be rolled out for metronet customers in the future?
James
Grafter

Not currently, owing to the difference in the two member centres following the integration of Metronet into our admin system.
If you find the PlusNet product range more attractive, I'll be happy to arrange for your account to be moved across, should you wish.
stevewelling
Grafter

Ok. I'll think about it.......
Thanks.
thehatman
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
Quote from: thehatman
Could you also promote the wonderful little app "FastForward" that "webwise" made for the same purpose, but for use on your pc with Outlook Express and other email clients.
It works well, it looks great and he did a lot of work on it.

Promoted at the foot of the blog post here.
At the moment there's no plans to install this plug-in on Metronet SquirrelMail although theoretically I suppose they too could use the despamchecker forwarding addresses. Will check up on this.

Plaase promote FastForward more prominently.  Smiley
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

As a  'wrap up' to the SPAM / NOTSPAM button dev't - can PlusNet confirm that they are now receiving good  and correct input from Webmail with which to update the filters?
Ta
MauriceC

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

stevewelling
Grafter

Quote from: James
Metronet customers do not have the added spam functionality under 'manage my mail' available to Plusnet/Force9/Free-Online.  The Spam and No-Spam buttons are also not available.
I appreciate that you will haqve been affected by the recent email issues, for which I sincerely apologise.

So, my emails are getting delayed, and dare I say it possibly lost again, due to these spam filters that I can't use.
Ho hum...
toby1
Grafter

Quote from: LiamM
Quote from: spikey
Why, when I click the SPAM button, does it not move the item concerned to my SPAM folder, as well as reporting it as SPAM?

That's a good idea.  I dont think it was a requirement of the original work.

Yes..........It is a good idea.
So could it be implemented?Huh
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Every day a particular email arrives in my spam folder and I click on 'not spam' and then transfer it to the inbox.
I have been doing this for at least 4 days but it still arrives in the spam folder.  Why is this?
LiamM
Grafter

Because it's not as simple as that.
The emails that you forward are used to train the filters.  The filters use a very complex algorithm and word database to try and determine if a certain email is spam. 
It's not like blacklisting / whitelisting.  The more you forward, the more it will learn.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayesian_spam_filtering
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Thanks for the info LiamM.
tickerhacker

Quote from: spikey
Why, when I click the SPAM button, does it not move the item concerned to my SPAM folder, as well as reporting it as SPAM?
As it stands, I have to delete it manually afterwards.

Not only that but it de-selects the previously selected emails! I added this suggestion to the blog page: http://community.plus.net/comms/2007/08/30/push-the-button/
I guess that we have to be grateful for any small step towards improving our Internet "experience".
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: MauriceC
As a  'wrap up' to the SPAM / NOTSPAM button dev't - can PlusNet confirm that they are now receiving good  and correct input from Webmail with which to update the filters?

Still no PlusNet response to this post, despite a couple of PM prompts to different Comms team members.  Are we to assume that means the answer is "no" and anyone using the buttons is wasting their time?
David