Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub One has started to reboot randomly

FIXED
Madeleyite
Rising Star
Fixes: 5

Re: Plusnet Hub One has started to reboot randomly

Is there anyone who can point Plusnet to this thread in order to get them involved and fix it? Or is it something I can do using some special method?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

@Dan_the_Van Yup, I saw that, but what about the other 2 or 3 drops?

John
Madeleyite
Rising Star

I have not restarted the hub myself. The hub restarted on its own. I know there were no power cuts for the daytime events but I don't know about the 00:29:51 event on 14th Feb because I was asleep.

jab1
Legend

@Madeleyite The PN Help Team are fairly small (and stretched), which is why some of the Community try to help out. If you can bear with us, maybe we  can sort this out before PN staff even get to it.

John
Madeleyite
Rising Star

@jab1 - Thank you John.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 74

@Madeleyite @jab1 

I have a bit more time to look at the logs

From the event log extracts you posted from your Hub

07:47:43, 28 Feb      (2927337,04000) PTM over DSL is down after 2850 minutes uptime

(2927337,04000) this is the number in seconds the Hubs has been running since is last booted.

2850 minutes uptime this is the number of minutes DSL connection has been UP.

2927337 seconds equals 33 days 21 hours.

Prior to this boot the Hub system had been running 1714115 seconds nearly 19 days

When the DSL signal drops the front light would change from blue to orange and back to blue which could be mistaken to be a reboot.

So you have received a number of DSL disconnects rather Hub reboots.

As to the cause, I take it you've had line issues before as you now have a MK4 master socket as of 14th Jan.

There have been situations where the faceplate on the Master Socket makes a poor connection, it might be worth a try to reseat the faceplate. 

It could be there is still an underlying issue which needs investigating, I would suggest contacting plusnet again so they can check the line for faults.

Next would be to check the landline phone for noise, using a cabled phone dial 17070 option two, the line should be clear of noise. If it isn't, report a phone fault - https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/phone/#phone 

Otherwise report a broadband fault - https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/broadband 

HTH

jab1
Legend

Thanks for that great bit of analysis, @Dan_the_Van . I totally agree with your recommendations, and was kind of thinking along the same lines. 

@Madeleyite I would follow what has been said.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@Madeleyite 

I very much doubt that Plusnet/Openreach will take any action for single drops days/weeks apart. The likely response is that an occasional drop is not considered to be a fault on a FTTC connection..

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend

good point, @Baldrick1 , but I would argue with that - I have been with my current provider on an FTTC connection since April 2021, and my only 'disconnections' have been planned ones, and prior to that, my ADSL up time with PN could be counted in 250-300 day chunks, on a long copper cable.

John
Baldrick1

@jab1 

It’s nothing to do about your current provider. It’s all about transferring low level high multi frequency broadband signals over generally ancient, often overhead flapping about in the wind with termination boxes up a pole, sometimes improperly sealed or underground sometimes flooded chambers, copper or horrible aluminium cable. Add to this the fact that cables are not screened as they weren’t designed for this duty so susceptible to cross talk and induced interference. 

Moderator and Customer

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 74

I very much doubt that Plusnet/Openreach will take any action for single drops days/weeks apart. The likely response is that an occasional drop is not considered to be a fault on a FTTC connection.

The thing is @Baldrick1 the OP think they have an issue with regular reboots which I have determined they are not.
It's not up to you, me or anyone else other than someone from plusnet/openreach say that they will not be looking in to the issue or not to report the issue.

jab1
Legend

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@jab1 

It’s nothing to do about your current provider. It’s all about transferring low level high multi frequency broadband signals over generally ancient, often overhead flapping about in the wind with termination boxes up a pole, sometimes improperly sealed or underground sometimes flooded chambers, copper or horrible aluminium cable. Add to this the fact that cables are not screened as they weren’t designed for this duty so susceptible to cross talk and induced interference. 

I possibly phrased that badly, all I was trying to say was that, irrespective of ISP, I had long trouble free connections, and I suspect the vast majority of subscribers do as well, as when you see xDSL drops on a regular basis, you suspect something is not quite right - well, I do, anyway.

John
Madeleyite
Rising Star

Thanks for all replies. Since it is not happening often and only lasts for a short period while the hub restarts it is not yet too problematic to contact Plusnet.

The quiet line test was quiet so no issue there.

Thanks for pointing to it being an external problem and not a hub/internal wiring problem. Good to know that it is something only Plusnet can fix since I am not up to trying complicated testing at the master socket etc. I am 77 years old. 🙂

I'll call this thread 'dormant' for now and if I need to contact Plusnet then I can point them to this thread (assuming they read this forum).

Baldrick1

@Dan_the_Van wrote:

I very much doubt that Plusnet/Openreach will take any action for single drops days/weeks apart. The likely response is that an occasional drop is not considered to be a fault on a FTTC connection.

The thing is @Baldrick1 the OP think they have an issue with regular reboots which I have determined they are not.
It's not up to you, me or anyone else other than someone from plusnet/openreach say that they will not be looking in to the issue or not to report the issue.

I’m not disagreeing with you at all Dan. I agree with you it’s most probably an occasional network drop that’s causing this issue, I never said that it should not be reported. The automatic bot might come back and report a problem.

I am just making the point that previous responses, unless the bot identifies a problem, occasional drops like these have resulted in answers along the line that this is to be expected and no action is taken unless there are several drops per day. Hence my comment.

Moderator and Customer

Madeleyite
Rising Star

Update

@Baldrick1 @jab1 @Dan_the_Van 

Thanks for your help. The dropouts got worse. There were 4 yesterday and 7 today (up to 09:30) so I contacted Plusnet.

The second reason for this post is to say how good I found the new way of contacting Plusnet Tech help team. No more phoning up and waiting ages to speak to someone. Just text "FAULT (landline number)" to 07800 008121 and then they ring you. Brilliant. From first text to getting them to say an engineer will call took maybe 30 minutes but it was an 'easy' 30 minutes because they were so helpful. Also the response time is good. I only contacted them an hour ago and an engineer is scheduled for tomorrow am. Hopefully they will fix it then.