cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC keeps grinding to a halt

ericelgato
Grafter

FTTC keeps grinding to a halt

I've been having some weird issues over the last week or so.
My connection has previously always given me a pretty solid 63/17 Mbps.
Just recently I noticed that iPlayer was suffering from buffering issues, so I ran some speed tests and my download speed had dropped to under 5 Mbps (the upload was still giving me the usual 17 Mbps). I dropped and reconnected the the PPPoE connection which fixed it.
I've kept an eye on the connection and it keeps slowing down for no obvious reason. Pings remain normal, as does the upload speed. Reconnecting sometimes fixes it, but usually it doesn't make any difference.
I've also noticed that the PPPoE often takes far longer than you'd expect to connect. The supplied router gives the following error:-
[tt]'Connection could not be established: Concentrator not reachable'[/tt]
If you wait long enough (several minutes) it eventually does connect. Sometimes it connects more-or-less instantly.
I've had the same problems with various gateways including pcl-ag08, ptw-ag04, ptn-ag04 and pcl-ag02. I'm currently connected to ptw-ag04 and the speed is back to normal. A few minutes ago, with the same gateway, I was getting just under 10 Mbps.
The connection appears to stay up, and my IP profile hasn't changed (it's about right for the 63 Mbps I see when testing).
I seem to have the same problems with both the supplied router and my usual Vigor 2920.
Any suggestions?
8 REPLIES
Olifran
Grafter

Re: FTTC keeps grinding to a halt

I'm having similar issues. Ping still normal however speed 5MB?
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi guys,
If you see this, and you're using a Technicolor that we've sent, could you try the following if you're comfortable with using Telnet please? (if not, directions on how to enable and use it to connect are here: http://community.plus.net/library/dns/how-to-change-the-default-dns-servers-in-a-thomson-speedtouch-... just ignore everything apart from enabling telnet and connecting to the router/putting in username and password unless you want to change the DNS servers)
Once you've logged in to the router's telnet interface, please run the following commands one at a time:

:ppp ifdetach intf=Internet
:ppp ifconfig intf Internet gracefulrestart enabled
:ppp ifattach intf=Internet
:saveall

Hopefully that should stop you from getting that error, please let us know.
Olifran
Grafter

I'm using the PN supplied netgear WNR1000
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Olifran, your slow speed will be down to your profile being reduced due to the dropped connections caused by the extension cable you had in there. Now that's gone and the drops have stopped that should pick up within the next couple of days.
@ericelgato, please let us know if the instructions in my previous post above helps with the concentrator not reachable error?
Olifran
Grafter

Matt. I disconnected the extension cable last Thursday. My ticket has been updated and still shows drops. Could it be that it wasn't the extension after all. Please can you post radius graphs from last Thursday afternoon?
Thanks
Chris.
Edit - Forget to mention, my speed was good from last Thursday til yesterday. Hence why at first  I thought the extension was the problem. My PN Speed still says 37.8 on my account.
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yes, I could, but could you either post these requests in one of your other threads or start a new thread for them please? I'd rather not take this thread away from the OPs issue.
Olifran
Grafter

Yes ok. Apologies. I did ask in my other thread , ill find it.
ericelgato
Grafter

Matt - I don't usually use the supplied router, I was just trying it to check that it wasn't my router causing the problems.
My Vigor 2920 gives me a slightly more cryptic error message when it tries to connect, but it boils down to the same thing. It isn't a major issue at the moment as it does eventually connect, and the line appears to very stable once it is connected.
Since I managed to get reconnected at the correct speed in the early hours of this morning my connection hasn't slowed down. Hopefully is was some sort of temporary issue that has now fixed itself. I'll keep an eye on the situation and report back if the problems return.