Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Speed and IP Profile low

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Line Speed and IP Profile low

At the third attempt: For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Bitemeh
Dabbler

Your results are very different than mine. Posted attachment Smiley
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Whatever you do, don't switch off the modem/router or resync, it will only slow the process down.
Try the BT Speedtester Diagnostic again until it's changed, when it has post here. Check your Current Line speed and post it (not your phone number).
Bitemeh
Dabbler

"Estimated line speed:
    8Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2012-04-15 14:03:19
Current line speed:
    7.15 Mb"
Bitemeh
Dabbler

Angry Angry Angry Angry
Cant even check my email. I find it hard to believe that unplugging my routor for only a few seconds can have this much of an effect. Ive never had this problem before or with any other provider. Speedtests are aweful!
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Plusnet are not to blame for this, its BT so you'd see exactly the same with any other non-LLU provider.
Is 21CN scheduled for your exchange? On that the IP Profile is set to 88.2% of the sync speed at the time you connect so you don't see these delays.
Bitemeh
Dabbler

Im sorry but too many times i hear "its not our fault", true it could be the exchange. But im not really blaming or pointing the finger im just ticked off im getting almost 0 speeds. Wouldnt you?Huh
Yes we are scheduled for bb increase but not for a long time. So far it has only reached glasgow i believe. Long way away from where i am. We could be waiting many months more.
Anotherone
Champion

I do sympathise, but jelv and I are both customers so we aren't saying it's not our fault, it's not Plusnet's fault, it is the exchange.
Have a read at http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm if you can get to grips with it. (Remember you are 20CN).
Yes we'd both be ****'d off if we had those speeds. I don't think unplugging your modem/router is the true cause, you've been unfortunate enough to get a one off severe burst of noise (or briefly plugged something in without a filter, or shorted the line) that gave you a low sync event.
Once your IP profile is back up, you should be able to switch it off when you want, because you are that close to the exchange you will always sync at 8128 unless there's a significant fault.
It's always best to power down the modem/router before unplugging it from the line. Ideally Disconnect the 'ppp' session by logging into the modem/router interface and clicking disconnect first. But when you are close to the exchange, you can usually get away without that.
If the profile is not back up in the morning, post another BT speedtest result and maybe Jojo or someone could do an SNR reset in case it's a stuck bRAS profile.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Bitemeh
Yes we are scheduled for bb increase but not for a long time. So far it has only reached glasgow i believe. Long way away from where i am. We could be waiting many months more.

Go to http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and put in your telephone number. On the results page look for 21CN WBC status under BT Wholesale information. That will tell you if BT have scheduled an upgrade for your exchange which will give you ADSL2+ speeds (in your case around 20Mbps) and instant IP Profile changes. Also in that section check if FTTC status says anything which will give you faster speeds (providing your line is connected via a cabinet and does not go straight to the exchange).
It's worth checking that page periodically.
Bitemeh
Dabbler

"If the profile is not back up in the morning, post another BT speedtest result and maybe Jojo or someone could do an SNR reset in case it's a stuck bRAS profile. "
Profile is still not rising. Speed is the same. 0.20. This defo needs looked at now pretty plz.. We are not scheduled for exchange maintenance yet. Thanks Sad
Anotherone
Champion

Need to post the BT Diagnostic speedtest result, check Current Line speed and request SNR reset & match current line speed if one/other or both need dealing with, then hopefully Jojo or someone else can deal with it.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Bitemeh,
The line is quite solid so I'll try resetting it. It can take 24 hours but sometimes be within minutes. I'll keep an eye on it to see if it changes.
Jojo Smiley
p.s. Happy birthday Smiley
Bitemeh
Dabbler

Thx for birthday wishes hehe. Just thought id keep you updated also. Tried a test same as before. Uploaded image for you. Thanks. Will keep waiting Smiley
Bitemeh
Dabbler

No change at all. Panic mode starting!! lol
Cry
Dunno if this is any help tp you....
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 7:44:14
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,128
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 7.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 2.5 / 4.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.0 / 12.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 11 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
Anotherone
Champion

Don't panic, like me, you are on a 20CN exchange and things don't happen quickly.
Edit: That's the first time we've seen your stats & OMG, do you live in a flat above the exchaange, or just camp in it?