Did you mean: 

No Internet, No Help, No Hope

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Re: No Internet, No Help, No Hope

@banjomir wrote:

At this point, you may as well cancel and go with another ISP...plusnet is absolutely hopeless.

Different ISP, same BT Openreach and BT Wholesale services, so there is nothing to be gained in following your "advice".

Fact Check - Both BT Openreach and BT Wholesale are owned (are part of) BT PLC.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Alan1001 

Have you done the basics in your diagnostic journey? Used a handset to dial 17070 and check that...

1. There is a dial tone
  2. You are connected to the right number
  3. There is no noise on the line
  4. That you can dial out

There are a whole host of problems which might result in BT Openreach (or their sub-contractors) having cross connected your line.  Such could result in Plusnet's remote tests detecting a fault ... which is not found when the engineer tests from the property.

Whatever, before the next engineer leaves, ask them to confirm their no fault diagnosis with an Exchange Head Eclipse automated exit test.  I have had multiple engineers (18) attend a fault over many months, all claiming that there was no fault ... in the face of the exchange head test system clearly indicating that there is a fault.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Alan1001
Dabbler

Always good to remember the basics. Yes the line is fine - dial tone, correct number, no noise and I can dial out. On the first Openreach visit the engineer confirmed with Plusnet that a reset at the Plusnet end was detected by his tester - confirming that my line had not been crossed with someone else's i.e. both ends were testing the same connection.

Alan1001
Dabbler

Unfortunately things only seem to get worse. The latest Openreach engineer visit was this morning and again concluded there was no line fault. Mid-afternoon I called Plusnet Customer Support in search of an update. They had no knowledge of the results of the Openreach visit but did tell be that a dedicated Plusnet support person has been identified and they would be in touch with me by 18:00, 25th May – unfortunately that was yesterday – I have still heard nothing.

Plusnet have provided me with an EE wireless dongle which is giving me some internet capability but it is a very unreliable connection (slow with frequent dropouts). Currently I can receive but not send any e-mails (Plusnet email via Microsoft Outlook) – any ideas how to fix this (it worked OK previously when the Plusnet broadband was working)? I am guessing the EE wireless dongle cannot connect to the appropriate Plusnet e-mail server (I have not changed anything in Outlook).

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

This sounds as thought the outgoing server is not configured to use a username and password.

There is unhelpful guidance in the email setup documentation which suggests that there is no need to supply username and password for the outgoing (SMTP) server configuration. Such is fine whilst connected to the Plusnet network.

However when connected via some other means (such as an EE dongle) the SMTP server connection MUST be authenticated. Frankly there is no good reason NOT to configure authentication in the Outlook settings. Chose “same as incoming server”.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@Alan1001 I'm sorry to see this is still an issue, I've had a read through the notes, what routers is it that you've tried out so far? - Adam

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Alan1001
Dabbler

my original router is an ASUS DSL-AC52U, I have also tried a brand new Plusnet Hub One and a very old Netgear DG843G. Sadly with an equal lack of success with all of them.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 75

@Alan1001

when you have the Hub One connected what does the Help Desk page found under Troubleshooting display.

In event log select category WAN this may also have a clue on what's going on.

If you disconnect the DSL cable does the broadband led (b) flash?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Cheers @Alan1001 just to check too did each router present the same symptoms? i.e the broadband light flashing/on orange?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Alan1001
Dabbler

One small victory - I can now send e-mails. Thanks  - in addition to authentication I also needed to change the SMTP port from 25 to 587.

Alan1001
Dabbler

Dan_the_Van The broadband led (b) flashes when DSL cable is connected and goes off when the cable is reconnected.

The WAN event log contains lots of this:

01:17:59, 30 Aug.

( 1079.850000) PPP LCP Send Configuration Request

01:17:56, 30 Aug.

( 1076.850000) PPP LCP Send Configuration Request

01:17:53, 30 Aug.

( 1073.850000) PPP LCP Send Configuration Request

I assume the date/time is a default due to it not connecting.

The help desk page contains this (personal details replaced with xxxx):

1. Product name:

Plusnet Hub

2. Serial number:

+081441+NQ43006239

3. Firmware version:

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.289.1.3 Last updated Unknown

4. Board version:

Plusnet Hub One

5. DSL uptime:

0 days, 00:09:42

6. Data rate:

1031 / 6620

7. Maximum data rate:

1032 / 6620

8. Noise margin:

5.8 / 9.1

9. Line attenuation:

26.0 / 45.8

10. Signal attenuation:

26.6 / 46.6

11. Data sent/received:

-

12. Broadband username:

xxxx@plusdsl.net

13. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:

PLUSNET-xxxx

14. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:

Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))

15. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:

WPA2

16. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:

Automatic (Smart Wireless)

17. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:

PLUSNET-xxxx

18. 5 GHz Wireless connections:

Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))

19. 5 GHz Wireless security:

WPA2

20. 5 GHz Wireless channel:

Automatic (Smart Wireless)

21. Firewall:

22. MAC Address:

xxxxxx

23. VPI/VCI:

0 / 38

24. Modulation:

G.992.3 Annex A

25. Latency type:

Fast

26. Software variant:

AA

27. Boot loader:

Alan1001
Dabbler

Router symptoms:

Plusnet: solid orange light no (b), (b) flashes when DSL cable unplugged

ASUS: solid DSL light, no Internet light

Netgear: solid Internet light

None of them provided an actual Internet connection.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

That’s good news - you have xDSL sync but cannot attain a PPP session.

@adamwalker - is there any evidence of attempted PPP session establishment failure at Plusnet’s end?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@Alan1001 

This is indicating that the hub is synchronised to the exchange but there is a configuration problem at the Plusnet end. Is the xxx in your username correct? Can you use this on a different device, along with your password, to log into your Plusnet account?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Alan1001
Dabbler

I had the same thought early on in this saga and successfully logged into my Plusnet account to confirm I was using the correct user ID and password - it was the most obvious mistake that I could make!

If it's a Plusnet configuration issue I wonder what they changed around 13:00 on Tuesday 9th May? That's when my broadband died.