Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extension Cables

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Extension Cables

Good idea. Post as soon as you spot any oddities.
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Will do  Smiley
Let's be careful out there !
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

If you fancy getting a bit more technical with the monitoring, but it means leaving the computer on to do so -
Try RouterStats-Lite from here. Very easy to set up. Create a folder some where convenient - ideally in root (C:/) so there's no privilege issues. You can create another folder somewhere if you want to save the Captures and Log file in a different one.. Below is my suggested setup from one of the previous versions, there may be very minor changes.
Do not click on the Start Arrow, bottom left, yet! But it ought to automatically open at the Setup tab the first time anyway. Maximise the RouterStats Window.
First go to the Setup tab, then the Router tab and select your modem/router.
The URL tab should show the path where you get the stats, tick the box for the full path.
On the Login tab, there should be a tick in the box 'Router requires you to login'
The Username will show the default one, which you may have changed (admin for the 582n).
The password may be a default one (unless changed by you) or the one provided with the router originally - note, this is not your broadband password.
On the Graph tab, initially, leave ticks in the Adjust axis automatically boxes, you may want to alter the settings later. Tick Noise Margin Vertical Axis 'Plot average value of previous 50 points', but not the Connection Speed average. Remember to click Apply on any you change.
In the Sample Interval box choose 'Sample router every 10 seconds' and 'Points per page 720'
Next, go to the Capture tab. Define the folder where you want to save the Captured graphs, this could be the folder where you've installed RSL or another of your choice. Tick 'Capture noise margin graph images', also tick 'Capture part-graphs when RouterStats-Lite closes'. Tick the other two graphs if you wish. I'd tick the sync speed in the current situation.
Go to the Log tab, type the filename you want for the log, e.g. RSLite.txt & then browse to the folder you want to save it in, suggest the same as the graphs, when selected, the full pathname will appear in the box. Comma separated values is selected by default, and log every 1 sample.
Nothing to change on the Appearance tab.
On the System tab, tick 'Minimise to system tray', 'Prompt before closing', 'Show noise margin on tray icon' & 'Show tooltip hints'. If you want the Ping plotter, tick that as well. On the PIng tab you need to specify the IP address to ping - try 212.159.13.49 - one of Plusnet's ntp servers.
You can now go to the Noise Margin tab and click on the green Start button. You should see a Green Camera icon on the LHS showing capture is active.
If you  right click on the graph, the drop down menu shows a tick against Capture. You will also see some other handy options you can use at any time.
There is a minor bug in the last 2 versions where the ping is not being Captured automatically, so if you want one, do a right click Capture now.
Maximise the RouterStats window before Minimising it to the Tray. This ensures captures are at the full screen size showing the most detail (as far as the SNRM is concerned).
HTH.
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

That sounds like a worthwhile task. Thanks
I'm away from the PC during the week so it will be the weekend before I can do this but leave it with me. I've seen reference to this utility in other posts so I'll be interested to see what it gives.
The weekend will be interesting as I will have a full week of data for PN to analyse if necessary.
I'm not massively down on speed as I reckon I should be able to achieve a steady 6Mbps without the disconnections dragging me down. As it is I'm getting between 4.5 and 5 but that little extra should be achievable.
Let's be careful out there !