cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line reset - in training ? - is this normal behaviour

dc8
Grafter

Re: Line reset - in training ? - is this normal behaviour

Everything seems to running fairly smoothly here at the moment with connections ranging from 3800ish (current) down to 3200ish yesterday evening when the SNR started to drop a bit below 6.
Current line speed is sitting at 2.5 having been at 3 for a short while.
Couple of things though
1 I can't get more than about 100kbps download speed when browsing the web or downloading files - not sure why this should be as previously when I had some good connections rates I was getting around 250-300 ?
2 Have been running Routerstats during the time I have had issues and it has been invaluable helping me track down the problems and, hopefully, reach a solution BUT for some reason since the last rest (maybe a co-incidence ?) RS will just stop showing any data. It is not the router doing anything that I know of - it just drops speed, SNR etc down to 0 and site there quite happily plotting !! A quick click on the buttons and away she goes again. Can't seem to see what might be causing it as the periods it runs are quite variable. Anyone else had this sort of thing with RS ?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

That unfortunately is quite a common bug with RS from time to time. A quick Pause/Stop and then Start usually solves it. If it persists too frequently, try closing RS completely and re-opening it. If that doesn't have much effect, it might be worth renaming the RouterStats.ini file and reconfiguring it all - a bit tedious to say the least but there have been occasions when that ini file gets itself in a twist.
That's a bit disappointing if your Current Line speed is 2.5 because it sounds like a connection drop at some point. Check the BT IP Profile again as well, they should always end up matching but as you probably know the Current Line Speed will lag behind a bit until the BT servers send the Delta Report and Plusnet's script do an update.
Not sure what is causing the download speed issue, but some types of download speed may be restricted a bit at peak times. Other than that, high error levels could cause that, meaning lots of data retransmission.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

Quote from: dc8
1 I can't get more than about 100kbps download speed when browsing the web or downloading files - not sure why this should be as previously when I had some good connections rates I was getting around 250-300 ?

Are you sure that you are reading the units correctly?  File down load tools frequently report speeds in Bytes / second (kBps) not Bits per second (kbps).  250-300kBps would not be too far out for a 2.5 to 3mbps connected service.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dc8
Grafter

Hi Townman,
It was just a feeling initially that things were slow so I checked with the same tools that I have always had on the system - Networx and a download manager within Firefox itself.
Units shown on the Network graph are KB/s and these used to go well over 200 at one point. I also used to get over 120 on the Firefox download manager even when my initial problems started but this also ties in now with the figures from Networx showing around 80-100 !!
Took me 15 minutes+ last night to download a Java update (~55Meg) and I am pretty sure that with the speeds I am supposed to be getting according to my IP profile that there is something still not right with things. Your figures of 250-300Kbps were what I was expecting to see with the new "improved" connection and which I did see when I was reset a while back and during times when my profile was still OK before it dropped as I was looking for the problems on the line initially.
Was hoping that things were all going to run smoothly now but seems that this is still a pipedream lol !!
dc8
Grafter

Just thought I would check on the BT speed tester to see if my wireless was causing any problems but basically got the same results from both the wireless and Ethernet tests - attached.
Very confused now about what speed I should be expecting as current downloads are PAINFULLY slow and really not what I was expecting after all the other issues I have had recently.
Have had a rock steady connection now for over a day at 3808 as can be seen from the stats below. Now have interleaving turned on as the FRC count has started whereas before I was getting many CRC and ES counts.
Uptime: 1 day, 7:33:35
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 3.808
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 336,17 / 913,78
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,1 / 19,3
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31,5 / 56,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 18,0 / 5,8
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 18 / -
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 2 / -
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 11.290 / -
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 83 / 2.473.208
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 7 / 256
HEC Errors (Up/Down): - / 256 / 1.525
Anotherone
Champion

Looks to me like there is a stuck profile on BT's systems somewhere, not uncommon on 20CN. You still have your old 0.75Mbps profile by the looks of it. It'll need a techie CRT person to look at it. The BT IP Profile is wrong for the sync speed, but I'm wondering if this will all right itself after 3 days at this sync speed Shocked  Of course you shouldn't have to wait that long if someone can have a look at it  Crazy
dc8
Grafter

I wonder if there is any kind soul who might be able to tweak things at the weekend ? Cheesy
Anotherone
Champion

Doesn't look like it Sad  Is it still the same?
dc8
Grafter

Hi A,
Yep, frustratingly, still the same.
DSLstats shows a steady connection at 3808 and an up-time of 2 days 10 hours plus now so looks like things have settled down hopefully.
All I need now is to be able to download something without having to wait all day  Grin
Maybe there will be someone around on Monday who might be able to spray a bit of WD40 around and see if they can loosen the cogs up !!
dc8
Grafter

Still connected at 3808 so would appreciate if someone form PN could check why I am still limited to downloads around 100kbos please.
Current line speed is showing as 3MB.
Thanks in advance,
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Please do a full BTw speed test

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dc8
Grafter

Full test results attached.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Would you know if this is a CN20 (ADSL) or CN21 (ADSL2/2+) service?
There is history of CN20 BTw profiles being squiffy at times (another hidden BTw profile not being set properly).
@CRT,
Can someone review this please?
Edit: I'm reminded that sometimes after the PlusNET profile updates, the PPP session is not dropped to pick up the revised profile.  You can fix this by logging into the router and manually dropping to PPP session and then reconnecting.

dc8
Grafter

Hi T,
Its a 20CN connection AFAIK.
dc8
Grafter

Well, I assume something has happened as my connection has reset down to 2944 and my SNR is now sitting around 9 when it was well below this (around 5) for all the time I was connected at 3080, interleave has gone and download power has dropped as well.
One thing that hasn't happened though is an increase in speed !! I Had one "blip" where it went to around 200 but generally sat around the 100 mark !!