cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC speed or lack there of.

pod000
Grafter

FTTC speed or lack there of.

After a nightmare to actually get fibre broadband installed I am now facing a slow connection which has been ongoing for the last 24hrs.
I phonedPlusnet and have done the connect straight to the modem and done the three speed tests which gave download speeds of 4---4--2Mbps with upload speeds hovering around the 15.3Mbps. Ihave included the last test I did..
This is a copy/paste of Plusnets speed profile .
Estimated line speed:
    40Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2013-01-03 20:30:29
Current line speed:
    77.4 Mb
The 40Mb is strange as I was on the wrong profile but after phoning Plusnet that was sorted in 48hrs and I was getting speeds of 75Mbps though it did fluctuate.
153 REPLIES 153
AndyH
Grafter

Re: FTTC speed or lack there of.

Hi
Do you know which exchange you are on? You can check here http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search
Can you try a speed test here: http://www.speedtest.net and share the result (image) here?
pod000
Grafter

Thanks Andy I have checked for news on any trouble at my exchange. Nada.
Heres the speedtest result
AndyH
Grafter

The reason I ask about the exchange is there are some other users seeing peak time slow downs that looks like its due to congestion.
pod000
Grafter

I see thanks . I have noticed slow down at peak times but nothing to write home about. Sometime late last evening I lost 70Mbs of download speed and everything else about my line stayed the same  Undecided
When I phoned plusnet the agent I spoke to kept impressing on me that if an engineer comes out and its down to my internal wiring I would be charged £60.
I am using Plusnets router with supplied cables and the openreach modem. I have connected two computers vis Ethernet directly  to the modem and tested the speeds.
ping was constantly around 20ms and upload around 15.3Mbps but the download speed varied between 2.35Mbps and 7Mbps.
AndyH
Grafter

Any ideas how long it's been going on for?
Do speeds return to normal outside the peak times?
AndyH
Grafter

Also, have you tried disconnecting/reconnecting from the router admin page to see if that helps?
pod000
Grafter

Andy as I said in my first post it`s about 24hrs. have restarted gateway from admin page. powered the router down and reset the modem but it does nothing the line stays constantly slow on the downstream.
shalom2010
Grafter

I think you should consider visiting https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults to run through the faults process
Finguz
Grafter

Which exchange did you say you were on pod000?
pod000
Grafter

I didn`t Finguz but it is Scarborough in the frozen North.
@shalom  doing kbdfaults now  . thank you.
Finguz
Grafter

I knew you were going to say that.
Same issues here on the same exchange  Roll_eyes
Apparently the exchange is showing as amber so we are suffering from congestion. Hopefully it will be sorted out by tuesday!

pod000
Grafter

Small world. I checked the exchange earlier and nothing was showing? Very comparable line stats though. I was aware of the slowdown late last night so doubt it is congestion.
I`ve only had broadband with Plusnet for 14days and it took them 2 1/2 months to get it put in. Sheesh just call me Lucky  Shocked
Finguz
Grafter

The checker only shows 20CN status, not 21CN  Sad
I was informed via my Plusnet fault ticket..
Thank you for your continued patience. As per my message on the Forums, I have taken a look at the latest SVLAN report which is showing your exchange VP as 'Amber'. We are looking at a time period of 2 days for the VP to be increased.
AndyH
Grafter

This could be the upgrade (Mon morning) - http://status.zen.co.uk/broadband/maintenance-outage-details.aspx?reference=213890
Are those numbers in your area?