Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Streaming Dropouts

edmoses8
Hooked

Streaming Dropouts

Hi,

Can someone look into my account please? 

I seem to be having issues streaming (netflix, youtube, amazon prime etc). It just wont connect sometimes and now cannot connect for a few days

I know the issue is with PlusNet as if I turn off my WiFi on my phone I can access the services fine over 4G

I've checked my router and it seems i am getting allocated SafeGuard DNS when i shouldn't be? Can you revert this back please? Not sure what else could be the issue. Please also check if there is any controls on my account?

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Streaming Dropouts

Hi @edmoses8,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems with your connection. I've tested your line and can see that there are some underlying errors that will be affecting the performance of your connection, however the test hasn't picked up the cause of this from here.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here. If these checks don't resolve the problem, the next step would be to connect your router directly to the test socket, which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the connection stabilises. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. Please see the following guide for instructions on how to connect to the test socket. https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

I've checked your account and it appears that Safeguard is currently turned off. Are you finding that some websites are blocked by Safeguard?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
edmoses8
Hooked

Hi @EmilyD 

Thanks for your response.

I will carry out the test you have outlined above and advise if it resolves the issue when the issue occurs again by placing the router into the master socket and removing the faceplate.

I don't think its SafeGuard but I have however noticed that it stops working when I am on a specific public IP range.

I've somehow managed to get my public IP to change to something completely different and I can access my services again. However I have a feeling that I may be added to the IP range which was giving me the issue again resulting in me not connecting to the desired services.

I will keep monitoring this and advise you further.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Cheers and please keep us posted.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
edmoses8
Hooked

Hi @adamwalker @EmilyD 

Unfortunatley this issue has returned. 

I have kept a log of the issue and it seems to be when i'm on a specific Public IP.

Whenever my WAN IP (public IP) is 143.159.X.X I have the issue.

If my WAN IP is set to anything other than 143.159... then the issue is fine.

I am not sure what 143.159 range is but is there something you need to do on your end to allocate to a different public IP?

To get round the issue and the router to allocate me a different WAN IP I either change the firewall or dns settings to refresh however this workaround is no longer working.

I have called Technical Support who did a line test (router connected to master socket) and there was no issue on the line.

They have logged a ticket 199044684 which added a 'component' to see if that makes a difference but I doubt it very much if this will?

Can you please look into this further and advise why my steaming stops working on BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, Netflix, AmazonPrime when I am on this particular Public IP?

Thanks.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@edmoses8 

It might not help but a little clarification as this public IP description gets confusing.

Unless you pay for a fixed one, when your router first synchronises it picks up an IP address from a pool of Plusnet IP addresses. This is an exclusive address that you keep until for some reason your connection is dropped. At this point the process restarts and you may or may not pick up the same address.

If your IP address keeps changing then unless you are deliberately rebooting your router this suggests an underlining dropping connection problem.

This connection IP address is not related to Safeguard, which sets the IP address of the DNS servers for use by your internet browser etc.,  Firewalls are similarly unrelated.

Is it possible that your streaming issues being specific to particulat IP addresses is coincidental?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, 

I've just added a static IP to the account for you which is from an entirely different range. So that should resolve this for you and if not at least we'll have ruled out the IP range as a potential cause. 

You'll just need to power the router off and back on again after a few minutes to get that assigned, I've added a ticket to your account that shows the address here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=199174669

Do let us know if the problem continues for some reason.

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team