cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not really a new topic - Peak Time slowdown still happening.

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Not really a new topic - Peak Time slowdown still happening.

Just run.
run this afternoon.
As advised in the long-running thread in the Announcements forum a few weeks back, I've raised a fault (#68600921) - this is just so the DCT can see that the issue is still occurring, and it isn't an issue with my line or equipment, otherwise it would happen all the time, and not just at peak times.
Other people I have spoken to on my exchange (NSIMD) have reported similar issues, so it seems likely that its either a capacity issue, or it's something to do with the preparatory work for fibre, which is due to go live by the end of June. [1]
[1] Not holding my breath - lots of fibre cabinets about the place, but not adjacent to my PCP Sad
130 REPLIES 130
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

Re: Not really a new topic - Peak Time slowdown still happening.

And, as if by magic, after midnight...
Anonymous
Not applicable

I often get a boost after midnight !!
(Normal speed is 19mb/s ish)
Perhaps it's my Magic Mouse !!  Grin

shalom2010
Grafter

Just to add to above. I noticed last night Usenet was slowing down again from my normal 58Mbps to a variable 30-52Mbps. Speed tests showed full speed, only Usenet slowed down (on various ports). Again back to normal now.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Jaggies/Shalom: What gateways were you on?
Jaggies: Yours sounds like BT side contention to me.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
shalom2010
Grafter

Hi Kelly -  pcl-ag01 (only affected usenet! - no reported slowdowns on the servers I use)
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

I'm thinking it might be your usenet provider?  See the img attached.  These are for the specific end point you are connected to.    First graph shows the latency on the bronze queue.  THe spikes are likely graphing errors, rather than real results.  You can see the latency is tiny.  The second graph shows the over all drops across that end point for all traffic queues.  None!
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
shalom2010
Grafter

Okay Kelly, that's interesting. Many thanks.
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Looking at the latency on my BQM it seems to vary a lot from day to day. Yesterday evening was the worst for a long time, Saturday was fine. I haven't been monitoring actual speed on a regular basis but the increased latency doesn't have much practical impact on me.
Edit: you will also see that my connection still drops once or twice a day for no apparent reason.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Kelly
Jaggies/Shalom: What gateways were you on?

Currently on pcl-ag01, but my connection has been a bit up and down over the weekend as well, so I'm not sure what gateway I was on when I ran the tests. I'll check again this evening and update the thread.
Quote from: Kelly
Jaggies: Yours sounds like BT side contention to me.

I've already noted my suspicions on that score in the Fault ticket.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

And back down we go...

Which gateway
You are currently connected to gateway pcl-ag01.
This is located in City Lifeline House.
MrK
Dabbler

Ive been noticing a similar problem aswell. Speeds are fine for my line uptill early evening and then they diminish to about half what i can expect. I cant say exactly when it started but its been bothering me a lot these past 2 weeks, youtube in particular is a pointless exercise until speeds magically recover at the stroke of midnight. Its regular as clockwork so something must be up.
I was actually wondering was it throttling or general ISP congestion, quite hacked off by it i must say. Now that ive seen this post i do wonder if its exchange based as im also on the NSIMD exchange (though presumably just a bit further out of town judging by the 13mb/s speeds obtained by the op). Its really quite a drag and im considering raising a fault but im kinda loathe to have to go through the whole test socket yadda yadda shennanigans.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

Past the witching hour again...
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Jaggies,
I can see you've raised a fault and we'll be replying to you ASAP, in the meantime would it be possible for you to perform a speed test at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com
@MrK
You're on the same exchange as Jaggies, would it be possible for you to perform a speed test at the above link and then run through our faults wizard at http://faults.plus.net and we'll get this picked up?
MrK
Dabbler

Yes I can do that, will do so this evening when the slowdown happens. I think theres may be a "cooldown" on the BTtester now so will get a normal speed test from during the day asap after this evenings test.
Non BT test but just as a fyi, this is standard speed for me and in accordance with my sync speed and long line.