cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet keeps cutting out at random

mickc29
Dabbler

Internet keeps cutting out at random

Hi, my internet keeps cutting out at random, usually a couple of times every hour for about 1-5 minutes each time. Any chance this could be resolved? Cheers

23 REPLIES 23
derenstar

Re: Internet keeps cutting out at random

Hi, we have been experiencing the same issues. I am currently trying to ring customer services and have been on hold for an awfully long time. We moved to a plusnet from BT less than 6 months ago mainly due to price. Wish we’d never bothered; we never had these problems with BT. 

Nemo2000
Grafter

I too have had similar problems, both with the connection and getting any 'support'.

Spoke to Plus support (long wait!), who diagnosed a line fault and referred me to BT (my phone provider). BT tested and said NO line fault, so referred me back to Plus 😞

Plus support had raised a Question No 175547366, but then closed this, so I can't reply on it !!!  Nor do I seem able to raise a new Question, and chat is OFF. Life is too short to spend all day hanging on the phone in a queue........

Grrrr 😞

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@mickc29

I've tested your line but we're not seeing any obvious problems. Can you try following the checks here next please? https://goo.gl/tu2WWu

@derenstar

Can you let me know how you get on with the checks mentioned on ticket 175589958 please?

@Nemo2000

Same goes, please let me know how you get on with what we recommended on 175590120 and I'll make sure we get you all sorted. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Nemo2000
Grafter

Thanks Adam. Now monitoring the situation following discussion with Support this AM, also covered by Q 1755901131. Speed has improved from 2.8MB to 3.9MB, waiting to see if it gets back to normal in due course (c.4.7MB).

derenstar

Thanks Adam.  I managed to get through yesterday and spoke with [CSA Removed]. He suggested it may have been because we were using an adsl filter and asked us to remove it which we did. Everything seems to be working ok now and we’ve not had any further dropped connections. Hopefully it stays that way.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): CSA name(s) removed (to an area staff can see) as per Forum rules.

GrahamTre

Hi Adam

I have been having somewhat similar problems; sorry I have not phoned, but I did phone a couple of weeks ago and had a long wait.  The guy tested my line and said it looked good but my IP address was quite old and he renewed it.  Unfortunately this did not make any significant difference.  I have attached a log for 27/5 which was pretty bad, that day I used mobile tethering to check my USB wifi, I also tried switching on/off and using a wire to reset.  No change still dropping.  During the longest continuous drop the Broadband light was still illuminated and not flickering.  Today I located the master socket and plugged in there and disconnected everything else, phone, etc.  No different.

I was not aware of the problem until I tried to update the maps on my sat nav; first it started coming up saying internet disconnect error, then I got a message to say maps corrupted, reload maps and then it packed up altogether.  I phoned TomTom to complain and they looked at my map download history and said that the frequent disconnects, particularly during the final stage, when the maps are transferred to the device had caused the problem.  I did not believe them, so I bought the Net  Uptime monitor from Thinkbroadband and was staggered by the level of disconnects.  

Maybe someone could phone me tomorrow and advise me on what we do next?  You will have my tel. number; I just need to reconnect the phone tonight!!  Thanks Graham

mickc29
Dabbler

Funnily enough, I done these checks the day I posted this and since then it hasn't done these drops in the connection. However, a couple of months ago it had been doing these drops for a while, so I disconnected everything relating to the router, restarted it and it was fine for a small period of time, then the drops in the connection came back, so I posted this question here. So now I worry that eventually my internet is going to start doing it again anytime soon, is there a permanent fix for this?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi all, 

@Nemo2000, looks like we're just awaiting your response back on the fault ticket, it's 175590131

@derenstar thanks for the update!

@mickc29  It's a lot easier for us to investigate that kind of issue when the issue is observable but the best thing to do is get back to me on here if that does happen. 

@GrahamTre sorry to see that, I'll look into what you were advised about the IP as the IP in itself has no effect on the connection. 

I've just checked your account myself and ran some diagnostics and everything is looking good, are you connecting to the service over WiFi? 

Adam

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Nemo2000
Grafter

Still monitoring...:-)

No apparent loss of DSL since Tuesday AM. No problem while using web and nothing on the router logs for 'quiet' hours.

However speed still stuck at 3.9MB, whereas previously getting ~4.8K. Might this increase with time?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Cheers Nemo2000, 

Yes, after the connection has remained stable for over 72 hours you should start to see some improvement. 

I'll check your account tomorrow so we can see where things are up to with that in case I need to intervene. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mickc29
Dabbler

Hi, could you check my internet again please? It's started dropping out again a couple of times an hour or so, cheers

GrahamTre

Hi Adam

I am having similar problems, I have now tested all the alternatives, connecting to master socket, using cable connection from router to PC and wifi options, regardless of the way I connect to the router I get drop outs daily, some have been for  more than a minute.

Attached is a graph of what has been happening over the past couple of weeks.  How do we take this forward?  Thanks Graham

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@mickc29  and @GrahamTre I've just checked your lines but tests aren't showing any obvious issues, the best thing to do next is to make sure the checks here have been ruled out: https://goo.gl/tu2WWu 

Once those are our of the way the best thing to do is report a fault over at http://faults.plus.net

Do keep us posted. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mickc29
Dabbler

I've done all the checks that I can do, and my internet is still constantly cutting out. It seems like it's cutting out a lot more frequently right now as well, but still only for about 3-7 minutes at a time. I'll be trying to load a webpage and all of a sudden it'll say there's no internet connection. I'll be connected to my router but it'll have a small exclamation mark next to the wifi