Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introduction of Cessation Charge

paulby
Grafter

Re: Introduction of Cessation Charge

@metalblade
Remember the cessation charge only applies if you cease ADSL on your line altogether (i.e. you decide not to have any internet access, you move to cable or dial-up) . 
There's nothing to pay if you move to another provider (although chances are they'll be levying the same cessation fee as it's charged by BT Wholesale).
In response to 2) - As PN have given 30 days notice of a material change to your contract you should have 30 days to either cease your broadband altogether or move to another ISP without incurring any charges (i.e. your contractual obligations won't apply).  If you stay beyond the 29th October, you will be deemed to have accepted the new contract and will be bound by it.
Someone from PN should be along to answer the others and confirm the answer to no.2
fp
Grafter

I raised a ticket and the answer I got to no. 2 indicates I will have to pay  something: early termination or cessation charge, or both.   I have asked for confirmation that I understood the answer and am awaiting the reply.
cp:quote
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: Ian
[That is more profit than we make from plenty of customers over their entire life with us. I'm very happy to run through all of the wholesale economics we face here at any time

Go on then run though it for us please?
Quote from: Ian
I think you might be very surprised at just how tight the margins are in offering residential broadband in the current market.

so you only make £20 per customer though a life of a contract i.e I have been wity F9 since its first day So taking £20 hits the profit of my contract?  Go on Ian tell me how much profit F9 have made on my account you did say you would tell us
puddy
paulby
Grafter

Quote from: fp
I raised a ticket and the answer I got to no. 2 indicates I will have to pay  something: early termination or cessation charge, or both.   I have asked for confirmation that I understood the answer and am awaiting the reply.

Have a look at Jameseh's previous response on this.  Is this the same as was said in your ticket?
I'm not sure where things stand legally in relation to deferred equipment and activation costs but, AFAIUI, they cannot hold you liable for any subs outstanding if you had agreed to a 12 month contract.
If you don't leave within the 30 days however, you are bound by the new terms.
The relevant sections of PN's T's and C's are on this page (sections 23.1.3 and 24).
craigyoung
Grafter

@ Puddy
I think if you read Ian's post, he says £20 is more than they make from 'plenty of customers' not from your specific account.  He's talking averages.  Undoutbtedly older account will represent a higher profit as the set up costs have longer to be absorbed. Equally, the profit is lower from younger accounts.
Frogger
Grafter

The email does NOT make it clear that it does NOT apply to LLU served customers (Tiscali and like), as it says ... "This email is to let you know about a small change to the terms and conditions of your broadband service" . As I am LLU served I asked, and was told "No cessation charge is required if you are provisioned on tiscalli LLU."
Should Plusnet get their briefings clearer they could save themselves grief.
Colin
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Frogger
"No cessation charge is required if you are provisioned on tiscalli LLU."

That is not consistent with the answer to my earlier question about migrations to LLU providers  Crazy
Not applicable

If you have a cease on your Tiscali provided LLU - who do you think goes to the exchange to do the work?
Yup, Mr Openreach engineer, and he charges PN £20 for the priveledge, so they pass the charge down the line to you.
The only people it won't affect are those who don't have ADSL provided across the BT infrastructure (ie, the BT line coming into your home)
It matters not a jot in terms of this charge who the onward carrier of your traffic is - its the disconnection in the exchange that they are charging you for.
If you were on a Virgin cable product the charge wouldn't apply - but for everything through BTs exchange, it does.
If you have been told otherwise in a ticket, I would urge you to post the ticket number here so that somebody from Comms can locate the agent in question and make sure they are giving clear correct messages.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: metalblade
I have been a customer of Plus Net for a number of years now, when I moved to Plus Net by using a MAC key no equipment was provided for my up to 8MB broadband @ £21.99 per month. Over the years my useage allowance has fallen due to my terms and conditions being changed by yourselves. Last January I moved house and had to agree to stay with Plus Net for 12 month or incur charges, My question is - 
1/ what are these charges ?

The charge is for the cessation (read:complete disconnection) of the broadband service on your line.
2/ If I decide to leave Plus Net before October 29th will these charges still apply as you are changing the contract I agreed to ?

The cessation charge won't apply however judging from what you've said above you're need to pay off the deferred costs for the house move you had. If you're tied into an annual contract then we wouldn't expect you to pay the remainder of your monthly subscription payments. I'd have to check on whether or not you'd still need to provide us with 30 days notice as I'm not 100% sure.
3/ If i don't agree to the cancellation fee is there a link where I can end my contract with Plus Net ?

You'd have to request migration or cancellation via the usual channels.
The email does NOT make it clear that it does NOT apply to LLU served customers (Tiscali and like), as it says ... "This email is to let you know about a small change to the terms and conditions of your broadband service" .

AFAIK, it applies in exactly the same way to our Tiscali provisioned LLU customers.
As I am LLU served I asked, and was told "No cessation charge is required if you are provisioned on tiscalli LLU."

Were you told this by our support staff or elsewhere in this thread?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

James
Grafter

The email does NOT make it clear that it does NOT apply to LLU served customers (Tiscali and like), as it says ... "This email is to let you know about a small change to the terms and conditions of your broadband service" . As I am LLU served I asked, and was told "No cessation charge is required if you are provisioned on tiscalli LLU."

Hi Colin,
The email states that a cease charge does not apply if a MAC Key is used. So if you migrate to a different supplier, then no cease charge is owed.  However, if you are on Tiscali LLU and a cease order is placed, then a cease charge is owed.  We'd just be charged by Tiscali Wholesale instead of BT Wholesale.
James
Grafter

Quote from: metalblade
1/ what are these charges ?
2/ If I decide to leave Plus Net before October 29th will these charges still apply as you are changing the contract I agreed to ?
3/ If i don't agree to the cancellation fee is there a link where I can end my contract with Plus Net ?

1 - Any deferred contracts would still be owable, along with a 30 day notice period.
2 - The cease charge would not apply if leaving before October 29th.
3 - Just follow the standard cancellation path.
fp
Grafter

Can someone post a link to complain on-line to Ofcom about the cessation charge.  I trawled around their website, but found only how to complain on-line about big brother.  Probably pointless as history suggests Ofcom are about protecting BT from its customers and competitors, but may be worth a punt.
Not applicable

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/complain/internet should take you to the relevant section.
How you choose to go from there is up to you - it depends how you define the charge that you want to complain about.
If enough people complain, they'll change the site to include a direct link for that specific charge.
fp
Grafter

Thanks, but I am still being thick.  It seems to suggest a phone call or visit in person - rather than online form or email.
zubel
Community Veteran

Personally, I called them up yesterday.
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/contactus/
B.