Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNR reset please?

FIXED
AMC1973
Grafter

Re: SNR reset please?

That's very interesting, The red definitely explains the noisy line that was fixed. Seems from the 5th March, things were consistently pretty good. Very interesting indeed! I think I need to get out more!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Yup makes sense. Soon you'll be able to have an FTTP-off (Similar to a bake off) with your neighbour. 

On the topic of getting out more, I'm off to see the new Batman now at the Odeon. Cheesy

Keep me posted on how things go. 

Cheers

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
AMC1973
Grafter

Yeah, I here it's pretty good - according to Mark Kermode! Hope you enjoyed it. I think I'll try and catch it next week.

Yep, I'll keep you updated...

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Aye, it was awesome.

Not sure if Robert Pattinson playing the part is better than Christian Bale though.

Still a genuinely good film!

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
AMC1973
Grafter

Forget Robert Pattinson or Christian Bale, I refuse to see another Batman film until Adam West reprises the role!

I'm not going to get my hopes up, but my latest router stats look quite encouraging! So the line was reset at 9am on the 10th, and the DLM intervened on the line at 11pm - but not as I expected. As you can see, it slightly reduced my downstream, but it was happy with a 6dB SNR - and no intervention last night. I'm more than happy with that! Looking back at the RRT you uploaded, it's a bit concerning seeing all that red. In the LINE_ASSESMENT_RATE column, my line goes from 'Bad' to 'Very Good' in the space of a day - now that's an unstable line! I thought that was down to my noisy line issue, but looking back, that was the early Feb, so I wonder what could account for all that red? Also, if you look at the DLM intervention after the reset, you can see that my max data rate would have been very close to that downstream of 37806kbps given the 6dB SNR, And yet, as you can see, it's now at 41839, and the SNR is now at 6.9dB. Could that be a router fault do you think?

5. DSL uptime: 1 days, 10:56:12
6. Data rate: 7838 / 37806
7. Maximum data rate: 7838 / 41839
8. Noise margin: 6.1 / 6.9

09:09:09, 10 Mar. (506872.900000) PPPoE is up -​ Down Rate=38171Kbps, Up Rate=7785Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.9dB, Up=6.0dB
23:05:10, 10 Mar. (557033.290000) PPPoE is up -​ Down Rate=37806Kbps, Up Rate=7838Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.0dB, Up=6.1dB

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Haha I've never actually seen Adam West play Batman... I feel like I have to now. Cheesy

I'm glad to see your speed's picked up! Yeah, agreed. Replacing the router does seem to be the logical next step. 

Unless you've got a spare router or plans to buy your own, I can send you a new router free of charge? 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
AMC1973
Grafter

You definitely have to check out the 1966 TV show and film. I remember watching it after school in the late eighties - you owe it to yourself to see this classic piece of TV history!

Well as you can see the DLM, this morning, decided to push my SNR back up to 9dB. That's very generous of you to offer to supply me with a new router; I was thinking of buying a BT Hub 2 from ebay, but since you've offered to send me a free one, I'd be a fool not to accept! I'm very grateful, and of course it goes without saying, you must charge my account for the shipping fee.

Hopefully this will be the solution!

Thanks again, you're a star!

5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 06:24:39
6. Data rate: 7734 / 33478
7. Maximum data rate: 7737 / 41165
8. Noise margin: 6.2 / 9.0
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ah nice. I will absolutely! I'm off on Thursday, so what a way to spend the morning. 

I can't add a charge to your account on the back of a forum post without fear of the Batman coming after me, but I've created a support ticket Here. If you can drop me a reply there, I'll arrange to send you the new router. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
AMC1973
Grafter

Ticket done and dusted!

Just discovered that the entire Batman TV series is available in glorious remastered HD. There was even a limited addition! Christian Bale it your heart out!

https://www.imdb.com/video/vi464764185?playlistId=tt0059968&ref_=tt_pr_ov_vi

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Excellent and the router shall be on the Batman's wings shortly.

