cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The "Spam" / "Not Spam" buttons are here!

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: The "Spam" / "Not Spam" buttons are here!

I've had a word with the guys up here in networks and they assure me that the volume of email into that mailbox has increased since these buttons went live and they are carrying on with the housekeeping using the emails sent through.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
James
Grafter

As far as we're concerned they should be working.
Bob's testing them now.
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

That's a confident "maybe" then is it James? Roll_eyes

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

gofaster
Rising Star

Can you add another vote for getting the NotSpam button to move the email over to the Inbox?
I receive my mail via Outlook Express and check for false positives using SquirrelMail. Whenever I identify any ham in the spam folder it has to be moved into the inbox otherwise it won't get received by OE.
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

and from here - both move the 'Not Spam' to Inbox and 'Spam' to the Spam folder.
Both my husband and I get our mail via our Macs' Mail program and I check webmail for any valid mail that's gone into the Spam folders (as he can't access the webmail sign-in page for some obscure reason).
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
Colin
Grafter

I'll try and contact the author regarding the suggestion, to see if we can work to enhance the functionality.
Colin
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: Colin
I'll try and contact the author regarding the suggestion, to see if we can work to enhance the functionality.

Would it be possible to confirm the buttons properly do what they are supposed to do (forward incorrectly tagged messages with full headers) first.
Quote from: James
As far as we're concerned they should be working.
Bob's testing them now.

Since then nothing.  Sad
I can't understand why a simple "yes" can't be given (unless, of course, the answer is "no", but PN don't want to admit it).
David
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you look in the sent folder you can see the reported mail - they looked OK to me.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

That's positive news - thank you.  I haven't had cause to use the buttons since they were introduced so don't have any "sent" messages to check.
I still find it difficult to understand why PN can't confirm proper operation of the buttons so that the PUGITs can be closed off.  That should cover both inclusion of the required headers and arrival at the proper address.
David
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Perhaps nobody has any performance targets regarding number of open PUGIT items so no-one cares less. I think you need to raise a PUGIT item for a system to be put in place internally to monitor/action PUGIT items.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Yes,
I can confirm that this is working. I have just this second tested it myself. Apologies I missed your PM (only just noticed it).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jelv
Seasoned Hero

What percentage of the spam/not spam being reported now are being used for training?
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Quote from: Bob
Yes,
I can confirm that this is working. I have just this second tested it myself. Apologies I missed your PM (only just noticed it).

Thanks Bob - both PUGIT items now closed off.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: jelv
What percentage of the spam/not spam being reported now are being used for training?

Sorry to bounce this, but I would like an answer.
Since we have had the buttons available I have been forwarding a lot more wrongly identified emails. As I understand training it is important to feed it plenty of data to refine it's scores. If you are not using most of the examples forwarded are being used (a) we are all wasting out time and (b) it would explain why when we get a new batch of spam evading the filters it takes so long for the filters to adapt.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

There has been a part answer to this on the PUG forums here which points back to this post. This describes a manual process whereby batches of a maximum of 400 spam and 400 notspam emails are selected for training. It doesn't however say how frequently this is done, nor how many spam/notspam are reported each day.
I've forwarded 47 emails this month - average 2.6 per day. If just 1% of the over 200,000 users are doing the same as me that's over 5000 being reported each day which would mean that if the training is a daily activity, a very high proportion of the emails we forward are not being used.
Of course it may be that this is not done every day (it may be just 5 days a week for example) in which case it would be even worse.
Given the reluctance of PN to give a straight answer to the question as percentage used...
well I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions.