cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Profile stuck?

shadowff6
Grafter

IP Profile stuck?

So, I had Fibre when it was the 40 Mbps download and 2 Mbps upload. My connection was pretty much always maxed out when I had that package and I was seeing 37 Mbps and 1.8 Mbps on speed tests which was really good.
Packages got upgraded to the 76 Mbps download / 20 Mbps upload, however my speeds seem to have stayed exactly the same. It feels like my speeds were never actually upgraded at all. BT speedtests (see attached image) show that my current Download IP Profile is set to 38.72 Mbps whilst the speed achieved during the test was 37.48 Mbps. Upload is showing an IP profile of 20 Mbps but only achieved 1.68 Mbps, which makes me think it's actually still set to a 2 Mbps profile..if that's even possible.
Can this be looked into please? I'm 99% certain nothing is wrong with the wiring in the house/the router etc.
28 REPLIES 28
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: IP Profile stuck?

It's possible you are getting the best your line is capable of achieving. The Upstream Profile on FTTC usually indicates the package profile what ever the actual sync speed, so you should be on the 80/20 package. The downstream profile means you are syncing pretty well exactly on 40Mbps.
I expect someone from the DCT could have a quick look to make sure your line profile is correct, but the low upstream speed suggests you are some distance from the Cab and the line is unlikely to go faster.
shadowff6
Grafter

I'm unsure how reliable or unreliable it is, but checking what speed I should be getting on my phone line using BTs checker suggests in the low 60s for my download and a full 20 for upload. I think the cabinet is right outside my house, although not 100% on that..it just seems a bit odd.
Anotherone
Champion

Hmm. If you put your number in this checker https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html it should tell you which Cab(s) you are connected to. The main problem is your line may not go to the Cab you think and it doesn't go direct to a Fibre one, it goes via your original Green Cabinet.
They have numbers on, so you should be able to locate them.
shadowff6
Grafter

Had a quick look on Google street view this morning and there seems to be several cabinets fairly close to the house. The furthest probably being 200 M away. I'll need to check which one I'm connected to later when I go out. I've attached the image after checking on the BT checker and the results are the same as mentioned earlier.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi there,
I can see you've raised a fault and we're currently testing your connection, your upload was set to 2Mb/s so I've changed to to the 20Mb/s product.
We'll update you once testing has been completed.
shadowff6
Grafter

This is a little odd. I asked on the forums if I could be changed to 20Mb/s (up from 2Mb/s) a few weeks ago and was told by a member of the plus.net team that I would already be on this setting because of the package I was on. I guess this could have just been a misunderstanding.
Thanks for changing me over the 20MB/s product though, any idea how long this should take to go into effect?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

This will complete tomorrow for you.
shadowff6
Grafter

Thanks for the very swift response Chris! Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

I see this has also shown up a further anomaly of the BT Speedtester, the Upstream Profile isn't reflecting the package then, unless there was something weird going on in this particular case!
shadowff6
Grafter

I had thought the same myself. It does reflect what I was saying about seemingly being on a 40/2 package still though really, doesn't it?  Undecided
Anotherone
Champion

Oh well, see what tomorrow brings  Wink
shadowff6
Grafter

Upload speed still seems to be the same, even after a router reboot. Did the order for the change go through okay?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Not sure what's happened with that order but for some reason the upload was still capped at 2Mb/s. I've placed another order to raise this to 20Mb which will complete tomorrow - I'll check on it in the morning and let you know. Sorry about that!
shadowff6
Grafter

Still no change in speed, has the order not gone through again?