Well that's my Thursday sorted. Cheesy

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
AMC1973
Grafter

Hi @Gandalf,

Hope you're well,

So I've had the new router you kindly sent to me, up and running for a couple of weeks now, and I think it's definitely made a difference. No DLM intervention for two weeks, then early the other morning, it raised my downstream to 34.999mbps. Since it would seem the new router has solved my speed issue, would you be kind enough to check if I'm banded again, and if so, remove the banding? That precise 34.999 is a bit suspicious to me!

Even with the new router, my max data rate can drop as much as 5megs in the late afternoon/evening (see below). Looks like that will remain a mystery...

Also, there's one thing that's bugging me. I keep reading that a quiet line test should be "completely silent". Surely a live telephone line is never going to be completely silent! I have a pretty cheap BT cordless phone, and I can definitely here background static; it's very faint, there are no peaks or dips, it's consistent, and you certainly can't here it over the dial tone, and while I can just about here it during a conversation, it certainly isn't distracting. To be honest, I don't think you'd notice it unless you were looking for trouble - which of course, I was! Thoughts on that?

Maximum data rate: 8.423 Mbps / 41.217 Mbps (morning)

Maximum data rate: 8.423 Mbps / 36.382 Mbps (evening)

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @AMC1973

I'm good thanks, I hope you are too.

I'm glad to see your speed has gone up with your new router. Interestingly, the banding is showing as "Downstream: 0.128M-32.4M with Retransmission (Low). Upstream: 0.128M-10M with no error protection" even though I can see your raw sync speed is 34999. Technically I can't arrange for that to be reset without the banding showing as such, but as I'm fairly confident your speed is banded at 35mbps, I've added your connection on to our line reset tracker now.

You should hopefully see a higher speed within the next 3 working days.

Bob's post here > https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-2-speed-difference/m-p/1857798/highlight/true#M30960 may explain the difference in speed between a Hub One and Hub Two better than I can. 

As far as I'm aware a quiet line test should be silent with no audible noise, as there may be background noise still which we can't hear, so if you can hear faint static, that may be a sign of a problem with the copper line. We could either try arranging another engineer to take a further look or hold out until FTTP if it's causing no bother. 

Let me know your thoughts and how it goes.

Cheers

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
AMC1973
Grafter

Thanks @Gandalf, I really appreciate that,

That was an interesting post by Bob. I noticed my hub one was reporting a lot of errors, but the hub two, none at all - well so far! Also, my upstream is considerably higher. The fact that the DLM didn't touch my line for 14 days is also unheard of. With the hub one, it was making adjustments every two or three days!

I'll keep an eye (or should I say ear) on the line noise. If it doesn't affect my speed, I'll probably leave it and hold out for FTTP.

Thanks again, and have a good week.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

No worries at all, aye indeed and sounds like a plan. 

Good to see the Hub Two's generally working better for you. Incidentally, I've not heard a single bad thing about this shiny new router in the ~6 months we've had it so far, which is impressive as we generally had quite a few issues with the Hub One though those issues dwindled significantly when we resolved a long standing Wi-Fi problem  > https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-5GHz-WiFi-issue/m-p/1846941/highlight/true#M29910

Have a good week as well!

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
AMC1973
Grafter

Hope you're well,

So I thought I'd just post an update to let you know how things are progressing with the new hub 2 router.
As you can see from the stats, things are looking good. In fact, they could hardly look better! All that aggravation, two engineers, looking in vein for line faults, and all the time it was the the hub one, up to no good! Good job the engineers didn't spot that - no call out charge for me!

Anyway, thanks greatly for your help and patience, and hopefully it'll be a while before I find something else to complain about!

You have a great Weekend.

DSL uptime: 25 Days 21 Hrs 2 Mins
Data rate: 8.412 Mbps / 40 Mbps
Maximum data rate: 8.408 Mbps / 41.239 Mbps
Noise margin: 5.7 / 6.3
Line attenuation: 10.6 / 21.8
Signal attenuation: 10.6 / 26.3