cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thanks BT Openreach!

ricako

Thanks BT Openreach!

Due to have my nice new fibre installed today.. Tho nothing all day!
After a phone call to cs the Openreach engineer apparently visited this morning and tried ringing my phone to contact me.
Now he's taken notice of the car outside my house but can guarantee he did not ring my mobile either before appointment time or at time he was apparently at my door or leave any kind of calling card through the post box! End result £50 fee to rebook for another fibre install, a big fu to Openreach for been as useless as ever!
Big thanks to various cs reps I spoke to today as I know they have nothing tondo with Openreach!
21 REPLIES 21
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Thanks BT Openreach!

Call his bluff, he's clearly a liar.
Ask PN to follow it up and press for disciplinary action in BTOR.
simonhiggs
Grafter

There are supposed to leave a calling card, and take a photo of your front door as proof  (if they have a camera phone)
ricako

I asked for a complaint to go in as there is no missed called / physical proof eg calling card!
Was told there's no way that I or PN could do anything to contest Openreach 😕 apart from me contacting ofcom but that will jus be a great waste f time!
deathtrap
Grafter

Unfortunately you can't dispute the charge with BTOR as plusnet is their customer  for this, So i suppose by you disputing this charge with plusnet which is the only thing you can do,Hopefully  will lead to plusnet ,disputing the charge with OR  instead of them rolling over & a just accepting it ,because they aren't the ones that will be out of pocket ,as clearly they have passed this fee on to you , AAISP would fight your corner where possible, i can't see why it isn't possible for plusnet or any other isp to fight BTOR fees if they have been incorrectly applied
And if you were genuinely at home waiting for or to knock on your door, and they didn't  then you should not have to pay for a failed visit,  i know i wouldn't pay for it, From your post you say that  he's taken notice of the car outside your  house, Sounds like he drove passed your house,(so vehicle  tracker shows he was in your street)maybe you got a untrained engineer or  one of btor's sub contractor's  who do this regularly  knowing that they are easily able to get away with it
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: deathtrap
Sounds like he drove passed your house,(so vehicle  tracker shows he was in your street)maybe you got a untrained engineer or   one of btor's sub contractor's  who do this regularly  knowing that they are easily able to get away with it

How do you know that this happen regularly?
I would imagine any failed appointment would be handled by Openreach the same as any other company that it would automatically go up the management chain and any individual that do this regularly would soon be caught out.
deathtrap
Grafter

How do you know that this happen regularly?
I don't have personal experience of failed engineer visits, but you don't have to really look that far to see there is certainly a problem http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/03/12/bt_missed_appointments/ and there's also a lot,too many reported instances on forums from unhappy customers,
The engineer failing to turn up is one thing, but being billed for a no show is another, Openreach aren't going to investigate too in depth  unless it's really obvious what some engineers are up to ,
If engineer no show then they should not be billing the ISP and nor should the ISP pass this charge on to customers , But it seems that doing this is all too easy , as getting payment from a customer is most probably easier than disputing the fee's with BTOR  for the failed visit , BT being the  monopoly doesn't really help , as the ISP don't have any choice of line providers as BT own them and maintain them
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

I would be asking for details of time of the all edged visit, so that you can check you CCTV security system to confirm their claim.
They are not to know if you do or do not have a CCTV system.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi ricako,
I can see we've raised this issues with our suppliers and we need to wait for an update, I also note that we're listening to a call regarding the rebooking fee which as soon as this has been done we'll be in-touch.
highside57

Only a day after ricako's initial post I was due to have fibre installed. 
First thing in the morning my connection stopped as the engineer made the exchange side changes.  There I sat looking forward to my new master socket plate and new modem all ready to go, but nobody turned up and nobody rang. 
Eventually I rang PN, after a 15 minute hold I got through to somebody who immediately sent me on to somebody else, after a further 10 minute hold I got through to another rep who identified that Openreach had marked the job as completed and then forwarded me on to another rep, this took a further 15 minute hold before I discovered that the solution to an engineer no show was just to be put into the broadband fault queue. 
I am still awaiting a date for a new engineers appointment and am without the Internet except a 3G phone.
Whilst I appreciate that the engineer no show is nothing to do with PN  a number of things worry me. 
A total of 40-45 minutes on hold in the middle of a weekday suggest that there is underinvestment in the call centre.  This has two obvious effects, one is in the wait time for customers and the second is in the mental state of staff who have to deal with more and more customers irritated by the wait.  The staff dealt pretty well yesterday with what appears to be a nearly impossible situation for them.
I am also concerned that on spending some time trawling threads all over the web that  It appears PN have an outsized number of problems with Openreach compared to independent ISPs.  This is obviously not a scientific study but fits with PN being positioned as BT's cheap end brand.
I joined PN  many years ago to escape the truly dreadful service at BT.  I was prepared to give PN a try under BT as I had had very good service over those years.  The problem is that it is very hard for even the best employees to overcome lack of investment by a parent looking to move the brands position downmarket.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi highside57,
Sorry to see your fibre was not installed and apologies for the wait.
We have very recently recruited a number of staff and continue to do so to cope with the increased in customer numbers, it may have been that you have also called at a busy period for one reason or another.
I've taken a look at account and as the original order has been classed as completed it now means we have top go down the fault route, I'd imagine this is why you will have been passed through to several people.
I've just left you a voicemail as we need to book an engineer appointment to get your fibre installed, what is your availability this week?

HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: chrispurvey
the original order has been classed as completed it now means we have top go down the fault route

How do you explain that, completed where, on your systems or BT's?
Given this information:
Quote from: highside57
There I sat looking forward to my new master socket plate and new modem all ready to go, but nobody turned up and nobody rang. 
surely the job has NOT been completed and this needs reopening? Not to mention "words" need to be had with whoever "completed" a job that clearly wasn't complete.
None of that helps the OP of course, so maybe the "fault" route is more effective at getting the job done properly?  Crazy
highside57

Hi Chris,
Thank you for your prompt response.  For some reason my phone did not ring even though it was in my pocket!
After 2pm today I am available morning or afternoon for the rest of this week and pretty much all next week
highside57

Hi HPsauce,
The job was marked as completed by the Openreach engineer and thus entered into the PN  reporting systems as completed.
The charitable explanation might be that because my old non fibre  modem was still attached the engineer saw some syncing and assumed I already had the hardware.  The more likely explanation is that something more remunerative came up!
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: highside57
The job was marked as completed by the Openreach engineer and thus entered into the PN  reporting systems as completed.

Thanks for the information. I hope all goes well for you, and soon.
As you may know there are quite a few examples here of BTOR engineers doing what might charitably be called "cutting corners" or "being economical with the truth" when jobs are incomplete or not even started;  and the poor customer just sits there totally unaware until well after the (non-)event.
No doubt BTOR would argue that among the huge number of installs they do it's a very low number and problems will inevitably occur in some cases. But it's the lack of communication, in some cases blatant lying, and lack of "grip" by PN (who are the only people customers have to talk to) that is of concern.