cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed much lower than estmated speed..

PhilipPercival

Re: Speed much lower than estmated speed..

I am following this with interest, as I have had a similar response from (a very nice) BT engineer, see  #64698686 support message.
He also stated that it was within acceptable limits and that there was nothing that could be done, a point echoed by the PN team.  It seems there is something that could be done. 
My cabinet is about 450m away so the slowdown must be somewhere in that 450 m.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Quote from: RealAleMadrid
I must admit I am puzzled by Chris' post above stating that "the engineer has tested the E-side of the network (Between the Green Cabinet and Local Exchange)" - I thought Dai's problem was poor speed on an FTTC connection and his phone was working normally. If there is a cable problem affecting FTTC speed the D-side needs to be checked, it seems odd that BTOR have wasted engineers time checking the wrong section of cable but being BT it doesn't surprise me!!

It's not something I specifically asked for them to do, however BT Openreach will always check the E-side regardless, especially if access to the customers premises is not given. My main concern is the D-side, and this should have been rectified this morning, I'm awaiting further information on this.
dai
Grafter

Hi Chris, Any updates from what was done/achieved today?
dai
Grafter

Chris, I have talked the wife through trying to re-connect over the phone. However, when she logs in to the router, it says that it is constantly trying to re-connect the link, or words to that effect. Can you see anything from your end?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi,
Literally just come off the phone to our suppliers now. BT Openreach have been out today and have managed to get that portion of the faulty cabling replaced. This doesn't appear to have affected your connection rate though I'm afraid. The length of the copper cable from the cabinet to the Distribution Point is 1 mile, which is likely where a lot of loss is occurring. Given this, I would say that the original estimates given were quite a way out from reality, given the length, I'm really sorry for this.
We do have the option of trying your line on a different cable completely but, again, whether or not this is going to increase the speeds, is difficult to tell. The speeds you are getting now are at around 23-25Mbps. If you'd like that cable swapping, let me know and I'd be happy to get that arranged for you. I'm honestly really sorry that I've not been able to improve things for you  Sad
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've just tested the lne so it may have disconnected for a few minutes - sorry about that. Can you try again in around 5 minutes time?
dai
Grafter

No problem Chris. Thanks for your efforts. I will have a think if its worth switching over the pair, what is your views on this? Do you think its worthwhile?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No problem at all. To be honest, it could go one of two ways, you could end up on a worse pair which wouldn't be great, but if you get a slightly better pair your speeds might improve by 1 or 2Mb.
dai
Grafter

The internet is still unusable Chris. Comes up with "The connection has failed, unable to authenticate"
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hmm looks as though the BT RADIUS has become a little congested, this sometimes happens when an incorrect password has tried automatically connecting continuously. Would it be possible to power down the router for 15 minutes and try again? We're seeing the attempts but I think it just needs a little time to clear.
dai
Grafter

Ok Chris the router has been switched off
dai
Grafter

Now Up. Thank You
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No nothing set, just run through the router set up and just double check that the password being typed in is the correct one. I think your connection stopped accepting log in attempts last night as it had tried to connect using an incorrect password at some stage.
dai
Grafter

Chris, I was just wondering if after the line was replaced, that the engineers phoned back to their control to re-set my line, to see if there was a increase in speed available? This has been the process that all the engineers have done when they have carried work out at my place? I may just be grasping at straws I admit, as this may have been done/or is not required?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi,
It wouldn't have been needed as your profile is set to 20M-40M, meaning that if your connection were to improve, it would have done so automatically, I made sure that was in place just in case there was any increase.