cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noise Margin 2db?

volta84
Grafter

Noise Margin 2db?

My Noise Margin stats on my router is constantly jumping from 2db-8db.. Is this right? My connection seems really bad tonight.. Can't load speedtest. Tried cmd tracerts/ping -ts and they are 'Timed out' or 'General Failure'
help!
20 REPLIES 20
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Noise Margin 2db?

Do you have a netgear router - say a DG834 model? If so, it is very unreliable reporting SNR so I would not always believe what it says.
Have you tried rebooting the router which can resolve any router problems and possibly get you on a different gateway which may give you better speeds.
volta84
Grafter

Sorry missed out my 'Line attenuation' is at 8db and hasn't moved.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I'd also suggest rebooting your router, it's been online for almost a day so I'm guessing you've not tried this yet? Have you recently asked for interleaving to be turned off too?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

volta84
Grafter

I've read not to reset my router?
Yeah had interleaving turned off yesterday.. and on a Netgear DG834G
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: volta84
I've read not to reset my router?

A quick reboot isn't going to do any harm especially with your line being as short as it is. If you don't want to do this though then there should be an option within the router configuration console that allows you to disconnect/reconnect the PPP session.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

LittleReggie
Grafter

Quote from: Peter
Do you have a netgear router - say a DG834 model? If so, it is very unreliable reporting SNR so I would not always believe what it says.

is this true of all versions of the DG834? i have a DG834G version 2 and have noticed a similar thing. SNR can vary by as much as 4db around the current average reading. this means if my target SNR is 6db and i do a resync during the day, i often see spikes down to 1db or even lower at night. usually the router holds the connection though. i think my current target SNR is 9db, and the lowest SNR reading i have seen at night is 2db, which doesnt seem to cause a problem. overall the SNR reading jumps up and down constantly around the average figure.
volta84
Grafter

Is there any other way to check my SNR?
I did a reboot around 1:30am like you said and its working fine again now, thanks.
One thing I want to know is, my Router normally all the time Syncs at 8128 kbps downstream and 832 kbps upstream, yet my Profile to PS is 6.5mbit?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Peter, it's well known that Netgears give stupid figures when the margin drops to (or below) zero, but other than that I've not seen anything at suggests that the SNR they report is inaccurate. Could you elaborate please.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: LittleReggie

is this true of all versions of the DG834? i have a DG834G version 2 and have noticed a similar thing. SNR can vary by as much as 4db around the current average reading.

Noise margin is the difference between the level of the ADSL signal and the background noise on the line. Because the environment is full of electromagnetic signals this will vary constantly and is perfectly normal.
I am very fortunate to have an excellent connection - my profile has never, ever been anything other than 7150. My routerstats graph from today is attached. As you can see it varies significantly.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Have to get your self a decent line then John Cheesy
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

In the new year I'm getting myself a new faceplate, some cable and a couple of RJ11s Roll_eyes
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Good idea Strat  Shocked
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Or I could borrow Chris' blue ballpoint pen and straight edge Tongue
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I'd just move Dick if I were you, looks like a hopeless case there  Crazy