Did you mean: 

Internet keeps cutting out at random

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Re: Internet keeps cutting out at random

Hi @mickc29 

I have see you raised a fault through the portal. 

I have started work on this for you. 

Please click here to view the ticket i have updated and give it a read through. Reply to us with the information requested and we can progress this asap. 

Kind Regards, 

mickc29
Dabbler

I've gave all the information as far as I know, and had my router connected to the test socket for the past few days, however the problems still persist. I don't have another microfilter or router I could test this on, would this still mean I could be charged a fee? At the moment I'm sure these cutouts are getting worse. Just typing this message my internet has cut out a good 3 or more times

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks @mickc29 Engineer visits can be chargeable if the fault is found to be due to any equipment or wiring within the home, if no fault is found or if for some reason the engineer isn't able to enter your property at the time of the visit. With that in mind if there's a possibility of borrowing a spare router and filter to try I would look into doing that next. 

@GrahamTre I've sent a reply to the fault ticket on your account advising how we can move things forwards. 

@Nemo2000 I've just sent a response to your account too. 

@derenstar Everything looks good from our point of view, do shout up if you're still seeing problems. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Nemo2000
Grafter

Since the initial problem of several random losses of DSL within s short period, my line seems to have stabilised. It /may/ drop out on 1 or 2 occasions a week for a few seconds only. My only concern now is that speed is about 1MB slower than it used to be.

BT checked the line and reported 'no fault'. A long session of testing by Plusnet support yielded no fault. So sending out an engineer for a visit that would be chargeable to the customer if no fault is found seems a bit risky 🙂

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@Nemo2000 glad to hear your connection is more stable now.

As your speed estimates are between 1mbps to 3mbps and your connection is currently performing above that at 3.7mbps with no detected issues, I too wouldn't recommend an engineer visit at this stage. There can be various reasons why speeds drop over time though unfortunately it's still within expectations.

Is there any noise on your phone line if you dial 17070 from a home phone handset?

This may help diagnose the cause of the problem.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Nemo2000
Grafter

No obvious noise when dialling 17070.

>>>As your speed estimates are between 1mbps to 3mbps and your connection is currently performing above that at 3.7mbps with no detected issues, I too wouldn't recommend an engineer visit at this stage....

My feelings too. However, BT told me that the line supports 'at least 5MB' and certainly I used to get about 4.7/4.8 after the last time that they repaired a section of it. So they can't or won't explain why it has fallen now, which is frustrating.

Ah well......I suppose a (apparently) stable line is better than no line at all !

mickc29
Dabbler

My cutouts are still on going, is there anything still being done about it? I have noticed that when my internet cuts out, the broadband light flashes now (it was previously just a stable light and the internet light would be off), and when I pick up the landline it makes a sort of 'siren' like sound, I'll take it this is something to do with the line and not the router then?

Caerefail
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

The 'siren' like sound on the landline just means that you have a voice message - dial 1571 and follow the prompts. This shouldn't have any impact on your broadband.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello 'mickc29,

I can see a fault is currently active and would appreciate it if you could view the following ticket for further information surrounding this issue. Please get back to us once you have updated the ticket with the requested information.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team