cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introduction of Cessation Charge

James
Grafter

Introduction of Cessation Charge

I've just posted about this new charge in our Announcements Forum.
Please keep all discussion surrounding this topic here.
262 REPLIES 262
rammie1976
Grafter

Re: Introduction of Cessation Charge

Err I'm not sure I've got the right end of the stick here, but would there be a 'cessastion charge' if I changed my phone line from BT to Sky?
James
Grafter

Hiya,
You would only get a charge if there was a cease of your broadband service.
If you are merely paying Sky for the calls that you are making, then there would be no broadband cease and therefore no charge.
gswindale
Grafter

Examples of where the charge is payable can include moving house, or changing supplier.

Sort of understandable, but for the average user, moving from 1 house with a BT phone line to another with a BT phone line incurs no costs with BT (or at least that was the case last time I moved), yet the broadband connection which runs through said phone lines will be subject to a fee??  Seems a little daft to me - especially if I were to stay with the same ISP.
James
Grafter

Understood.
If a customer is moving house, we'll defer the cost of the 1st cease in a house move contract, if they don't have any outstanding deferred activation contracts.
The actual cease charge is to remove the broadband service from the property.  By the way, if they are moving to a house with a BT telephone line, whilst BT Retail don't specifically charge to turn the phone line on in their name, there is a Wholesale charge which they incur of £35.85.  They choose to absorb it under a 12 month contract.  We charge that, plus a £3 admin fee (ie: £38.85) because our Home Phone contracts (except Essential) are on monthly contracts.
mitchell20
Grafter

The email you have just sent out about isn't very well worded and is confusing:
This may mean you'd get charged if you cancelled your broadband service with us. Examples of where the charge is payable can include moving house, or changing supplier.

yet the next sentance reads:
Please note: this fee will NOT apply if you migrate to another provider using a MAC key - only if you decide to cease your service altogether.

If your changing supplier, surely the only way is via a MAC key isn't it?  Unless you mean changing phone line supplier?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If your changing supplier, surely the only way is via a MAC key isn't it?  Unless you mean changing phone line supplier?

Apologies for that, we do mean changing phone supplier in the latter sentence there.
James
Grafter

We did have a think about this yesterday when we (myself and Pete) were reviewing the email content.
Charges don't apply if you're using a MAC Code to migrate, but if you do move to a fully unbundled service, or if you cancel your service and place an order with a new supplier, there will be a charge.
paulby
Grafter

Unless you mean changing phone line supplier?

we do mean changing phone supplier

Surely only if this involves an ADSL cease and not if I choose to move my phone service away from PN to another supplier.  (For example if I keep my ADSL with PN and move the phone to BT or The Post Office).  
I could see the charge being levied if I moved to TalkTalk for example as they may initiate a BB cease when you move to their unbundled service (it shouldn't apply if you move to the service they supply on an exchange they haven't unbunled though as it would be a straight ADSL migration IPStream to IPStream and WLR to WLR).

Edit: Jameseh beat me to it!
puddy
Grafter

Customer who do not agree with these changes should let plusnet  know that they do not agree with the new prices and do so within 30 days.
What happens if I do not accept these changes?
Terms and conditions work both ways !
Puddy
James
Grafter

Hi Puddy,
Basically the notice of a change in the terms and conditions means that you can elect to leave Plusnet, forfeiting any contractual obligations (such as an annual contract).
I'm perfectly aware that a change in terms and conditions works both ways, hence why we have given our customers notice of changes.
The_10th
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
...If a customer is moving house, we'll defer the cost of the 1st cease in a house move contract, if they don't have any outstanding deferred activation contracts...

So if I were to move house (not that that happens much in the world given current world affairs  ;))  I wouldn't have to pay the new £20 cessation fee?
How long is the cost deferred for and will a month-month contract change to an annual one because of deferment?
To be honest, this charge will only act to increase the number of customers actually reviewing leaving their current ISP. I would have thought staying with an ISP should be cost free.
Who would want to do business with BT?  Roll_eyes
ratbag
Grafter

Those most likely to want to 'cease' their broadband connection in my opinion are those who can no longer afford it, maybe due to redundancy. What opportunistic timing then -- maybe on BTs behalf -- to increase this charge.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If I were to (hypothetically) downgrade my account to dial-up PAYG, would there be any liability for a cease charge?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Be3G
Grafter

I would imagine so, because your broadband connection would still have to be removed at the exchange, even though your account would remain open with PlusNet.