Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent slowdowns

James30
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 26

Re: Intermittent slowdowns

@hugonebula - Hi, I can do some digging, I just need some details. The username you have on your profile doesn't work if you can update it or PM me the username so I can run some tests. Cheers

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
James - Plusnet Sheffield
Plusnet Help Team
hugonebula
Grafter
Fixes: 1

I'm in the middle of an episode at the moment. I've texed the plusnet bot an waiting for a reply. Anything I can be looking for?

Edit. The moment the bot replies the speed goes back up. So of course the line appears to be performing well!

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

@hugonebula When the 'episode' has passed, post the error log as before - I may have a look tonight if it comes soon, or it may be tomorrow morning. Hopefully, @Dan_the_Van  may also have a look.

John
hugonebula
Grafter

Started about 19:50, ended at exactly the same time as the text message arrived that my line is performing well, at 20:02.

jab1
Legend

Think I'll leave this for Dan, I can't make much sense of it, to be honest.

Have you replied to @James30 , by the way?

John
hugonebula
Grafter

> Have you replied to @James30 , by the way?
Yes.
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 76

But has @James30 replied?

Off out soon so I won't be able to spend a lot time on the log.

A quick glance I see two IP addresses for a HP-Laptop. Are there two or one with a wired and wireless connection?

DHCP device Connected: 192.168.1.154, a0:ce:c8:b1:ff:4c, HP-Laptop - LAN 3

DHCP device Connected: 192.168.1.178, 28:11:a8:7b:a0:ac, HP-Laptop Wireless, this device might be switching between 2.5 and 5 GHz which explain the change of speed.

If it's the same PC one connection is advised.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@hugonebula It looks like we're waiting on a PM from you, please send it over when you can. 

James is back in tomorrow but it will reach me in the meantime if you send it over today.

Adam

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
hugonebula
Grafter

>If it's the same PC one connection is advised.

I was working with it on WiFi in another room, but when a slowdown started, I went and plugged it in.
hugonebula
Grafter

>@hugonebula It looks like we're waiting on a PM from you, please send it over when you can.
Sorry, what do you need from me?
hugonebula
Grafter

@Dan_the_Van wrote:

this device might be switching between 2.5 and 5 GHz which explain the change of speed.

The laptop doesn't have an ethernet port so I've been using it on wifi up to now. I bought a dongle last week to connect via a cable, because the first question that gets asked is, "try connecting via cable; does that fix it?"

The slowdowns occur at the same time on all devices connected, PC, chromebook, phones, etc., whether connected via wifi or ethernet cable. They have sometimes/often occurred when my laptop isn't on; I would turn my laptop on to connect to the router to try and see what's happening or post here, or reset the router.

The laptop being on or off, or being on wifi or ethernet, isn't a common denominator.

hugonebula
Grafter

Update:

I've changed the router from the Hub 2 to a Zyxel (from my time with John Lewis BB). 

After about an hour, speed dropped as previously:

Screenshot 2023-12-05 153808.png

I don't know how to get a proper log out of this router. 

This would seem to suggest it's not the router but the line.

jab1
Legend

@hugonebula I don't know if it is the Openreach line/equipment - I only saw one 'DSL Link up' event for the time period you were talking about - but strangely no 'DSL link down', as I would expect. I can't remember if you have said, but is your Hub connected directly to the Master socket, or is there some intervening cabling/equipment?

John
hugonebula
Grafter

It's connected via an Openreach installed data only outlet, connected via a cable routed on the outside of the external wall into the master socket.

20231205_160652.jpg20231205_160708.jpg

jab1
Legend

A slightly weird setup, but I wonder if that could be part of the issue. Has this issue always occurred since you had this, or is it recent?

John