cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent speed/connectivity issues. Not getting product speed.

FIXED
smallblueplanet
Rising Star

Recent speed/connectivity issues. Not getting product speed.

Hi

I've recently been having poor speed/download issues.

So I thought I'd check into my Plusnet account and see if there were any status issues - none showing. So I thought I'd try the BT speedtest.

When I put my phone number in it gave this:

"Advance Test

Download Test
Download speed achieved during the test was 14.66 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 10.7 - 15.28 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 15.28 Mbps"

However my account (now, and when I joined) shows the download speed as:
Estimated download speed: 18 - 27Mbps

Has something changed as the speeds have been poor at times over the past few days(?), down to a standstill? And my IP Profile was not previously that low.

33 REPLIES 33
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Recent speed/connectivity issues. Not getting product speed.

@smallblueplanet Sounds like there may have been issues somewhere that have escaped your notice. PN staff are a little busy (possibly related to the recent introduction of FTTP), so if you would like other Community members to try and possibly help:

For Community members to be able to help, information from these two sites, as screenshots:-

BT Broadband(obscuring your phone number) and BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (ethernet) connection if at all possible, please report the 'ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTICS', and sight of the broadband connection status from your Hub would be a good starting point.

For the Hub One -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Troubleshooting > Helpdesk

For the Hub Two -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information

It may also be a good idea to report the results of a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably corded) phone. After the confirmation of your phone number, there should be total silence apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise - report a PHONE fault first.

If phone test is OK then take the front off your telephone master socket, you may need to remove two screws. In behind you will find the test socket. Plug a filter in here and connect that to your hub. If it’s still dropping out then report a fault at https://faults.plus.net.

John
smallblueplanet
Rising Star

"Sounds like there may have been issues somewhere that have escaped your notice. PN staff are a little busy (possibly related to the recent introduction of FTTP), so if you would like other Community members to try and possibly help:"

What issues?

Doing all those tests won't answer the question of why my IP Profile has changed.

I'm out in the countryside and used to having line 'intermittent' line problems. I was hoping for someone to check my stats at Plusnet end and see what was causing my slow speed issues.

jab1
Legend

@smallblueplanet  'What issues?' - I don't know without seeing how your connection is performing.

'Those tests' will hopefully enable us to see where the problem may lie, and hopefully suggest a remedy.

However, if you don't want us to try and help you, I'll leave you to wait for the PN response - but it may be a while.

John
smallblueplanet
Rising Star

More info. Sorry don't know how to add it to the post so it shows up.

smallblueplanet
Rising Star

Don't get snotty. I wasn't sure how to upload a screenshot - as you see I've not managed properly.

Help or don't.

jab1
Legend

With respect I'm not 'getting snotty' but your response suggested that you didn't want Community help. Thanks for that first picture - it does show there is an issue somewhere, but without the rest of the requested information, not where it is.

John
smallblueplanet
Rising Star

BTTest-27-06-22.jpgAgain, I'm not finding uploading 'screenshots' straightforward.

As for the other test, there is no problems and I'm plugged into a Mk4 5C master socket. I've lived here some time during which nearly every piece of 'equipment' between the pole and our house has been replaced! We're running on old copper wires with FTTC.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@smallblueplanet 

To add a screen shot select the field with the picture of a mountain in the top bar of the reply field.

In case you think that this problem is being caused by your reduced profile speed then this is incorrect. The BT profile is a percentage of your sync speed. Consequently it is the sync speed that determines your profile, not the other way around.

Edit

If I have problems with linking a screen shot, what it do is paste it into a word processor, I use word. Right clicking the image allows you to save the picture as an image. I then save it as a .jpg file which can be added to the reply.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend

Thanks again - that speed test confirms what you are getting is in line with your PN profile, but that profile is restricted for some reason.

What other test - the phone? So it is silent when you run the Quiet Line Test?

Your Hub stats as requested would be useful.

To insert a picture into a post, click the 'mountain' icon between the smiley and camera ones at the top of the reply window and follow the guidance.

John
jab1
Legend

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@smallblueplanet 

To add a screen shot select the field with the picture of a mountain in the top bar of the reply field.

In case you think that this problem is being caused by your reduced profile speed then this is incorrect. The BT profile is a percentage of your sync speed. Consequently it is the sync speed that determines your profile, not the other way around.

Thanks for that, @Baldrick1 - you beat me to it with the 'insert picture' instruction.Smiley

John
smallblueplanet
Rising Star

Thanks.

We are out in the wilds and have poor lines. I wasn't thinking that the change in IP Profile was causing a problem, but thought it might be an indicator of a problem with the line speed.

Recently there have been dramatic drops in speed (but not connection) down to a crawl. I did the two tests (posted as jpgs above) and was trying to ascertain which bit of info from the router was required.

So I don't understand which info from Hub 1 you want @jab1 

jab1
Legend

@smallblueplanet 

'For the Hub One -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Troubleshooting > Helpdesk' - if you follow this line of my post, you will see your 'Helpdesk' page - that is what I/we need.

John
smallblueplanet
Rising Star

hub-data-27-06.jpg

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@smallblueplanet wrote:

So I don't understand which info from Hub 1 you want @jab1 

There’s a wealth of info that can give an indication as to what’s happening. For example:

Up time

Sync Speed

SNR

Line Attenuation 

Line speed

etc.

You are obviously a fair distance from your local FTTC cabinet and there many potential causes. This slow down might be  caused by the DLM trying to compensate for whatever it is that caused your intermittent slow speed. This can be a nightmare to find.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'