cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent very slow speeds

jayed
Grafter

Re: Intermittent very slow speeds

I know, but that is the only one in the logs due to it being in the firewall rules and it is 30 seconds prior to the reconnect.
jayed
Grafter

This screen is starting to look familiar...
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 2048 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 135 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 86 kbps
jayed
Grafter

I just read this on the kitz website:
~ What is "Adaptive Max Logic"?
    * Decreases in sync speed will still reflect in the IP profile within 75 mins.
    * Increases in sync speed will depend on the percentage of the increase and will vary between a few hours and up to 5 days.
A large % increase in sync speed should see the IP profile rise within 4-6 hours, whilst a small increase may take up to 5 days before the IP profile reflects the change. BT estimates that under "Adaptive Max Logic" more than 60% of increases will now occur before they would on the old 3 day system.
Examples:-
    1. - Large increase - Line dropped to a 576 sync during a thunderstorm (profile = 500), after a resync it went back up to 7616 (profile 6500). Profile increase = 6000/500 *100 = 1200% increase which should occur in 4-6 hours.
    2. - Small increase - Sync increase from 7616 (profile 6500) to 8128 (profile 7150) after interleaving removed. Profile increase = 650/6500*100 = 10% which may not take effect for 5 days.
How long it exactly takes for increases to be applied would also seem to depend on how busy the system is.

So my router synced at about 190 or something and dropped my speed, but it is now back up at 2048, so that is 2048/135*100=1517% increase. So why do I have to wait 3 days? Why not 4-6 hours?
mapletree
Grafter

Hopefully it will recover in a few hours this time. 
I have an idea: Maybe you could wait until your IP profile recovers and then switch off your router when you are not using the internet.  If you get a low sync speed then you can resync it before it has had time to lower your IP profile.  I haven't tried this but it might work.
Hopefully PN/BT will fix the underlying fault soon  Wink
jayed
Grafter

Yeah, I used to have my router off all the time, then was told it wasn't the best thing so I left it on... I just can't seem to win.
jayed
Grafter

haha, WoW wants to download a 1.62GB patch. That's gonna be fun at 10kB/s. I guess I can't use the connection for much else so may as well get it out of the way.
jayed
Grafter

I just had some tests run and my ticket updated and it said:
FRC change to DCN

What does that mean?
jayed
Grafter

Ok, a guess... "Failed Reconfiguration change to disconnect"? Although I still don't know what that means either.
jayed
Grafter

I've just got a message that they want an engineer to come out to check my line but if they find the fault is internal then I get a £144+vat charge, which I really don't need. I've asked to borrow a router to try to rule that out of the loop. I'm using my test socket so the three points of internal fault I can see are router, cable or microfilter. Is that right?
A borrowed router should remove that from the problem, then I just need to try to confirm that the cable and microfilter are sound. Is there any way I can do that well? I have two microfilters but I cannot know for sure that either really works.
jayed
Grafter

Oh, and I had this at the top of the message.
Any idea what the acronyms mean? I get the DCN (disconnect) one. I'm just wondering if AA may help me with some idea of the likelyhood of the fault being mine or where it could be.
CLT & TAM still pass, DCN ongoing. Fault in AA
mapletree
Grafter

Yes, we could use a glossary of all these acronyms  Wink
James
Grafter

Fault Report Code changed to Dropping CoNnection.
@ Jayed
Give me a bit of time to go through your fault and I'll see what's currently going on.  It sounds like your fault is already with BT and I'll see what the current state of play is.
James
Grafter

AA is Awaiting Appointment.
CLR & TAM are two different parts of the testing process.
We need to book an engineer appointment for you.  If you haven't managed to try a different router on your line, let me know and I can arrange for one to be sent out on loan.
jayed
Grafter

Hi James, I would like to borrow a router please. I put it my ticket though so make sure I don't get two :).
Is it a router/modem or just modem?
Oddly, I think BT have upped my profile today since it seems to be PN's restricting me right now.
And in bad news... My harddrive on my windows pc, which had been on for days monitoring the line, blew up this morning... sucks.
Thankfully they are pretty cheap now.
James
Grafter

Hiya,
I've just replied to your ticket letting you know that I've ordered a loan router.  It should be with you in a couple of days or so.
Good luck with the harddrive!