cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre extra upload speed slow, download speed fine

nogoodnames
Hooked

Fibre extra upload speed slow, download speed fine

After a house move our download speed has finally got upto the new estimated speed, however the upload speed is still around half of the estimated speed. I need to upload large files for work so this is fairly important to fix.

Have tested with ethernet direct into router and over wireless and upload speeds are similar.

Tried to call support a couple of times but it fobs you off with the Diagnostics Bot and never seem to receive their callback, just a message saying they couldn't get through to me.

Any advice much appreciated.

15 REPLIES 15
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 280

Re: Fibre extra upload speed slow, download speed fine

@nogoodnames If you've tried the BOTs and got nowhere, can you please follow and respond to the guide below. Maybe someone in the Community can advise.

For Community members to be able to help, information from these two sites, as screenshots, posted as pictures within the topic, not as attachments:-

BT Broadband(obscuring your phone number) and BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (Ethernet) connection if at all possible, please report the 'ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTICS', and sight of the broadband connection status from your Hub (with the 'Username' obscured) would be a good starting point.

For the Hub One -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Troubleshooting > Helpdesk

For the Hub Two -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information

It may also be a good idea to report the results of a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably corded) phone. After the confirmation of your phone number, there should be total silence apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise - report a PHONE fault first.

If you are unsure about any of the above, please just ask - I am happy to help.

John
nogoodnames
Hooked

Thanks John, tried those tests. The upload has apparently gone up a bit according to the router, since I last looked, but Plusnet said it would be 17-18mbps when I signed up.

Cheers, Jamie

Wired.pngphone.pngstats.png

jab1
Legend

@nogoodnames Thanks for that. Couple things - don't know why I scored through the 'phone test' bit - can you try it, please. And did you try the 'additional diagnostics' tab on the BTw test - that gives us extra detail to work with?

From what you have posted however, I would suggest reporting a BROADBAND fault - the download speed is below the handback threshold, so suggests a fault, on its own. From that BT page suggests you should be getting much higher d/l speeds. Note, though that upload speeds are not guaranteed, although you should be getting double your reported speed.

John
nogoodnames
Hooked

Quiet line test was fine, nothing that I could hear.

I repeatedly get this error on the BTw diagnostics though:

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

jab1
Legend

OK . Phone OK is good. the advance test is a bit choosy about whether it decides to work or not - unfortunately it is down more than it is up.

I suggest tou report a fault via: https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/broadband/  and report back with what they say. If they come back with 'no fault found' let us know. In fact, let us know what they say anyway, because there IS something not quite right.

John
nogoodnames
Hooked

Hi John,

They basically said it's showing that the max upload on the line is only 11.9mb, and all they could recommend was factory reseting the router and see if that improves anything. He was more interested in getting his point across that upload speeds weren't guaranteed!

I can try it and see if it improves, do you think it'll do anything?

Thanks,

Jamie

jab1
Legend

Jamie, the BT Broadband Checker results you posted earlier clearly show that your line is not performing optimally - as I said earlier, your download speed is below the handback (i.e. needs looking at by Openreach) threshold. If they fix that, it will (maybe) increase the upload, but PN won't want to go down that route unless pushed.

You have nothing to lose by a single reset, but I doubt it will make much difference, as it is a line issue.

John
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Sorry if I missed it, but if not already done, try the router in the test socket, and post the router stats again.

jab1
Legend

You didn't miss it, @Mustrum  - I did, but I doubt it will have much effect if PN support say that is what @nogoodnames is all he can get.

John
nogoodnames
Hooked

Thanks both,

Spoke to support again just now. This guy was a lot more helpful and has booked Openreach to come and have a look tomorrow and see if they can improve it.

Will let you know what happens.

Cheers

Jamie

jab1
Legend

Sense has prevailed!

John
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@jab1 From the line stats which are showing high SNRM values it looks to me that the line is banded on both download and upload, you would think that Plusnet would be aware of this and do something about it which would be to request a DLM reset.

jab1
Legend

Yep. Looking again at those line stats, @RealAleMadrid , it certainly looks banded, but a DLM reset my only temporarily 'fix' it - surely any underlying issues need sorting, for a permanent resolution?

John
nogoodnames
Hooked

So the guy reset the line and did some testing at the green box and now getting around 74 down / 18 up. Even he seemed a bit surprised at that result.

Many thanks for the help and advice in sorting this! I will keep an eye on it to check it doesn't go back down again.

Cheers,

Jamie